First mow of the season

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got the New Holland and about 75 ft of chain out to pull it out of the mud.
May I suggest you consider nylon straps instead of chain?

Personally, I'm getting too old to schlep a whole bunch of chain. 75' of strap weighs only a few pounds.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I tried my first mow of the season today even though it had rained some yesterday. About 30 mins into it I wasn't paying attention to what the ground conditions were. Yep mud and I'm stuck with the ZTR. I usually try to watch the front wheels and when They are throwing water it's time to back out. Too late. Got the New Holland and about 75 ft of chain out to pull it out of the mud. Spare all the details, but almost an hour later, they are both back is the barn where they should have stayed.

No pictures of the mud and mess? I came close to getting stuck the 2nd time I mowed. A known wet area was much wetter than it looked. I was in it and had to floor the ZTR to get out. Threw mud and water all over but made it. I'm truly surprised you were able to put off mowing this long.

I did my first mow of the season yesterday. Started raining this evening and we have a 90% change for tomorrow. So well more then likely be mowing next weekend also.

Really surprised you could wait this long also. Never would have guessed I'd be mowing before anyone in Texas. :pat: It sure does grow fast after the first few mows.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
No, no pictures. I was too busy trying to get the mower out of the neighbors yard. I was try to pull one way and the front tires were sliding another way, so........

Both of our yards are a mess.

OrangeBuggy

Really surprised you could wait this long also. Never would have guessed I'd be mowing before anyone in Texas. It sure does grow fast after the first few mows.

Well, I could have mowed a couple weeks back, but I really wanted something besides mustard weed to mow........

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I finally got the whole yard mowed. I wished I could have mowed a month ago, but with the rain and the nasty clay soil, I couldn't until it dried out some.
Now to fix the neighbors yard that i messed up last week.

Kanook

First mow of the season comes later up in these parts...Did a partial cut over the septic bed weepers today and at the front of the property only.Actually my neighbour did most of it as he was trying out my JD F525 mower that he's interested in buying. Could have waited another week except for the weeper area.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boy the rain yesterday sure did green up my yellow grass. Won't be long till I have to fire up the mower.
Anyone have to mow yet? This might just be the earliest mow since I started keeping records on here.
Wife wants me to wait till after Easter no matter for the Easter egg hunt .... I told her I'd just outline an area if I have to.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You made me look out the window. I've mostly been paying attention to how wet it is and how muddy the dog and my shoes are getting.

Grass is definitely greening up here as well. Not growing in height yet so I think I have a couple more weeks.

Need to get the roller out pretty soon and give it a good rolling before it starts to dry up. Urea and triple-19 at the ready and will put that down in a few weeks.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I have not started to mow here yet but it wont be long now. The grass is greening up and the weeds are starting to grow. Got up all the hickory nuts out of the yard yesterday and will service and sharpen blades on mower today. It sure doesn't seem like we have had much time off from mowing this year.IMG_0059.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Scag you got there. I'd never seen the diesel version. The place I bought mine didn't have any diesel....not that it matters I doubt I could have afforded one. I looked at Kubota's diesel ZTR and could not afford that so I went with the next best thing, a Scag Wildcat. It has done me good. 27hp vtwin engine and 61" cut. This will be my 12th season with it and I'm still smiling. :D

Here is a pic of it when it was close to new. And a 2nd pic of what I call my dynamic duo. Scag ZTR and Kubota Grand L 3010

Attachments

• ScagWildcat.jpg
    ScagWildcat.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 436
  • ScagAndKubota.jpg
    ScagAndKubota.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 499

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
Hey I like your "dynamic duo" you have there. I think the scag I have is a 2005 model maybe an 06 but have had it for a while and really like it. I has a Kubota diesel in it and will cut a lot of grass on a little fuel. I believe the diesel model that scag is building now has a cat motor in it. :wave:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, it's time. Parts of the lawn really need mowing. Just too darn wet. Weather has been perfect for fertilizing and rolling it so those are done. Just waiting for it to dry so I can mow. Unfortunately, we have rain or snow in the forecast for 4 of the next 5 days. :(

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, it's time. Parts of the lawn really need mowing. Just too darn wet. Weather has been perfect for fertilizing and rolling it so those are done. Just waiting for it to dry so I can mow. Unfortunately, we have rain or snow in the forecast for 4 of the next 5 days. :(

Time here too but too wet and more rain coming tonight and tomorrow.

The adjustment plates in the broadcast spreader were stuck the other day. I got them unstuck but we've had high winds so I haven't spread fertilizer either.

Typical Spring. It's April and I haven't done a thing!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Time here too. To wet and no time. Going to procrastinate as long as possible. Last year I was mowing in March. Glad that is not the case his year. Hope to hold out til the 12th or so. We'll see.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The adjustment plates in the broadcast spreader were stuck the other day.
I hate when that happens. Kroil does a nice job of freeing them up. After every use, i clean the spreader really well then hit it hard with Fluid Film.

Kanook

What a bunch of sissy weather wimps ...... Grass cutting ???? I'd have to remove about 2 feet of snow that fell last December to get to the grass. The snowblower is still on the tractor and the RTV still has the snow blade hanging off its front end. The ZTR mower is still parked under the Mustang that is sitting high and dry up on its 4 poster parking lift..No grass cutting in sight around these parts.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What a bunch of sissy weather wimps
Says the guy with cabs on all of his equipment. :yum: :yankchain:

Plowing or mowing... either is fine with me. Seat time either way. ;)

If it wasn't so wet, I'd be mowing. Snow is still in the forecast for this coming Saturday. Where I live, in the Spring and Fall, it's not uncommon to run the furnace at night then air conditioning during the day.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The adjustment plates in the broadcast spreader were stuck the other day. I got them unstuck but we've had high winds so I haven't spread fertilizer either.

I hate when that happens. Kroil does a nice job of freeing them up. After every use, i clean the spreader really well then hit it hard with Fluid Film.

I usually pressure wash both the spreaders before putting them away in the fall. I used the small one one last time and washed it with the garden hose instead of the pressure washer. I did spray it with fluid film but that just sealed in the black goo. Had to take it apart to clean it. I'll have to check the 3 point one. It may be stuck too and I would rather repair it at my leisure rather than because I need it now.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Says the guy with cabs on all of his equipment. :yum: :yankchain:
Kanook - you know I was joking/messing with you, right?

I mowed most of the yard after work yesterday. It was our one sunny (and windy which helped dry) day so it was relatively dry. I had to stop when I got to the lower ground as it was getting really slick and muddy.

Long-term forecast shows nicer weather next week so I'll be able to get the whole thing done.