Kubota Z18 fuel problem

pjj1951

Z18 with 200 hours. Stopped running and wouldn't restart. Detached fuel line after second fuel filter and turned key on: fuel pump sounded like it was working but no fuel. Detached fuel line between second fuel filter and fuel pump and turned on: pump making noise but no fuel. Vacuumed fuel out of tank, put in fresh fuel and turned key on: no fuel past fuel pump. Replaced fuel filter between gas tank and fuel pump. With fuel in tank when I undid the filter between the fuel tank and fuel filter there was no fuel coming out of the hose to the fuel tank. Turned on key and still no fuel past fuel pump although fuel pump sounds like it is trying to pump. Any suggestions?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I had the safety switch(s) go bad on my ZD28 and it wouldn't do a thing- just do the hum when the glowplug light was lit. I did some "work" on the switches and now it will crank from the first try. ( I also changed out the 2 fuel filters because it first started cutting out in the beginning- that didn't help it so I checked those switches and that was it. My fuel would pump diesel though because I turned the key so the air would purge when I changed the filters- and fuel spewed out. good luck bordercollie

pjj1951

I figured it out

I realized that the seat sensor controls the fuel flow, and when I sat on the tractor and turned the key on the fuel flowed.

pjj1951

False alarm...still no fuel

I was wrong, just some foam came out, and now no fuel. The fuel pump sounds like it is pumping dry. Suggestions would be appreciated. When I disconnected the first filter, no gas came out of the fuel line. There was a good deal of sediment in the bottom of the shop vac.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pjj, There was a member here just the other day that had a fuel problem. It was crud in the bottom of the tank. If I remember correctly, He blew out the fuel line hose closest to the tank by taking it loose there just by the tank and and blowing through it and into the tank . Then the fuel flowed. It seems as if the crud had blocked the exit fitting on the tank. bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I have the taste of kerosene in my mouth, but I have fuel! Thanks a million, Boardercollie.

PJJ, I hope things continue to work for you. :) Maybe you can get the rest of that crud out of your tank so it won't haunt you again.. ;) ( I just got your pm from this morning) so am happy you may be resolved.. By the way, Two Guns recommended a funnel for refueling that has a built in filter. I think he said it was a "Mr Funnel ?" but it cleans the fuel as you fill up. Maybe he will see this thread and check in. I also use a diesel fuel conditioner - it helps keep fuel fresher when not used as much. Anyways, good work. bordercollie