Which Plow 2 Buy

Rob M

I was on here 5 years ago under a different user name I couldn't log in on it so I started over. I made a post on how I changed the Curtis plow to fully hydraulic. Yesterday she went under the plasma cutter and mig. I replaced my gravity blade with a large cylinder for down pressure. It turned out pretty good it will now lift the front tires off the ground about two inches.

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 266

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was on here 5 years ago under a different user name I couldn't log in on it so I started over.
Rob - Check your private messages. We can see if we can get your old one back for you if you would like.

kobe

I missed that one in the old files, but I sure like it. I don't mind the mamual angle at all for my normal plowing as I only need two passes in a half mile (In and out) but I sure would like additional down pressure. Most of my plowing area is asphalt, so on snow it works just fine. However, on the main road after some traffic, the frozen slush and ice is a bit harder to deal with~~~~~~~~~~KOBE

Rob M

Merry Christmas to you, you took it to another level you have skills brother. I'm jealsous of your height that you have after your mod. I might do something like that when it gets warmer. I did have to reweld the a frame it had stress cracks. The bad thing is I can't find that selector valve from surplus center any where. That was a good little mod for people that didn't like to weld. And just replacing that actuator with that little cylinder was a world of difference. I'm glad you still have your pictures of when you did it. I have no idea what happened to mine.

XTROOPER

Blizzard

I went through two Curtis plows and wrecked both. I went with the Blizzard 720LT and really like it for heavy duty work. I have 1/4 shale driveway with a stone wall border on one side that I occasionally bounce off of when the snow is high. The Blizzard has held up very, very well. My neighbor has a 900 and the Boss V blade and he really likes it. Blizzard or Boss would probably do everything you would like done. I know many like the Curtis, just not near heavy duty enough for my needs.

XTROOPER

Attachments

• 100_2425.jpg
    100_2425.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 242

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
XTropper,
I agree, the Blizzard is a fine unit and all self contained.

Wished I had started with one of those, but was already hooked on the Curtis.

You spent a serious amount of money.

Rob, Princess Auto was my supplier;

12V DC 2-Position, 6-Way Selector Valve
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Selector/12V-DC-2-Position-6-Way-Selector-Valve/8051799.p

After getting stuck so many times because the blade got hung up on the snow bank, it would lift up and then fall in behind the snow bank, it was time to try another approach. Plus the low attachment point of the curtis was always going to be an issue.

Got 20" to the bottom of the blade when fully raised. Had a good welder buddy.

Kanook

I've used a Blizzard since 09 and it is tough as nails...Only issue I have is when I first install it each year..Because it is self contained and uses its own electric over hydraulic system I need to tap the relay with the head of a screwdriver to get the electrics working...then it's good for the rest of the season..The relay (contactor) needs a nudge to wake it up after 7 or 8 months of sleep..Never heard anyone else complain about this problem however...A good snow blade with power up/down/left/right.

pop58

Kanook,

On the Blizzard web site there is not a good picture that shows the lifting part of the system.
Where is the cylinder located for lifting?
Thanks.

Kanook

POP58

Everything is self contained on the Blizzard....electric driven pump that powers the lift/lower (with down pressure and float) as well as the two cylinders that angle the blade left/right. Attached pic shows blade detached from RTV...the hydraulic cyls and pump is under the black dome.

Attachments

• blade.JPG
    blade.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 210

kobe

So far the inexpensive Curtis has been more then up to the job. as we just normally don't get more then three to six inchs of snow at a time. However, this winter has been so cold that the snow I plowed almost a month ago is now piles of ice. If we get a few more snowstorms I will have no place to go with the stuff, as the blade weight alone without downward hydralic pressure will not get the ice. Also as mentioned above it would be nice it it would lift higher. Thanks for all the input regarding the Blizzard.~ KOBE

Art454

I think on the blizzard blade you may have gotton some wrong info.

Me and my next door neighbor both have the 1100 with the same plow.

It raises and you can let it down were you want it or put it in float.....which will dig into the stones or ground but not on a hard surface.

So if you let it down it just rest on its own weight.....will not push down and raise the front end up or the wheels off the ground.

Art

kobe

Thanks Art, I would have thoughr there would had been downpressure with the hydralic setup~~~~~~~~KOBE

Art454

Me to and I took off the cover to try and see if it could be made that way......could not find anyway....dealers said no....they never seen one for the RTV that put pressure down.....Really I have never needed it to be truthfully...You have your hands full trying to keep it from digging in.

Art

pop58

Thanks for the info and pics.

Being here in Michigan I did learn that the Blizzard is a knock off of the Boss and Boss is made in Iron Mountain MI. What I mean by that is the people at Blizzard once worked for Boss, at least that is the roamer, they left Boss and came up with the Blizzard which explains why its a good plow.
Neither Boss or Blizzard makes a mount for the new 1120D yet so I think I will just have to wait till they do.

Kanook

MY Mistake.....Would have sworn that it had downpressure...Guess it was just the front of the RTV rising with the weight of the blade being relieved. Will check the innards out more closely next time I have the cover off.....Didn't intend to lead anyone astray..

kobe

I used my "B" series Kubota with the bucket a couple of times in the past, and if I almost got the front wheels off the ground it would clear most ice, however it was hard to control where you were going and obviously only worked on hard smooth surfaces.
The RTV is a lot more fun ~~~~~~~KOBE