2030 JOHN DEERE TRACTOR POSITRACTION

JOHN CAMMACK

HI,

I HAVE A 2030 JOHN DEERE TRACTOR THAT ONLY ONE REAR WHEEL PULLS WHEN I NEED BOTH WHEELS TURNING. ONE SPINS AND THE OTHER JUST SITS THERE. CAN I GET SOME KIND OF REAR LOCK DIFFERENTIAL KIT ASSY TO INSTALL ON TRACTOR. MAYBE A HEEL PEDAL TO INGAGE WHEN I NEED BOTH REAR WHEELS FOR POWER. ALSO IF THERE IS A KIT, HOW HARD IS IT TO INSTALL. I HAVE SEEN THESE HEEL PEDALS ON OTHER TRACTORS. MAYBE THEY WERE FATORY INSTALLED. I DON'T KNOW.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Kind of hard to believe that a tractor of that size does not have a diff lock lever on it somewhere.

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk :wave::tiphat:

B

bczoom

It's been a long time since I've been on a 2030. I don't know if I'm recalling this correctly but isn't (wasn't?) there a diff lock lever on the left side of the tranny?

JOHN CAMMACK

2030 JOHN DEERE TRACTOR

I SAW ONE ON ANOTHER 2030 TRACTOR BUT DIDN'T BUY THAT TRACTOR. IT HAD A HEEL LEVER TO PUSH DOWN ON THE LEFT SIDE. DO YOU THINK THIS ONE IS EQUIPED FOR IT. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR.

THANKS,

JOHN

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi John. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk!!!!!

I thought all tractors came with the differential lock. I wonder where they would have put it before they started putting in the heel lock?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well I've learned something today. All tractors do NOT have differential lock. Your 2030 still might ...here is a description about where it 'might' be:

on the left side of the transmission case between the differential lock and the foot clutch. There is a mechanical gear shift for the pto.

Hope that helps.

JOHN CAMMACK

HI,

WELL, THAT GIVES ME SOME HOPE...BUT I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED. YOU SAID BETWEEN THE CLUTCH AND DIFFERENTIAL LOCK. THE DIFFERENTIAL LOCK IS WHAT I,M LOOKING FOR. I SAW THE PTO LEVER. IS THERE A SHAFT COMING OUT OF THE TRANNY THAT I CAN PUT A HEEL LEVER ON OR WHAT.
WHAT AM I LOOKING FOR IF THERE IS A LOCK DIFFERENTIAL ON TRANNY.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That is not me talking that is a quote that I found. From the quote it mentioned the diff on the side of the tranny, I was hoping that would help you locate it. I tried to find a pic bout could not locate one.
More info I found on the 2030 that you might find interesting:

The 2030 was built from 1971 to 1975 at the Dubuque plant.
The 2030 was offered in both gas and diesel up until 1973 when the gas option was stopped.
Both the gas and diesel version produced 60 hp.
It was important on these tractors to keep high quality coolant in them as the sheeves would pit and allow coolant in the cylinder otherwise.

It's possible some of the 2030's don't have the diff lock, but I have not verified that one way or the other. I'll keep looking.

urednecku

John, welcome to the forum.
I'm another one that thinks there should be a diff. lock somewhere, but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure.
If you get in a bind, I have used the turning brake on the spinning wheel to put pulling pressure on the other tire, but I wouldn't wanna use it any more than I had to.
(That was on the AO John Deere I grew up on!)

Ron Leard

The lever should be painted same green as tractor and tucked rearward of operators foot rest, maybe camoflaged and hard to find. Also, diff lock lever maybe broken off, if this is the case, can be replaced for less than $50.00

4runner

John,
Go to www.jdparts.com
left side of the window, look for "start searching here", and click "John deere parts catalog"
do a model search for your tractor, and get down to the appropriate sectional index. They have a picture of the diff lock lever.
Good luck,
Bob

JOHN CAMMACK

HI BOB,

THATS A GREAT WEB SITE. REALY HAS SOME GOOD THINGS. GREAT PICTURES AND EXPLODED DIAGRAMS.

QUESTION: HOW HARD IS IT TO CONVERT A 2030 TRACTOR FROM A NON REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCK TO A REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCK IS IT EASY TO DO OR IS IT VERY DIFFICULT. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANY SPECIALIZED TOOLS?

THANKS,

JOHN

4runner

John- I can't help you on the difficulty of the conversion. If I had to guess, I would think it would be on the more difficult side. Good luck.

Gray Beard

It has been a few years since I worked on the 2030.

The left hand rear axle casting or the left side of the diff. housing has a shaft out the front of it. The shaft is about 1 1/2 dim and about 2 in long, the foot pedal connects to it.
Above the foot rest.
Some took the pedal off because it was considered in the way.
Then the shaft froze in the housing.
WD-40 and lots of time and words or take it appart.

Hope this helps

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Gray Beard. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk .....I'm glad you found us and decided to join up. :tiphat:
Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

Gray Beard

Looked at the parts list on web. Doesn't show the diff. housing or I looked in wrong place.
But it showed the lock.
I was wrong on the shaft size it is 3/4 or 1in. and in the diff left side. Foot pad or hand lever and fits in a depression in side of case. The shaft has to be removed from the rear.
To work on the lock the planetary gear case and axle case have to be removed.
Shaft could be broken off at case.
Go to parts list and look at Diff. lock shows levers, then you know what to look for.