2040 JD needs load shaft seals replaced

Big Tomm

Hello everyone, Big Tom here. A first timer. I have a 1980 JD tractor that is leaking hydraulic oil from the load shaft seal area. I have done research on parts and procedure but to tell the truth ,"I don't understand how to make these repairs. My first question is do you have to go internal to make this repair? All I see on the outside of my tractor is the load shaft cap held in place by a pin and a wire clip. A sleeve that the lift arm pivots on and a washer. No seal or o-ring. Are these parts located on the shaft inside of the tractor . Do you remove the shaft completely or do you work on one side then the other. Any advice or instructions are appreciated. Please do not thank I will be insulted if you use simplistic instructions.

jd110

Tom, welcome to the forum. The load shaft is actually pretty easy. First you want to lower the three point hitch and drain all the oil out of the transmission. Then remove the cap, pin, draft arm , and sleeve from the load shaft on both sides. Then you will need to slide the shaft out to the left or right until the shaft goes inside the transmission case an inch or two. This will expose the seal in the bore of the bushing in the transmission case. You should be able to pull the seal out using an o-ring pick or small screwdriver. Sometimes the bushing and the shaft get worn an will need replacing for a reliable repair. If that is the case, then the bushing needs to be driven or pulled from the case and a new one installed. The new seals are kind of stiff and are a little tricky to get installed in the groove in the bushing. If you fold the seal and work it into the groove its not really very difficult. Once you get the seal installed on one side, then slide the shaft back through and install seal on other side.

LETHAL GTS

Great post jd110.
It sounds to me like you have been working on JD's for some time.
That Mannheim built tractor was a pretty good tractor in it's day.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info jd110!!!! :thumb: :tiphat:

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk Big Tomm!!!!!!
Enjoy and post often!!!!!! :thumb: :D

jd110

Great post jd110.
It sounds to me like you have been working on JD's for some time.
That Mannheim built tractor was a pretty good tractor in it's day.

Well, I'll put it this way. I have been working on JD's twice as many years that I didn't work on them. :pat: Does that make any sense???

And yes I agree, those manheim tractors were tough to beat. A simple design that worked well.

danny

I'm also new here , i have a 1975 2630 that has the same problem ,is the repair the same as the 2040? thanks. danny c.

Attachments

• Prom 003.JPG
    Prom 003.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 55

Big Tomm

Good luck Danny

If I can do it you can do it. Just follow JD110 direction and you will have no problems. Just check the shaft to make sure it is not worn. The seal is very stiff like JD said. I just worked it in my fingers trying to take the stiffness out I also used a hair dryer to heat the seal slightly. My tractor does not leak a drop of tran oil now. Let us know how you made out

Big Tom

danny

will do, I always change my hyd oil and filter every fall , going to put in the seals while the system is draned. thanks