First snow with new RTV and snow plow

DigOrange

I LOVE IT!!!</P>

Used the new RTV (with soft cab and heater) and Curtis plow this weekend. About 5 inches of really wet snow. It worked great!. I had to take my coat off after 30 minutes and reduced my snow plowing time by about 30%. The tractor was upset but then we used it to finish the snowman so it felt better..</P>

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7310/img36804vb.jpg</P>

BTW - the heater only sacrifices the drver side cub holder so I still had the passenger cup holder to keep the coffee handy.</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great pic!!!

There's something about getting it done faster that just doesn't seem right. I like playing with the machines in the snow.

Glad to hear you got the tractor out. My tractor is pretty upset as well since the RTV took over primary duties for a lot of things. If I put a plow on the RTV, the tractor would have even less to do.

G

So unfair! I'd love to get a good snowfall. We're at about a 1/2in so far this entire season.

NVBadBoy

I ordered the snow blade, the heavy duty struts, the hydraulic angle kit, and a windshield a week after New Years. All part had come in except for the windshield. I installed the blade, hoses, and the struts and played with the new attachments. One thing that I noticed is that if I wanted to leave some snow on the ground (we have nice sledding run on the road from the house to the county road) I'd have to add at least another 1" of washers on each between the skids and blade. Has anyone else noticed that the skids do not touch the ground when the blade is completely lowered? As it currently is, my skids are literally jumping up and down when my blade is down all the way. Do the heavy struts add that much height to the front of the RTV?

Overall though, I'm impressed with the way it handles. Sure is a lot faster than using the Bobcat to move snow out of the road.

Fortunately, the temps have been in the upper 30s for the last 2 days. My weather station here at the house measured the average temperature for January as 19 degrees. You view my homepage at Nevada Weather.

We've had single digit readings during the day and sub zero at night since the beginning of January. I can't wait for Spring to get here so I can shed my Carhartts and put on some Levis.

NVBB

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No plow for me as I need snow removal as part of the justification to keep the tractor. That and a little loader work is all it seems to have left.

For your sledding run, can you go backwards and let the back of the blade do the grooming?

Weather here in the Pittsburgh area was pretty much rain for the first couple weeks of January. We've gotten some snow (about 4-5") in the past week but the ground isn't frozen so it keeps melting it from the bottom. That bad accident (50 car pile-up) yesterday in Erie is just to the north of me. We got a lot of white-outs yesterday as well.

DigOrange

I need to try the reverse sled run thing - hope we get more snow. I noticed my skids don't come close to touching the ground with all the washers under them. For the next snow I'm going to add some and see how it works. I have about half gravel and half asphalt. If did fine on the asphalt but in places on the gravel I did move some out of the way. I may also design a bigger skid for the gravel so it has more surface area and doesn't dig in.

BovsRTV

I noticed the same thing as DigOrange noticed. I too was thinking of making up a bigger cup for the skid as to keep it from digging in to the gravel. Sure does a nice job on our 400' driveway! It clears it right down to the gravel!