Thinking of buying YM186D with issues!?

xyzer

I have been looking over an YM186D with Yanmar loader. I looked it over today and found the front differential had no gear oil and both the front wheel spindles are loose. The rest of the tractor has seen normal abuse but the front spindles scare me. They are easy to get to and work on (I think) but how is the differential?....there was condensation rust on the dip stick. The seals are also leaking in the steering joints. The plastic dash and headlight frame were broken the sheet metal was pretty good. All of the hoses had the rubber rotting off of the woven lines. The tach is dead and shows 521 hrs. It needs some TLC and a major front end going over. I haven't seen a schematic of it and am sure it would need bearings and seals and while one was at it split the differential and give it a look see. He is asking $4,900 .....Opinions?
Thanks
Dave

xyzer

Erik,
I agree the asking price is to high. I was looking into the approx. repair cost and time involved and maybe offer much less. It may not be worth it for sure. If the differential is shot ....end of idea!

Thanks
Dave

Erik

if he comes down far enough in price might be worth buying for a ready parts supply if you have another in working condition.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
$4900 is double what its worth in that condition. Get a repair estimate from Ernie in Molalla as a base for negotiating. I've read that these are the same as YM1510D except a different front axle, so Yanmar-USA may be the only source for front axle parts.

Or budget around $4,000 for one that won't need anything.

This summer I bought a YM186D with really beat up sheet metal, flawless engine (dyno test exceeds new spec), and the rest of it beat up but functional. (No loader, which would be worth another $1000 ~ $1500). I paid $2,500 including new rear tires, seat, battery, even a new 3-point arms/stabilizers/upper link kit. It had all fresh filters installed plus he included more of each filter, and the Shop and Operation manuals.

Then I spent a few hundred $ for a former Yanmar importer to go through it and fix what was still needed, mostly front axle seals plus a stuck brake etc. I was laid up with back pain or I would have done the repairs myself for maybe $150 in parts. Finally I'm back on my feet, and enjoying using it.

attachment.php

Here's a Craigslist canned search to search for a YM186D (or YM1510D) nationwide. I suggest keep looking!

Mark777

I have been looking over an YM186D with Yanmar loader............... He is asking $4,900 .....Opinions?
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

You can do so much better with $5K and buying a well supported grey market tractor. And one with a warranty, parts support and assurances from a dealer that will be there for you when (IF) you need parts down the road.

Mark