RTV Heater

DigOrange

I'm taking my RTV in to get the Kubota heater installed next week. It sounds like the heater vents are installed in place of the cup holders. My dealership said a lot of guys have them only install the passenger vent and then block off the driver vent so the driver has a cup holder. It appears to me that the heater vents are up high so they also work as a defroster and that I would be better off to install both vents and come up with a different solution for cup holders. </P>

Does anyone have an opinion either way on this? </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a heater (but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night [:p])

I'm assuming the ductwork is flexible hose to get it to the cup holders.

Why not have the passenger one point towards the windshield (or however the OEM setup is) but route the one for the drivers side under the dash and have it point towards your feet?

DigOrange

Holiday Inn Express has sure made us all smarter [;)]</P>

When I drop it off for the heater I'm going to take a look at the heater configuration. I'm guessing the inner rubber part of the cup holder is removed and the ductwork snaps in. If that's the case I will have them route the heat to the floor as you suggest and keep the extra parts in case windshield defrosting becomes a problem.Then I can add it back in and find a different way to hold that ice cold frosty...... drink of my choice.</P>

Thanks for the help bczoom</P>

L16

I installed my heater when I bought mine last spring. It's the standard heater made by Curtis that was being sold at that time. If you're handy with tools, it's easy to install yourself. It comes with pretty good destructions that show how it's done. What followsapplies only if they still offer the same heater. </P>

Give up on the idea of keeping the cup holder unless they mount it so low that it'll be in the way of your left foot. That's reason one. Two: There is not enough room it "reduct" the flow out of the top of the heater. It's too close to the bottom of the cup holder. In fact, it would be flush with it. Your "frosty" would be luke warm by the second sip. Three: You'll need all the openings coming out of that little dude that you can get. I looked at the feasability of putting holes, "outlets", on the side facing the passenger. It's possible, but there's very little room there. Four: Once you feel that heat blowing out of where your Coke used to be onto your freezing hand, you'll forget that it was ever there. Five: It has a swivel outlet that you can turn toward the windshield to get your breath off of it. </P>

We live in the extreme northwest corner of NC. I used mine yesterday for the first time to move snow off our gravel driveway. It's about 1900 feet down a very steep hill. We had only about 2 to 3 inches but once you drive on it without getting as much off first, it gets packed and turns to ice. And stays for days if it dosen't get above freezing. Even if it does, where it's shady, it stays for way too long. You see why I want to get it off as soon as it falls no matter how little comes down. </P>

The RTV did me proud. I have the Curtis snow blade sold by the Kubota dealers. I also have the soft cab. When I used to do this with my Kubota 3410 tractor, I had to push snow down the hill, and come back up and push the other side, going down hill. Yesterday, after pushing going down hill, in two wheel drive (I forgot), I switched to 4WDand pushed the snow off coming UP hill. Granted, not much snow was on the ground, but the RTV acted like it was nothing. I was finished in less than 30 minutes. That was actually dissappointing. I put a considerable amount of money into this and I want a little more time in there. It's fun. If you're going to use your RTV in the cold, you'll never regret getting that heater. I had my coat and gloves off after just a minute. Hope this helps. Rog</P>

DigOrange

Rog,</P>

Thanks for the great info!</P>

It sounds like we have pretty much the same configuration. Soft doors, heater, and curtis snow blade. I'm really glad the rig works well in the snow as I'm real tired of freezing my *&^ off on my 3710. </P>

Er</P>

G

I have the stock installation. The cupholder on the driver side
is converted into a vent that blows on the windshield. I can be
angled the other direction if needed. When I transport a glass of
ice tea or other drink, I just use the other cupholder. Really it
is no big deal. If I have a drinking passenger, they have to
really tough things out and carry their own beer.

Sometimes when my hand is real cold it is nice to let the warm air blow on it.

All in all it works well. Much better than no heater.

Bob