Flying "H" chainsaw attachment

shinnlinger

Folks,

I am sharing an idea I call the "Flying H" I whipped it up in about 20 minutes this weekend and it consists of two 10 inch pieces of angle iron (I happend to have some aluminum) which I modified a bit and stuck it on the bar of one of my chain saws.

It makes a table to guide the chainsaw with a good deal more precision than freehanding it. I stuck it back just far enough to cut the beams I needed it to, but far enough forward so you can still tighten the chain and have good visibility.

It works well and speeds up cutting big timbers that you might encounter when constructing a pole barn or timber frame.

Attachments

• Hcloseup1.jpg
    Hcloseup1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 158
  • Hhead on.jpg
    Hhead on.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 150
  • H'Naction.jpg
    H'Naction.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 153

quincy

I agree with Doug, patent it... and pronto!
I'd buy one if I came across it in my hardware store.. I like it........... its clever and simple (as most of the best stuff is).
Why the hell didnt I think of that...lol
Gonna have to make one of those.....

Bravo Shinnlinger...
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree. :applause: :applause: Nice job.

I hate to say it, but, You better be talking to a patent lawyer. Patents can sure get complicated.

shinnlinger

About the patent....

Althought I did think about it for a while, it is really easy to make and If I saw it it I would just copy it using an old bed frame rail and you should too. The hardest part was drilling the bar, which you would have to do anyway.

I also think it is pretty limited to who would find this usefull. First you need to already own a chainsaw AND want to cut more than a few big timbers, which is not all that many folks.

Second when someone cuts their leg off I don't want to be named in a suit and I hear it is over 16 large to patent and then after that of course I would have to go about getting them manufactured and in stores which leads me back to who would buy it?

So if it usefull to you great.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe you could sell the idea to a chainsaw company. They already have liability insurance. :D

shinnlinger

Mark,

Thanks for th site, I checked it out but someone has already patented my idea so I don't have to worry about it. The other idea clamps on which is what I would do if I went to retail it and it has some angle adjusment which may increase it's usefullness.

I will maintain that my idea is cheaper and easier..hope someone can use it.

N

Nicahawk

I'm going to my machine shed in a few minutes and will look thru my metal pile....I'm pretty sure I have some 1" alum angle. I'll have one in a day or two! Wonderful idea.
Nic

shinnlinger

I think thin steel bedframe angle iron might be as good if not better. Not too heavy yet not as likely to bend.

I am now (with chaps on) flipping the saw verticle and cutting that way also on certain cuts..it really speeds up my purlin job!