Prebuy info gathering

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have ITP mud lites. I have 806 hours on the Hoss, most of which have been with these tires. I would be sure to get tires with a heavy load rating if you are going to be carrying a lot of weight. I have ran over thorn trees {wild lemon} and have yet to have a flat . The only problem I see is not having an excuse for not getting out in the weather. Haha. I have just finished spraying about 280 acres with a 60 g boomless pull behind. I fell in some DEEP old dry tractor ruts[cross ways]and just put Hoss in low .. crawled right out! That was with the tank half full of water!!Good Luck, Bordercollie[:D][&]

L16

Well, the ad came out in the paper today and the first guy to come look at the tractor, bought it. Now it's RTV shopping time. Whooopeeeeee!Thanks to all of you for your advice and information.I feel much moreprepared to make an informed decision.A few of the things I've learned:</P>

1. Forget the glove boxes, both of them. </P>

2. Forget the overhead panel, not worth the price for something I'm not going to use that much. </P>

3. Get tires made of rubber or some material that looks like it. </P>

4. If doing a cab, do the soft cab. Just as usefull without so much weight. </P>

5. Get the heater, it'll be worth it. </P>

6. Hide the keys and don't tell the wife where. </P>

Thanks again. Rog</P>

L16

Took the wife (Jan) down to the local Kubota dealer this morning for her first look at an RTV. She had not seen one in person, only on the computer. After climbing all over the one on the sales floor and looking at the ones in the yard, her only comment on the way home was "When are you going to get YOU one". I think I'm in trouble. </P>

I had planned on getting the hydraulic package for the snow blade, but after looking at one on the yard, it appears the hyd pack only serves to change the angle of the blade and the regular snow blade package comes with an electric actuator to raise and lower it. If that's true, I'll forget about the hyd package and put that money towards getting a soft cab. I thought I would need the blade hyd package to raise and lower it. I don't mind having to get out to change the angle, how often would I have to do that anyway? Not often enough to spend $500 for it. </P>

And can someone tell me how the heater creates heat? Is it electrical or does it use engine cooling water? Thanks. Rog</P>

L16

Nevermind, I found out the information on the heater, it's water heat from the radiator. And the hydraulics are just for the swivel function of the snow blade, the basic blade comes with electric lift capabilities. So, I put in my order today:</P>

Worksite model with 1. Soft cab 2. Snow blade 3. Bed liner 4. Heavy duty struts required for the cab 5. Heater6. ATV tires</P>

I also requested and they agreed: All the extra stuff ( 1 thru 5 ) will be delivered to me in unopened boxes and I'll do the installation myself, after the normal pre-delivery service on the basic RTV. This saved me several hundred dollars. </P>

Thanks to this list, I learned enough to get what I wanted and didn't buy anything that would turn out to be a waste of money. Thank you all. </P>

Chandler

Glove Box

"Need help from anyone who has installed the RTV glove box."</P>

I ordered the glove box parts and got them in today. But unfortunately, I couldn't get the instructions to go with it. I got the box installed, but the foam seal is the problem. Can someonetell me where/how it goes on? I assumed it goes between the door and the box, but it doesn't have a curved shape to fit it, just a long foam strip with two notches cut out in it.</P>

As talked about in an earlier post, it sure isn't worth the $120.00 when ordered as an accessory. It isn't worth the $51.00 that I paid for it either. But it's better than nothing. For the rest of the machine to be built so well, they sure skimped on the glove box.[*-)]</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Glove Box

OK, I took a look at mine. Not sure if this is what they had in mind, but look around the inside perimeter of the door itself. There's a channel area all the way around. I put mine there and followed the contour around the curves and such. Mine wasn't quite long enough to go all the way around so my gap is on the bottom, near one of the hinges. Maybe I was supposed to stretch it some as I went...

Also, you may find that that there's inadequate support for the back of the box (the deepest point). If/as I recall correctly, I drilled 2 holes in the top of the box and ran a zip tie through those holes and up to a vertical steel support that's accessible from under the hood. That keeps the box from sagging .

The lock doesn't really do anything... I keep it in the locked position and then with a very slight lift on the knob, you can open the door.

Chandler

Thanks bczoom, I knew I could count on you! I had started putting it in the other day and had to quit to go to work. I didn't just want to stick the foam strip anywhere. I will look under the hood to see what you are talking about (the support).</P>

Also I was thinking about getting a key made just to leave in the glove box. I guess you could put some glue or locktite on it before putting it in to keep anyone from taking it out. What do you think about that?</P>

Chandler

On another subject, I would like to have the storage box that goes under the hood. Do you recommend buying the plastic one or maybe making one? I think the plastic one is around $100.00 or so.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

[quote user="Chandler"]Also I was thinking about getting a key made just to leave in the glove box. I guess you could put some glue or locktite on it before putting it in to keep anyone from taking it out. What do you think about that?[/quote]
Once you get the box together, try just lifting the knob/lock assembly a little and opening the door. That works for many of us and we don't need a key.
The key will also work in the ignition so if security is an issue, glue it in tight...

For under-the-hood storage, very few people (that I know of) have put something in there. Not sure but I thought the OEM box was over $150. Is getting a toolbox that goes in the bed an option for you?

Chandler

Well I thought about getting a tool box, but when I need to haul something it would be in the way. Also when I would go to dump, everything in the toolbox would fall around and get in a mess. I'll have to look at all the options and make a decision. I might consider getting one of those boxes that mount on the front bumper.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

What kind of stuff do you want to haul?

I've been pondering getting something like this http://www.aztrucks.com/Product.asp?product=422
(pay no attention to the site itself, it's just the first page for the toolbox in google).

I was going to mount to the grill guard using U-bolts.

I also put a hood rack on mine. Handy for things like chainsaws and such.

I built my own cargo box. I process a lot of firewood and when I got my RTV (I bought one of the first ones), nobody was sure how well the cargo box could withstand impacts and stresses from throwing 100# logs in it so I made a new box. When doing so, I built storage compartments along the sides that go front to back. They're 3.5" wide by the entire length. I can fit lots of stuff in there.

Something else I'm toying with as it relates to storage and carrying things. Are you familiar with Uni-Strut? I'm thinking of running some down both sides of the cargo box and maybe across the front grill guard. I can then easily hang things off the uni-strut.

Chandler

Just a box to keep a few tools in, tow strap, gloves, etc.</P>

No, I'm not familiar with the Uni-Strut.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Check out unistrut.com

Once you mount a couple channels, it's easy to fabricate all kinds of stuff to hang off of them. Whatever you mount to them will be relatively quick to install & remove based on the projects of the day.

rzoommer

Just a couple of notes from my side ---- I use a small rubber made storage tote for my under hood box ($3.00) and it fits fine and does not get in te way of anything</P>

For a tool box I used a tool box that goes under the side of a dually pickup bed. I put 4 bolts one in each corner to hold it up off the floor about an inch so I could wash under the box and I bolted it to the front of the bed so when I raised the bed it would not slide out. The one I used is flush with the top of the bed. just my two cents worth --- rzoommer</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Chandler

Thanks rzoomer! Those are some good ideas. </P>

On the glove box, I still haven't got the seal to fit like I think it should. I tried to order the installation instructions but couldn't get them. If anyone has the instructions and if it shows how it goes I would appreciate it if you could maybe post them on a link on here. I have the parts diaghram but it doesn't show much. If I can't get it to fit right I'm not going to put it on. Thanks in advance!</P>

Chandler

[quote user="bczoom"]Check out unistrut.com

Once you mount a couple channels, it's easy to fabricate all kinds of stuff to hang off of them. Whatever you mount to them will be relatively quick to install & remove based on the projects of the day.
[/quote]</P>

I checked out unistrut. Which clamp were you looking at that will fit on the 2" ROPS?</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

[quote user="Chandler"]I checked out unistrut. Which clamp were you looking at that will fit on the 2" ROPS? [/quote]
I honestly didn't look for clamps on the unistrut page. In general, I was going to use the unistrut channel and some of their accessories for mounting things to the channel.

OK, for mounting things to the ROPS, here's the best solution I've found so far.

Do a google search (or check e-bay) for "O-Clamp". They're made for truss lighting systems (for DJ's). There's 2" ones. They fit perfectly on the ROPS. They're also quick attach. I believe the standard ones you find are made to hold 35 pounds each (which for me is more than adequate). I saw others that will hold 1000#. I use these for mounting everything to the ROPS (and have 13 of them on the ROPS now).

There's the section that wraps around the pipe/ROPS and has a twist type clamp for securing. Then, there's a 3/8" (I think it's 3/8") bolt that sticks out to mount things.

G

I just put one in the other day. Figured I still needed somewhere to store small accessories, since the over-$100 glovebox is totally worthless. The under-the-hood box went in okay (although the directions are simply an exploded drawing that looks like it went through 20 fax machines).</P>

I have not had a chance to use it, but now that it is in, I don't think it will be the fix I was hoping for, either. There is no lid to it, so anything that you put in there needs to be tied down, or I am inmagining that it will crash around all over the place, and if nothing else, make a horrible racket and punish the hood from the inside. </P>

That's not much help...it seems odd that this is such a terrific machine and Kubota can't do something better with such a small issue.</P>

Driller in MN</P>