Engine oil type and viscosity recommended!

BovsRTV

HI TO ALL!!!</P>

I did a search of this forum and still can't find answers to my question so I am posting this in hopes of resolving them. We have about 35 hours so far on the RTV and in the process of getting things needed together to do the servicing. We also have a Cub Cadet Compact tractor, the 5234D with a loader so I'm sure we will be killing two birds with one stone with this question!</P>

We live in the Northeast, just West of Albany, NY and want to know what kind of oil (brand) and viscosity for this type of climate. I use Shell Rotella 15-40W in my F-250 diesel but feel this is too thick for the smaller 21 HP engines. Kubota's D902 and the Dahatsu 21hp in the Cub. Hopefully you all can help me through this inquiry. I do plan on asking the dealer but I like to go in with at least some knowledge as to what to look for. I think too for the time that my rig is still under warranty I will use the Kubota brand recommended for it but still want to be able to have choice and see if there's might be something better at the same time.</P>

Thanks again for this site and all your useful tips and recomends! I visit a lot!</P>

Brad</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Brad,

I use the Kubota oil and believe it's SAE30. I think the 15-40 is a bit heavy for winter use in your climate.

Also, I don't know/recall what year you have but for a period, the oil capacity listed in the manual was incorrect.
When replacing the filter as well, the capacity is 3.1 - 3.3 quarts. Without filter change, it's 2.9 quarts.

G

When you change the tranny oil, stick to the Kubota fluid. You'll find lots of posts here about ill effects of cheaper hydraulic oils. </P>

</P>

BovsRTV

<FONT size=4>I definitely plan to use the SUDT Kubota hydrolic fluid! It's just the oil I needed to know, I was thinking about the Rotella straight 30wt butnot sure if it would be the best for use in theRTV and the Cub. I just want to run the best in it! Thanks though for the concern! A good one at that! By the way, my RTV is the 2006 Worksite... and boy does it kick ass in moving the snow we've been getting!!! I love it!</FONT>

G

My 2006 RTV 900 went in for its 50 service back in Oct.2006.I was told by my dealer to use only Kubota oil because it might void my warrenty if I had any engine problems down the road.Next time around I will go with chevron delo 400 for my oil change.coobie</P>

ScenicHill

I switched to synthetic a couple of years ago and run Rotella inmy Kubotas, including the RTV; very satisfied with the performance--no sludge. I especially like synthetic in cold weather because of its 'pourability'.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="BovsRTV"]<font size="4">... and boy does it kick ass in moving the snow we've been getting!!! I love it!</font>[/quote]
Hey Bovs,

That looks like way too much fun!!!