Second Battery for 1140 & Winch

TexSavage

Hello, I am new to the forum and have been searching for an answer. My dealer says to install a second battery on my 1140 for operating a winch. Says the battery that came with it will not handle the load. Now I was given, er, had to use a winch given to me which is a Warn 3000. My opinion was too small, but when someone buys and you have no say you do with the best you can. Anyway we have set it up as a portable on a receiver hitch set up, got cables with quick connects front and rear, mounted connector for remote in the knock out by the side of the driver in the panel where the hydraulics are.

Terrain is far west Texas Pecos region, where its rock, more rock and then you have some additional rock. No mud, little rain, 400' deep canyons and lots of little nasty forms of cacti. Yep, deer lease!! So help would be appreciated greatly. Look forward to all of the experienced feed back!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just one comment: An automotive or dual-purpose battery (starting/lighting) won't stand up to offroad vibration. BTDT, it failed after a year. Get a tractor or heavy-truck rated battery. Better yet, a gel cell type.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If getting a regular battery and you have room I'd go for a deep cycle marine battery. They are a little taller but would work well for your application. I know nothing about the gel batteries that CA mentioned, so I can't compare to that.

Overall as long as the battery has a fresh charge prior to heading out I suspect it would last you for a good week of hunting with using the winch once or twice over that time.

But ....with no mud and no rain I can't imagine what you'd get stuck on or if you did manage to get stuck what you'd hook your winch to. :hide: :yum:

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk!!! :tiphat:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Doc, I was thinking of an Optima battery - just couldn't remember the name. The Jeepers consider them the best solution for extreme bouncing around. (And its harmless to turn it upside down). Where cost isn't a limiting factor, I think that's the best you can buy for offroad equipment. And since its sealed, this type can be removed/moved around among other occasional use equipment, easier than a conventional battery.

I tried an AutoZone deep cycle Dual Purpose battery on my tractor. It had much larger starting amperage than what I took out ... for a while. I learned these are not recommended for offroad because vibration shakes the coating off the plates. A vibration-resistant truck battery is a different design, different chemistry, that is less easily damaged.

Funny story for TexSavage - my uncle was a US Geological Survey map-maker. Years of solitary field research in the empty deserts and dry mountains of Northern Nevada. He once got stuck crossing a dry wash at an angle, so he attached his winch cable to the only thing nearby. He said he pulled an entire abandoned miner's cabin down into the ravine attempting to winch the little Willys Wagon out. Took him a whole day before he made it back to camp.

Last edited:

TexSavage

That is a great story. Would have loved to see the miners face had he ever returned. I get the dry wash incident. That is how ill get stuck or it will be an attempt up a certain road no one has made it up yet. Heck the 1140 just stopped dead in 2 low half way up.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
My uncle said that long-abandoned cabin had already fallen in when he first saw it. No big deal except he made a mess that complicated his path.

Crossing a ravine on a diagonal will get you every time. When two diagonally-opposite tires don't reach the ground (and no difflock) you aren't going to move until you build some road under the tires.

This driveway down into our gold mining claim in the Sierras doesn't look too bad. More recently - subsequent to these photos - the road has deteriorated. Now its like climbing over garbage cans to get out of there. I had to cut down the tiny bushes on the left and drive along the edge to get out the last time I was there. After that I bought a mini-winch, but I haven't used it.

This is 20 miles on abandoned logging spurs beyond the end of the pavement, 30 miles from phone reception if you had to walk out, so you just work at it until you solve the problem. Not a problem, an adventure!

When I was younger I would try anything. (1974 photo) I've always made it out of the woods and back the hundred+ miles to the city on Sunday night. :D

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's what I use the little mini-winch for now - lifting my tilt trailer. It's bolted to a portable mast with a pulley at the top. Under this light load a start-assist battery is sufficient.

P1620619rWinch&TrailerTilted.JPG

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I too would suggest a deep-cycle marine battery. I'd think it could easily be a replacement to the OEM battery instead of an addition to it.

You said "Heck the 1140 just stopped dead in 2 low half way up."

You were climbing and the RTV just pooped out (ran out of power to climb)? When this is about to happen, are you aware that you back off the gas pedal to about 1/2 way? There's an aux pump that will kick in and give you a lot more power (at the price of speed). If you regularly drive in these conditions, you may want to consider adding a hand throttle so you can keep the engine RPM's up regardless of where your foot is on the pedal.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
bczoom is correct about the "backing off the pedal"

Replacement Battery:

Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle battery
It is a Type 34/78.
( They carry two types, one with only the top post, and the other with both side and top post )

That battery puts out 750 CCA

Qoute from a Texas Member
" Fits very nicely in the original battery tray allows the original hold down strap to be used and has the battery posts at the right end of the battery.
The woven lead coil in an Optima is a whole lot less fragile than standard lead plates, a good thing for those of us who spend time bouncing around the here in Texas. " ...... un quote .

............ two guns

Attachments

• SMILEY FACE.gif
    SMILEY FACE.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For me, I have the original battery on my 05 900 with the exact same winch that you are discussing. Mine is installed in the holes threaded and provided by the factory and Warn, down inside under the hood compartment and hard wired into the electrical system with the plug/extension receptacle mounted under the dash.

Here in N. Georgia the problem is red clay mud filling up the tread of the tire and having to pull yourself out of the mire until you can get onto a surface hard enough that it doesnt matter about the tread being gunked up. Often times, it is a pull from tree to tree to tree for perhaps 100 yards or so. We have also used it to pull cut or fallen sections of trees into a position where we can work them better or get the tractor into them. Talking about 24" to 36" X 10' or so trees. We hook a chain onto the back of the RTV to something stout and then, using the RTV as a link in the chain, winch the tree into a position that we can get a chain saw into it. Also, makes one dandy come-along for stretching fence lines..........

Anyway, pardon for being long winded but; we have found that the regular battery, with the engine running to supply amperage works just fine. I would go along with what Two Guns, Jamie, says about when replacement time comes to use that type of battery, but for me, I dont see the need to lug around an extra battery. Golly, what are you talking about, perhaps a 300 lb dead load up a bluff/mesa?...........Or, pulling yourself up a slope or boulder garden with the RTV adding a bit of ommphf to help out?????

I do suggest that you go directly to the battery with the hot wire/winch and that it be large enough to easily carry the amperage load for really LONG pulls or dead weight. Your alternator, when the engine is running should provide PLENTY of amperage for LOTS of strength and just the battery for smaller loads......For ME, not an extra battery.........God bless........Dennis

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
I put a marine deep cycle battery on my gator one time .I ended up having to put a alternator off a toyota on it to charge the battery I also put a switch to seperate the two batteries .the reason for the alternator was the stock charging system isn't strong enough to handle charging two batteries an it fried the wires.so my two cents us before you just go ahead an add a battery I would make sure the rtv can handle charging both if not I woukd get a bigger alternator.you might find one that will fit off a wrecked small car.car alternators will put out atleast90 to100 plus amps unlike a utv alternator.check the amp output on the rtv alternator to see just how much its putting out.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
For me, I have the original battery on my 05 900 with the exact same winch that you are discussing. Mine is installed in the holes threaded and provided by the factory and Warn, down inside under the hood compartment and hard wired into the electrical system with the plug/extension receptacle mounted under the dash.

Here in N. Georgia the problem is red clay mud filling up the tread of the tire and having to pull yourself out of the mire until you can get onto a surface hard enough that it doesnt matter about the tread being gunked up. Often times, it is a pull from tree to tree to tree for perhaps 100 yards or so. We have also used it to pull cut or fallen sections of trees into a position where we can work them better or get the tractor into them. Talking about 24" to 36" X 10' or so trees. We hook a chain onto the back of the RTV to something stout and then, using the RTV as a link in the chain, winch the tree into a position that we can get a chain saw into it. Also, makes one dandy come-along for stretching fence lines..........

Anyway, pardon for being long winded but; we have found that the regular battery, with the engine running to supply amperage works just fine. I would go along with what Two Guns, Jamie, says about when replacement time comes to use that type of battery, but for me, I dont see the need to lug around an extra battery. Golly, what are you talking about, perhaps a 300 lb dead load up a bluff/mesa?...........Or, pulling yourself up a slope or boulder garden with the RTV adding a bit of ommphf to help out?????

I do suggest that you go directly to the battery with the hot wire/winch and that it be large enough to easily carry the amperage load for really LONG pulls or dead weight. Your alternator, when the engine is running should provide PLENTY of amperage for LOTS of strength and just the battery for smaller loads......For ME, not an extra battery.........God bless........Dennis

I agree with all that is said on this post from Dennis !!!!
I also, have the OEM battery in my machine. I also keep a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up when the RTV in not in use. I believe it helps keep all batteries in good working condition !!!!
But when the day comes where we have to replace. I am going with the Optima. We replace our equipment with all Optima where we can. They are some super batteries. Never have had a problem with them, never .

........ two guns

Attachments

• scat-pack super bee logo.jpg
    scat-pack super bee logo.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I put a marine deep cycle battery on my gator one time .I ended up having to put a alternator off a toyota on it to charge the battery I also put a switch to seperate the two batteries .the reason for the alternator was the stock charging system isn't strong enough to handle charging two batteries an it fried the wires.so my two cents us before you just go ahead an add a battery I would make sure the rtv can handle charging both if not I woukd get a bigger alternator.you might find one that will fit off a wrecked small car.car alternators will put out atleast90 to100 plus amps unlike a utv alternator.check the amp output on the rtv alternator to see just how much its putting out.

Hello Peanut,
Got worried about you. Figured you done got to close to a gator and you was having a man to man talk with him. Telling him about the big axe you got waiting for him if he don't get it straight !!!! :whip:
Good hearing from you Peanut !!!! Stay close and in touch !!!

Attachments

• Mr. Peanut.jpg
    Mr. Peanut.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 81

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yea I'm still here juss got a lot of things goin on.I check in on the site at lunch time.typing on my phone is killin me eyes.ill have to bring my laptop to work with me.that way I can read an type better.