New Place

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
We've purchased 30 1/2 acres of land in Southwest Virginia, SW of Smith Mountain Lake just south of Rocky Mount.

The plan is to gradually clear it, build the barn and fences, then the house so it is ready when Beth retires in 5 years. I'm already retired so I will be able to spend time there working on it.

The previous owner cleared space for a road and a house site. The remainder is forest and undergrowth. about 2/3 is level to rolling. There are two streams and the back of the lot begins a rise to the mountain behind the property.

Here's some pictures.

first is aerial view, beside that is part of the road to the lot
below is part of the cleared driveway, beside that is the back of the clearing.
next is the cleared driveway as you leave the clearing headed back to the road and the neighbor's barn and some turkeys in the foreground.

No, our barn won't be a 12 stall covered in brick. That thing probably cost more than my house.

Jim

Attachments

• lot_5_aerial.jpg
    lot_5_aerial.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 50
  • road.jpg
    road.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 49
  • lot_5_driveway.jpg
    lot_5_driveway.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 49
  • lot_5_clearing.jpg
    lot_5_clearing.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 47
  • leaving_clearing.jpg
    leaving_clearing.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 48
  • turkeys.jpg
    turkeys.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 55

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous Jim. WOW. I like the rolling hills better than my steep ones. And you are surrounded by other land owners with treed acreage. :thumb:

You have a lot of work in front of you and it should be awesome! I hired a dozer to come in once a year for 3 years until I got trails and access to all of my 50 acres. It can save a lot of work on your tractor, and the job was really meant for a dozer.
Keep us posted ....and more pics required when you get the opportunity.

B

bczoom

Great looking place Jim!!!

The plan is to gradually clear it, build the barn and fences, then the house so it is ready when Beth retires in 5 years.
You may want to check with your town/county before taking too many plans with this course of action. Many now require the house to be built before any accessory buildings.

I did a quick google search on google and this was one of the first sites.

http://www.co.caroline.va.us/commdevfaq.html

"May I construct an accessory building/structure before I build my house?"

No, the principle structure/use (house) must be established prior to the construction of an accessory building/structure.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You may want to check with your town/county before taking too many plans with this course of action. Many now require the house to be built before any accessory buildings.

We checked before purchase. The property is not zoned so just about anything goes as long as we file and follow a "Farm Use Plan", obey the setbacks (easy to do on 30 acres) and don't build on top of the septic field. We will have to go through the permit process for the house since it is a residence, not a farm building.

The neighbor with the show barn next door does not have a house on the property and no plans for one. She lives 10 miles away in town. Another neighbor doesn't live there either but leases their place and it only has a couple of run in sheds and a small barn.

Jim

Big D

Jim, That place looks unbelievable. 30 1/2 acres will definately fill up a lot of your retirement time. I wouldnt even know where to begin but that wouldnt be a problem i would mind having. Just be carefull exploring the properity and have a blast, im sure you have earned it.:beer:

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Just be careful exploring the property and have a blast :beer:

It's on the side of a mountain so I'm sure there are some of those long creatures with no legs.

It's in Franklin County, once known as the moonshine capital of Virginia. Might turn interesting if I find a still. :shitHitsFan:

Jim

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's on the side of a mountain so I'm sure there are some of those long creatures with no legs.

It's in Franklin County, once known as the moonshine capital of Virginia. Might turn interesting if I find a still. :shitHitsFan:

Jim

I had to get over my fear of snakes when we moved to the country. They don't bother me now. Rather fascinating in a way. I will now pick them up (with leather gloves on). I'm working up to picking them up barehanded ... but I have not seen any out and about on my property this year.

Moonshine! No wonder your moving to the country. This should be interesting. (We'll understand if you do some late night wacky posts. :yum: )

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Moonshine! No wonder your moving to the country. This should be interesting. (We'll understand if you do some late night wacky posts. :yum: )

If I don't find one I may build one. Have any links to a good construction article?

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
little more information about Franklin County.

This caption and photo are on their web site.

Mary Lawson with the US Army Corps of Engineers works with Franklin County to GPS a new 4.5 mile trail at Philpott Reservoir.
Mary takes a detour from the trail to capture
the GPS location of an old distillery.

Attachments

• Philpott_Distillery.jpg
    Philpott_Distillery.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 47

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like a good sideline for you Jim. Set up a still and a little cabin, etc... and say you are recreating the old moonshiners homestead. You might even be able to have tours stop by. I'm sure you would have some moonshine for them to sample. :thumb: :D

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
I worked and lived down there for a bit and I can honestly say Franklin County still (no pun intended) produces the best moonshine. I've drank some moonshine in my day but the best was from Franklin CO. Tiny bubbles!!!!!!!!