Newbie Diesel Cold Weather Questionms

wheeler

Back to the cold weather part of this thread, Our 2018 x1100c gelled up last week at 6 below. With winterized fuel ( cut with kerosene 60/40, and treated with PS ). This was after it had been running for about 3 hours.
It seems to me the tiny little fuel filter is in a very vulnerable place. Right in front of the right rear wheel, and outside of the frame. Very exposed. I had wrapped it with some foam, but apparently it needs some heat from somewhere.
Any of you people in colder climates have fuel problems ? And how do you deal with them ?
This one has tracks and is used to groom snowmobile trails, so it needs to be dependable in cold conditions.

foxalaska

Back to the cold weather part of this thread, Our 2018 x1100c gelled up last week at 6 below. With winterized fuel ( cut with kerosene 60/40, and treated with PS ). This was after it had been running for about 3 hours.
It seems to me the tiny little fuel filter is in a very vulnerable place. Right in front of the right rear wheel, and outside of the frame. Very exposed. I had wrapped it with some foam, but apparently it needs some heat from somewhere.
Any of you people in colder climates have fuel problems ? And how do you deal with them ?
This one has tracks and is used to groom snowmobile trails, so it needs to be dependable in cold conditions.

When I was running logging trucks in Montana, we'd see 30 to 40 below frequently and I never had a problem with 50/50 winter blend. I now live in Alaska and only use #1 in my Kubota and my rig starts with ease at 40 below. I agree with the crappy fuel filter and intend to put on a better one this summer. An older 1100 we had at the mine had fuel issues also, but it was water freezing in the tank outlet. That particular machine had a bottom draw tank(bad idea). Not sure what my machine has, never looked at it that close.