Prebuy info gathering

L16

I was in the local Kubota dealer today to pick up an oil filter for my L3410. While there I saw on the sales floor, the RTV900. I said, I wish you could put a snow plow on something like that. The salesmans eyes lit up and he said, "Of course you can". Since the only reason I have the tractor any more now that my house is finished and the landscaping is done, is to clear my drive of snow, I figure I would use the 900 a lot more than I use the tractor. I have 93 hours on the tractor and it's 3 1/2 years old. What I need to know is how affective is the 900 at moving snow. I live in the mountains of NC and my drive is gravel, 1800' long, with an elevation change of 200' from my house to the bottom of the hill. It's steep. I've read most all of the posts on this list and not much information is given on the subject of snow removal. At least I haven't found it. I have gleaned a bunch of helpful information on all kinds of subjects for the 900 and it's only strengthened my decision to buy the RTV900 above any other R/UTV. Let me know if my decision to request the ATV tires is wrong. I have 11 acres of woods with trails throughout. Again, it's all relatively steep. We'll use the RTV for firewood retrieval and gardening chores as well as snow removal. My idea is to get the soft cab, heater, hyd snow blade andbed lineron the worksite model. I'm open to suggestions there too. Is the front glove box that fits under the hood a good idea? In my search for more information on the RTV, I ran across this forum. Glad I did. Thanks in advance. Rog

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rog,

Welcome to the forum.
I've heard good things about the snow plow. I don't have any first-hand experience so I really can't elaborate.
As for other things mentioned:
Yes, the ATV tires would probably be the best OEM tire option for a mix of terrain/weather. The HDWS that come standard on the WS model don't like mud very much as the tread gets clogged up.
From what I've heard, the front box isn't worth the price being demanded. Ditto on the glove box in the cab.
I would propose you consider a winch and would recommend the Ramsey 3000 due to your wood processing. I use mine constantly to either guide trees down (next to the house or one of the buildings) as well as dragging logs to the trails. The Ramsey has a wireless remote so you can run the winch while at the tree/log instead of in the RTV.

Brian

L16

Thanks Brian. Nothing like experience to guide the ignorant. Okay, I'll forget the glove boxes, request the ATV tires and take a very close look at the Ramsey. I hadn't considered the winch, but I can see that it would come in handy. Now I've just got to sell the tractor and we'll own one of these. Even the wife is confident this is a good move. Thanks for your answers, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Rog

G

<FONT color=#0000ff>L16:</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>I purchased a BlackLine plow for my RTV last fall. The unit fits in the front receiver and works fairly well. It uses a electric linear actuator to raise and lower the blade and that takes a little longer than I would like but overall, not to bad. BlackeLine is supposed to have a kit that allows you to angle the blade, but so far it has not happened. In order to angle the blade, I have manually remove two pins, changethe angle and reinsert the pins. It easy to do, but you have jumpoutof and back into the RTV to do it. My drive is only about 150' long, but does have an 8 to 10% grade to it. The RTV handles that with no problem.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>As Brian suggested, I wouls also recommend the Ramsey winch. The way mine is set up, I have to remove on bolt from the fairlead and pivot that out of the way in order to slide the plow assembly all the way into the receiver. I stow a ratchet under the seat so the whole ordeal only takes a minute.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>I have a Kubota BX22 TBL in addition to the RTV and have tried to decide which would go first if I was ever forced to sell one or the other. While the BX22 is more practical, the RTV is a lot more fun.</FONT></P>

keybal

<FONT color=#0000ff>Not sure why the last post came up as "Anonymous", but I guess that I didn't sign in.</FONT>

ajdillon

I agree with everybody that the glove box is certainly not worth $130, but there was a thread on the other web site that pointed out that you could buy all the parts necessary to install the glove box (i.e. box, lid, weatherstripping, lock/latch and mounting screws) delivered via UPS for about $45. I bought one in pieces and put it together and installed it in about 15 minutes. It's still not much of a glove box, but for that price it's handy to have a place to store some things. The one thing I've added to mine that comes in handy is the straddle tool box that one of our bretheren down in Florida had custom made up for the RTV. It straddles the front of the cargo bed and provides a lot of secure storage. I keep the OEM battery on a trickle charger and then pop it into the tool box when I'm out in the boonies spotlighting varmints, for an emergency jump start. I also keep a tool box, tow strap and a bunch of other handy things in there under lock and key.</P>

Andrew</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome L16!! You will love the 900 . It took a while and a set of mud tires {I got the ws tires when I bought it}for me to learn how to Make the transmission mind. I have never looked back. Used to have a Mule... You might like to check into the worklights ...very handy to check out the cargo bed at night too.I wasted 75$ on the glovebox. I do keep my am/fm/weather radio hooked up in it. The boxis a poor design.Get your dealer to let you try the RTV out before you buy.1 load of wood up the hill and you will know.[&] Good luck.Bordercollie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ajdillon"]

I agree with everybody that the glove box is certainly not worth $130, but there was a thread on the other web site that pointed out that you could buy all the parts necessary to install the glove box (i.e. box, lid, weatherstripping, lock/latch and mounting screws) delivered via UPS for about $45.[/quote]</p>Andrew,

I believe we have the parts list on this site as well.
Neil - correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard that Kubota is now going to have the customer pay actual shipping on items.
If this is true, the glove box won't be $45 anymore... When we ordered the parts, it came in 4 or 5 different boxes from different locations. At $10 per box for UPS, it's probably close to $100 now.

Hey Bordercollie - Shhhh. We don't want to give him the full list of accessories yet (stereo/amp/speakers, front/rear/passenger compartment lights, spot/strobe lights, lift kit, aftermarket tires/rims, windshield/cab, rear hunting seats/platform...[;)]). Mrs L16 might see how it all adds up and change his mind.

</p>

</p>

L16

HEY, What aftermarket stuff? What rims? Momma don't read this, I ain't no fool.</P>

If there's one thing you've convinced me of, it's to forget the glove boxes, both of them. I was at the dealer again today and I took another gander under the "hood". I think I can fabricate one out of aluminum sheet that will work just fine. </P>

I have not seen any photos of the heater installed. Where does it go? Does it use radiator water for it's heat source or is it electric? We grow a few Christmas trees and we'll use the RTV as much in the winter as we will in the summer so I don't think the heater is an extravagant item. Especially for the little lady. At our age, it's not good to get too cold, takes a while to get the circulation going again. </P>

Thanks again to the members of this list. It doesn't take long for the value of your knowledge and experience to become apparent. Rog</P>

L16

I have an offer from a dealer that seems pretty good. The deal includes the overhead panel with the radio. Has anyone had experience with this setup? How's the radio? I like the idea of the switches for the lights that I'm going to add to the roof, front and rear. Thanks again. Rog

doggman

I didn't like the ATV tires because they were too aggressive in soft soil and damp ground. They turned damp dirt into mud with ruts after a few round trips. I traded mine back in and got the HDWS tires. They have been great and leave a better footprint for my use. I understand that some of the guys don't like them indeep mud. We didn't have any snow this year to speak of so I can't comment on that use for the new tires. </P>

Forget the under dash glovebox. However, I do use the underhood cargo tray quite a bit for gloves, flashlights, tools, etc. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="L16"]The deal includes the overhead panel with the radio. Has anyone had experience with this setup? How's the radio? I like the idea of the switches for the lights that I'm going to add to the roof, front and rear. Thanks again. Rog[/quote]
Sorry,

Can't help with the Kubota roof panel/stereo. I made my own.

andrewbph

I purchased the overhead console mainly for the switches and light. Theradio is a nice addition, but I would have rather had a spot to put gloves or something else instead of a CD/Radio. The speakers that come with it are small and don't sound that good, they are hard to hear when it's running unless you turn them up and then they are twangy. The location of the switches are nice, I have a driver side wiper, cab heater & plan to install additional lights.

ajdillon

If I recall correctly the instructions for the work lights state very clearly that you should not wire those light thru the console switches. Anybody confirm?</P>

Andrew</P>

</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
HI again! Yea those accessories are great!! Polished wheels, aggressive tread is what I have to have in tires as I use this thing every day here on the farm.I got stuck all the time with my WS tires. I found my aggressive tires and rims for wet weather. I keep the WS and rims for the summer since they do ride better.I figured instead of swapping rims with the tires I would get rims too and save $ over the long run. I paid $ 480 for the wheels and polished rims on eBay.The roof is heavy duty and I love it. MUCH better than the Mule design. If it is dusty where you are, check into getting the elevated air intake for yourfilter. I am looking at making my own out of pvc and fittings. It wouldn't take long to pay for itself.You wife will love the easy on and off of the RTV. That's one of the things I love about it. Power steering WOW!!!!! I could go on and on . There are a lot of great members with all sorts of ideas on add-ons. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!![&] Bordercollie

G

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I would like some verification as to the wiring of the lights to the switches in the overhead panel. If that's not advisable, I don't care to get the panel. Like Brian, I'd make my own. I put an ad in the paper for my tractor today. As soon as that's sold, I'll purchase the RTV. Thanks again. Rog

andrewbph

What type of tires did you buy? I have WS tores now and would like to get a better mud/off road tire. </P>

Thanks,</P>

Andy</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy,

I don't know who your tire question is directed to but I run Maxxis Bighorn's. I am VERY happy with them.

Hey Neil, How do I attach a pic?

Brian

ajdillon

I put Essex Surefoot 27" 6-ply Kevlar belted run flat tires on my RTV. I do some hunting in east Texas where they have little chopped down pine tree stumps the locals call "staubs" that will shred an ordinary tire. They required the 2 inch lift kit, but they are bulletproof!</P>

Andrew</P>