First mow of the season

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The paper clip works for me so I'll use that.

There must be different generations of VB on the various sites where I occasionally post photos. If you are curious take a look at Welding Web. Its icon labelled 'insert image' is a different icon and function than here but the same name.

Thanks Doc for unraveling this mystery!
Yes, different. They are running the complete rewrite of VB that was done a few years ago. There were so many complaints and problems that most never did go with that version. They are running vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 We are still on version 3.8 and will most likely stay here for the foreseeable future.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I broke down and mowed the other day. Most of the yard didn't need it but some spots were getting high. The weather was too nice to pass on the opportunity as it's been dry. A lot of the mowing was to grind up all the leaves that blew in over the winter. Looks much better now.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow 2019

I just finished my first mow of the season. Much like yours Brian, much of the yard did not need it but much of it did. I thought of putting it off till tomorrow but it was so nice today and I had the time. Afraid now I'll be on a 5 day rotation of mowing for the next 6 weeks or so.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow 2020

First mow of season DONE. Much earlier than last year. Mowing season has begun for me. How about you?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I was rolling the yard.
I expect what & when I posted last year quoted below will be the same. It's just too wet right now.

I broke down and mowed the other day. Most of the yard didn't need it but some spots were getting high. The weather was too nice to pass on the opportunity as it's been dry. A lot of the mowing was to grind up all the leaves that blew in over the winter. Looks much better now.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was thinking about this thread yesterday as I was rolling the yard.
I expect what & when I posted last year quoted below will be the same. It's just too wet right now.
Wet here too. Supposed to rain Saturday and Sunday but both were sunny and windy. Dried up a lot of the yard. still left tracks in some areas and had to skip one lower area. Typical for this time of year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did a couple knock-down mows. Not detailed but had to cut the stuff where it was getting pretty tall. It'll probably be awhile before I can mow again. Temps in the 20's at night normally means it'll be too wet.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here too. Snow in the forecast tonight but we will just get down to 32. Wet here also. I've mowed twice and was due to mow again today but it's below 50 and wet so no mow. Spring will get here eventually .... I have faith.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh man you guys are killing me. We've been hunkered down in town 100 miles from the ranch (apple orchard) for a month now. Shelter-in-place is taken seriously here. It's working, California's deaths are something like a tenth of comparable-population NY. But its sure boring.

The ranch may be a jungle by now.

We're comfortable at our family home in town with groceries delivered etc and there's nothing critical at the ranch this time of year, so we can't justify shuttling back and forth like we usually do. I hope the lockdown order is lifted soon. I may need to mow a path to the door of the ranch's house just to get in.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No one to deliver groceries here but I'm happy to be out where I can get out and work when weather permits. But weather is not permitting this week. So yeah, boring.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, the lawn needs mowed but:
A) It's too wet
B) The ZTR won't start. Safety switch. Will work on it today.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First Mow 2022

My grass sure needs mowed also. Normally I have done the first mow by now. (Wrong. I just went through this thread to see if this was the latest mow ever. Nope. April 10th to 12th is more the norm.

First Mow of 2021 was missed. Oops. We were on vacation till april 3rd, I think I mowed around April 8th.

Due to rain in the forecase for the next 4 days, this will be the latest start ever since we started posting in this this thread 14 years ago .... in 2008.

I have not tried my ZTR yet but I suppose I should venture out and at least try it just in case it won't start.

Last edited:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It wasn't a safety switch like I thought (based on past experience with this machine). It's the starter. Beat on it and the mower started right up. New starter on order.

Reactions: Doc

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Fired up the Husqvarna 42DXLS Sunday. Not to mow but blow the winter leaves into the woods after I picked up all the limb detritus.

Pulled the choke, turned the key and away we went. Best starting, running gas engine I've owned is that 22 HP Kohler.

ETF

I've mowed a couple of times this year already. Well, not quite mowed but I did hit the high spots and mulch the leaves. I did put out a 1000# of fertilizer a couple of weeks ago and sprayed for bugs and grubs, Also sprayed some pre-emergent. I sprayed the fence line all round the place with Round-up. I sprayed herbicide on a small part of the yard that was starting to be overgrown with weeds. The part of the yard that was torn up by hogs last year has grown back covered with junk grass and weeds. I haven't started on that yet because of high winds and rain but I'll get round to it in the next week or so ...I hope. It looks horrible.

I've got most of the tree trimming done but still got some to do. If the wind and rain ever stops I'll get it over and done with in the next week.

On the whole, I've been reasonably busy this winter and spring, much more so than usual. For once I might be slightly ahead of the game.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Put a new starter on the RTV Thursday.
Mowed yesterday.
A spring popped up in the yard a couple months ago creating quite a wet area. Dug the lawn up at the spring's origin. Ran some 4" pipe from the origin down towards the creek. It's flowing at the equivalent of about 4-6 garden hoses so it's quite the flow.

• Wow

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I mowed late Thursday April 14th. Things had dried up all except for one area that was still soggy.
So now the weekly chore of mowing begins for the 2022 season. Woo Hoo. :D

That's a lot of water BC. Hope the 4" flex pipe takes care of it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump.
80 degrees yesterday and the lawn was relatively dry so I did my first mow of the season.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was busy busy busy yesterday but when I saw the extended forcast I hopped on the mower at 645. I mowed until it started sprinkleing High winds were something else. Blew off my hat and headphones, and even blew off sunglasses. Thought it might blow me off the mower but I hung on.
I got about 1/4 of the yard done.
Wet here today so hoping to finish mowing Saturday. Tomorrow temps are in the 40's. The grass can wait. lol