If You Had To Replace a Kubota Battery

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I have to replace a battery in our Kubota tractor. It is 14 years old.
It does start the tractor but is turning over slower and it won't take a full charge. That is the longest I have ever had a battery last and it was the original.

Kubota dealer says all their batteries are made by Interstate now. They just slap a Kubota label on it.

Given this, is there any other reason why you would buy the battery from the dealer if it is the same one you can pick up at any garage?

Even with my little discount, it still runs a hundred bones. Its a group 26R.

Appreciate any advice.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
in my experience the Kubota factory battery is an excellent battery. problem is they don't come to the USA except in new equipment. i have had beyond excellent experience with the exide edge blue top agm battery. it will cost more but will outlast many batteries and won't loose it's charge over the winter.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Both my Kubota tractor and RTV original batteries lasted 10+ years. Longer than any other batteries I've ever owned. So, I didn't dig in enough to find out what the dealer sells you is not the same as what came in the products to start with. Those batteries lasted so long I bought from Kubota and paid through the nose.

Lee1935

buy the cheapest battery you can find. if not going to use it for several months use a good trickle charger. In the winter time store in a warm place and use the trickle charger. In the winter you will find 7 to 12 batteries in my basement. My oldest battery is from Cosco (12 years)
Don't use cheap trickle chargers!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i am not being argumentative so please take this in context. i purchased the exide AGM batteries and put them on my generator maybe six years ago. they sit in the barn unattended for months and in a couple of cases a year or a little more. to my surprise the diesel generator starts right up. i have had similar experience with the red top AGM optima battery. i am not plugging for exide because when i bought them it was at my local dealer and were readily available. just my experience,you decide what works best for you.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
...Kubota dealer says all their batteries are made by Interstate now. They just slap a Kubota label on it. .....

That smacks of more anecdotal misinformation by a dealer employee, in my opinion. I’ve many times experienced such off-the-cuff claims made by dealer employees who are in no position to have factual knowledge..only personal opinion.
The batteries shipped installed by Kubota are sourced from outside the U.S. and Interstate is not likely the supplier.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i think most of the major company like John Deere and Caterpillar have battery made to their own spec. most usually more lead plates thicker and bonded better. i know Cat does and i am pretty sure Deere does too. they cost a little more but last much longer in severe duty. now the AGM battery is a different animal all together.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
I think batteries are like opinions, everyone has one-or more. Depending mostly on personal experience.
I replaced a J-D fel battery that lasted 5 years with an Interstate, that was 10 years ago and it is still strong. Had a Ford F-250 with a Ford battery that lasted 14 years. I used to buy Sears top of the line batteries... no problems with them just probably paid too much to get their pro rated warranties. I am looking to replace a TSC log splitter battery and will probably go with an Interstate. I'm not in any way shape or form endorsing any particular brand. Just going with convenience, experience, value and integrity of local dealer.

banjo

My kubota's came with Deka batteries on them. Got over 10 years out of both tractor and rtv. I had to order from Lowes to get one, but thats what I did. The jury is still out on wheither I get the same use out of those as the origional, but so far so good. They cost a little more than what you can get at the big ag. stores, but I thought it was worth a shot. Banjo

man00

I found that my local dealer was cheaper than anyone else around for my B2320 tractor. I was so lucky that week, tractor, badboy, and both my kubota lawn tractor and JD lawn tractor batteries all went out. I keep tenders on them to try and get another year or two.