Do You Use Tire Goop?

N

Nicahawk

I've been using Green Slim in the tires of my mowers but have been told this stuff is not good for the tires. I heard there was some pink or red stuff (don't know the name) that is recommended. What experience does everyone else have?
icon5.gif

Mith

I tend to avoid it for a different reason.
It makes a mess, and really is only a temporary fix. You are alot better off in the long term just tubing the tyre. Tubing a tyre which has had goo put in is not much fun.
I've used it in a bind before, when fitting a tube isnt an option.

Not heard about it damaging tyres before, I've seen tyres with goo in them so old that it has dried up and hardened.

N

Nicahawk

I tend to avoid it for a different reason.
It makes a mess, and really is only a temporary fix. You are alot better off in the long term just tubing the tyre. Tubing a tyre which has had goo put in is not much fun.
I've used it in a bind before, when fitting a tube isnt an option.

Not heard about it damaging tyres before, I've seen tyres with goo in them so old that it has dried up and hardened.
That's probably the problem, it just gets hard and makes a big mess. I try to avoid it but have used it in emergency situations.

mobilus

Down here in Texas, in the land of the mesquite thorn, if it goes off-road, it has Slime or some other brand in it...or you're sitting there with a flat tire. Tubes won't fix our problem with these thorns.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Down here in Texas, in the land of the mesquite thorn, if it goes off-road, it has Slime or some other brand in it...or you're sitting there with a flat tire. Tubes won't fix our problem with these thorns.

Sounds familiar. I have a what appears to be a multiflora farm with thorns everywhere. I slimed all four of my tires before they ever get a leak. It works great. It usually lasts for a couple years then I have to reapply. It doesn't seem to work as good the 2nd time around and I wondered if that was because of the old slime that was still in the tire.

I've never heard anything about it being bad for the tire .... but yep, it is a mess for the tire changer :hide:

N

Nicahawk

Around here a lot of folks with CPR land will bush hog their sand hill plum bushes down. The stubs are strong and will go right thru OEM 4 wheeler tires. I've ruined 3 in the past year.
icon13.gif
They make a ATV tire with a higher ply rating for the serious riders but there pretty pricey. I've learned to avoid areas that have been freshly mowed/cut. I've heard that mesquite thorns are bad dudes. We didn't have that many mesquites when I lived in Tyler and was into dirt bike riding, and none out Lubbock way when I lived there.

Mith

We use a product called thorn-guard to prevent punctures from stuff you run over. Made by Moplant which is a UK company.
Its a liner that goes inside the tyre inbetween the tread and part of the sidewall, and the inner tube. Its a rubber and kevlar liner. Stops the thorns and glass etc from puncturing the inner tube.
Blackthorns is what gets us here, and glass/metal etc too.

N

Nicahawk

We use a product called thorn-guard to prevent punctures from stuff you run over. Made by Moplant which is a UK company.
Its a liner that goes inside the tyre inbetween the tread and part of the sidewall, and the inner tube. Its a rubber and kevlar liner. Stops the thorns and glass etc from puncturing the inner tube.
Blackthorns is what gets us here, and glass/metal etc too.
Just did a Google search for dealers in the US but apparently there isn't any. Sounds like an excellent way to protect the tires.

Mith

There you go then Nica, come up with a similar product, or check their patent doesnt extend to the US. Make your millions! I'll be expecting my cut though!

N

Nicahawk

There you go then Nica, come up with a similar product, or check their patent doesnt extend to the US. Make your millions! I'll be expecting my cut though!
Sounds like a plan!
icon14.gif
Unfortunately when I have some wild idea of making big bucks I get laughed at. It's always my WIFE!:yum:

mobilus

Nica, that's a conditioned response that women are taught in WIFE SCHOOL. Some say it's not real, but I think it is:hide: ...otherwise, how do you explain the similarity of 99% of wives' responses to our strokes of genius? :shitHitsFan:

Nica, the reason for the mesquite infestation here is from the cattle drives of the old days. The beans were eaten by the cattle down in and around Mehico and a little later deposited on the trail as the cattle headed to the railheads in Kansas. So I've been told, anyway.

N

Nicahawk

Nica, that's a conditioned response that women are taught in WIFE SCHOOL. Some say it's not real, but I think it is:hide: ...otherwise, how do you explain the similarity of 99% of wives' responses to our strokes of genius? :shitHitsFan:

Nica, the reason for the mesquite infestation here is from the cattle drives of the old days. The beans were eaten by the cattle down in and around Mehico and a little later deposited on the trail as the cattle headed to the railheads in Kansas. So I've been told, anyway.
I think we need more men teaching in those schools!:yum: :yum: :yum: Bet it won't happen in our lifetimes.:pat:

The spreading of the mesquite bean sounds probable. I think there are some mesquite trees in OK as well.

xPosTech

And here all along I've thought it was Juanny Mesquiteseed. :yum: :yum:

Ted

mobilus

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Now THAT'S funny!

If it had been, he should have been lynched before he got past Brownsville! The folks of this great state spend millions every year combatting the crap. :mad2:
Mesquite, that is, not cow crap.:pat:

Anyway, it does run up into Okleehomie a ways.

Texas was supposedly beautiful grasslands before the evil weed came along. Now, it is a constant battle for ranchers. And they say it is responsible for a lot of our drought conditions, because it is a very thirsty plant that sends out runners. If you've ever dug one up, you know what I mean.:soapbox: It'll make a preacher cuss!

xPosTech

:yum: :yum: :yum:

Now THAT'S funny!

If it had been, he should have been lynched before he got past Brownsville! The folks of this great state spend millions every year combatting the crap. :mad2:
Mesquite, that is, not cow crap.:pat:

Anyway, it does run up into Okleehomie a ways.

Texas was supposedly beautiful grasslands before the evil weed came along. Now, it is a constant battle for ranchers. And they say it is responsible for a lot of our drought conditions, because it is a very thirsty plant that sends out runners. If you've ever dug one up, you know what I mean.:soapbox: It'll make a preacher cuss!

Sorry for resurrecting an old post. If I remember correctly back in the 60's the King Ranch cleared mesquite with a BIG anchor chain strung between two D8 Cats. I don't remember the details but they crawled along and left a BIG burn pile every half mile or so. One way to do it I guess.

We don't have much mesquite down here. ^$#@$%#@%#$ China tallow is taking over everything. I think it might squeeze out mesquite if given a chance. Sorta like barns and rats, though. :shitHitsFan:

Ted
MySmilyMug.gif

Bindian

Sorry for resurrecting an old post. If I remember correctly back in the 60's the King Ranch cleared mesquite with a BIG anchor chain strung between two D8 Cats.

Ted
MySmilyMug.gif
Ted,:wave:
Maybe it was two big D8 Cats dragging an anchor. I always thought the only way to get rid of it was to plow out the roots..........everyone of them.
hugs, Brandi

mobilus

Ted, that method is still done today, though probably less now. A friend of mine told me that sometimes they'd add big chunks of steel every 20 foot or so to keep the chain up at the right level. They'd let the chain loop up back behind the dozers and break everything down. The object was to bring the tree down so that grass would grow...clearing the land of the downed trees wasn't as important because cattle will graze around/through it.

Brandi, most folks still use the D-6 and larger dozers to "root plow" or "grub out" mesquite. You are right, if there is any root left, it'll sprout out again pretty quickly. Remedy is the preferred treatment with the folks I know. It is labor-intensive, as you have to paint any stumps left in the ground with it. Supposedly, if you keep it mowed for several years, it'll eventually die.

The Deep South has Kudzu, Texas has Mesquite, so I guess there's some kind of hard-to-kill vegetation in every region. Ted, i have never heard of China Tallow...and i guess that's a good thing.

Y'all have a great day!

quincy

Yep, I use tyre goop in my lawn mower. I have 300ft of hawthorn hedging, it has 2inch thorns just like the mesquite. its been 2 years now since I slimed the tyres, no punctures since. Before I put the goop in, I had to give myself extra time before mowing to either pump the tyres or fix a flat...

Bindian

Ted, that method is still done today, though probably less now. A friend of mine told me that sometimes they'd add big chunks of steel every 20 foot or so to keep the chain up at the right level. They'd let the chain loop up back behind the dozers and break everything down. The object was to bring the tree down so that grass would grow...clearing the land of the downed trees wasn't as important because cattle will graze around/through it.

Brandi, most folks still use the D-6 and larger dozers to "root plow" or "grub out" mesquite. You are right, if there is any root left, it'll sprout out again pretty quickly. Remedy is the preferred treatment with the folks I know. It is labor-intensive, as you have to paint any stumps left in the ground with it. Supposedly, if you keep it mowed for several years, it'll eventually die.

The Deep South has Kudzu, Texas has Mesquite, so I guess there's some kind of hard-to-kill vegetation in every region. Ted, i have never heard of China Tallow...and i guess that's a good thing.

Y'all have a great day!
We called them Chinese Tallow or China Berry trees.
They grow fast and have hard berries you can throw at each other.
hugs, Brandi