My patch o' dirt

mobilus

Bought this ten acres and home in 2000. I've enjoyed it ever since, but I have really enjoyed it since getting the Kubota.

Wish I knew how to make a panorama...

Attachments

• DSC00732.JPG
    DSC00732.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC00733.JPG
    DSC00733.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC00734.JPG
    DSC00734.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC00735.JPG
    DSC00735.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 619
  • DSC00736.JPG
    DSC00736.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC00737.JPG
    DSC00737.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 618
  • DSC00738.JPG
    DSC00738.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 601

Mith

Very nice size plot, your house looks very generous in size too! :D

It does look very dry in the pictures. Is this a function of drought, or is it normally dry?

Thanks for posting

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice size plot, your house looks very generous in size too! :D

It does look very dry in the pictures. Is this a function of drought, or is it normally dry?

Thanks for posting

Jim, I was born and raised less than 20 miles from Mark's place and it is dry. I think it is even dryer than usual this year.

Jim

Bindian

Oh Shinn! :rolleyes: Don't you know that's a New Hampshire thang!?! ;) Same as the excavator in the back yard for the kids to play with! :D

And not a single gosh-darned rock in sight! :) Isn't that fabulous!!! :D

Dougster :starbucks:
Dougster,
When God made Texas, he rolled the rocks up north across the Red River.:yum::yum::yum: I will post some photos of my place here when the grass turns green in about a month or so.
hugs, Brandi

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster,
When God made Texas, he rolled the rocks up north across the Red River.:yum::yum::yum: I will post some photos of my place here when the grass turns green in about a month or so.
hugs, Brandi
They say it's a beautiful thing to be able to dig a hole with your backhoe and not hit granite boulders and/or solid bedrock.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know. :rolleyes: Never had that pleasure. :eek:

They say it's a beautiful thing to be able to dig a hole with your backhoe and not hit granite boulders and/or solid bedrock.

Doug, I can only dig about 20' down or so, ah because that is all the deeper that my hoe will reach.:cool:

Bindian

Dougster,
It is a sweet feeling.:cool: Dad had white stones on the farm he was raised on in the Panhandle. The stones popped up each time they plowed. He and his 5 siblings hauled them in a horse drawn wagon and piled them beside the barn. To this day you can spook a cotton tail and sometimes a jackrabbit beside that pile of stone.:thumb:
hugs, Brandi

N

Nicahawk

Bought this ten acres and home in 2000. I've enjoyed it ever since, but I have really enjoyed it since getting the Kubota.

Wish I knew how to make a panorama...
Mobilus,
Beautiful place!:applause: Your grand children would love it if you had a couple miniature donkeys.
icon12.gif

D

Deerlope

Doug, I can only dig about 20' down or so, ah because that is all the deeper that my hoe will reach.:cool:

Man thats got to be something to be able to dig that deep without hit a boulder. I can't even walk across my lawn without stumbling over one. I can not remove it either because of it be ledge rock that runs for miles.

larryRB

Being Dougster comes here now and then, and makes fun of me here about our humble home and property, I thought I would offer these,

1 our house sits 600 ft from the water and up high

2 using above pic, we walk 300 right then look down on our lower field

3 using neighbors pontoon boat

Attachments

• Image005rs.jpg
    Image005rs.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 718
  • Image002rs.jpg
    Image002rs.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 735
  • Image005BR.jpg
    Image005BR.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 710
N

Nicahawk

Being Dougster comes here now and then, and makes fun of me here about our humble home and property, I thought I would offer these,

1 our house sits 600 ft from the water and up high

2 using above pic, we walk 300 right then look down on our lower field

3 using neighbors pontoon boat
How's the fishing........looks like the answer might be real good! Real nice place.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice place Larry. How big is that lake? Beautiful setting!!!!

larryRB

not a lake, it is one of many ponds that start in Putnam CT and flow due north, naturally, flowing into one another, eventually feeding Quabin resevoir that feeds greater Boston. On my side here,, the water surface is 270 acres in size.

mobilus

Thanks for the compliments! :tiphat: Modest by some people's standards, but I grew up poor in south Alabama, and I could wish for none better. All 20 years of moving all over the globe, I had one goal: To retire from active duty and use my pension to pay for my house and land. You'd be suprised how many times that dream kept me signing the dotted line for another four year enlistment. All in all, the Air Force has been very, very good to me.

Mith, yes it is dry here. And we're in a drought as well. :letitsnow: We had an exceptionally wet Spring last year and the underbrush grew high...this has resulted in some pretty hot brush fires this Fall and Winter. Anyone with any sense at all keeps the undergrowth cut back aways from their house and outbuildings. On Jan 1 of 2006, the little town of Ringold TX just about completely burnt down due to a brush fire. It was then that I joined the volunteer fire department in my community.

Oh, we added two bedrooms and a bath, and now it is at 3K sq ft. Remember, we had FOUR kids at home until a recently. With my bunch, even that got crowded at times. It has been great to be the place that our kids friends liked to come to.:chef:

Shinn, the schoolbus thing went right over my head...? :huh: Yeah, the fences keep animal in, you're right about that. I raised Boer and Nubian cross goats for a few years when we got here. Got out of it a couple of years ago when I sold the herd to pay off a note. :sad:

Nica, that's probably true...but I don't need the pasture ornaments right now. My neighbor just gave me 16 chickens and they've got a while before they start laying, so that's enough feed expense for right now. Besides, I might just buy a cow/calf pair when it starts to get green...if we get some rain soon.

Awww, come on Brandi, EVERYBODY's grass is dead now...ain't it? Don't let that stop you. :poke:

Archdean, thanks for trying to do the pan, but all I got was a little X in a box. :respect: Still better than I could do, I think.

Larry, that's a great place! :respect: It's funny how folks notice the attributes of a place. When y'all notice that there are no rocks, you don't notice the dense clay that makes the leech field much less efficient. Stuff like that. When i look at your places, I see the beauty in the hills and trees, water, etc. I don't even think about the rocks. Isn't that somewhat akin to the "grass is greener over the fence" theory.

When my youngest daughter moved to Phoenix AZ to live with her mother, she had that perspective. Thought it would be great. She called me halfway through the school year wanting to move back:shock: ...but I made her finish the year out. When she returned, I told her that when the grass looks greener over on the other side of the fence, sometimes it has been fertilized with a lot of bullshit.:shitHitsFan:

Hot dang, I'm long winded this morning. Gotta get to work.:rolleyes: