Seat time = back pain?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finally got some seat time yesterday. A little over an hour pushing and pulling snow around with my back blade. I spent a lot of time looking behind me. Now my back is killing me. Guess I'm catching up with some of the older members (54) but I never remember my back bothering me this much after a little tractoring. Anyone have things that help lessen back pain from seat time?

Mith

Doc, on the tractors I use alot I have mounted seats that I find really comfortable.
The really nice seats cost a heck of alot, but IMO its worth it.
On one I have mounted an old car seat, very comfortable.

However, it sounds like its just the turning around that is killing you, maybe time for an FEL mounted plow?

Something I have been thinking about is mounting a few mirrors to the fenders, so I can see the back of the tractor without turning round.

shinnlinger

Doc,

I am a fan of rigging my stuff so I can look forward. That helps alot! ALot of old timers said that about rear blades, they hurt your neck. Thatis why I did what I did with my backblade and wing.

You can get nice air seats from semi junkyards for not much if you think a different seat would help.

I have read the the vibrations from 4 wheeling can throw you back out of sync so that if you lift something after riding you are more prone to injury.

Getting older and not being in as good a shape as we should be though is proabably the real issue

PBinWA

Back pain was the number one reason I bought a ZTR with suspension last year.

I notice my back get's sore when I put thge rear chains on my tractor (they aren't the best chains - just good enough) and get a lot of seat time.

Lot's of backwards stuff hurts my neck more than my back.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's my lower back. Worse than ever today, but even if I'm brush hogging and not looking back much I still get the lower back pain. Only from the Kubota though. The seat is a premium one. :confused:

Mark777

Seems like if you've ever had any back problems, previous injuries or surgery...you are predisposed to have problems while operating tractors. I love working on any number of mine and their applications - but it's an hour tops before I can't stand it any longer. Have to turn over the wheels to my brother or another operator (that I can trust). For sure, if I push the hour envelope, it's a few days with the heating pad and light duty....must be an age thing too :(.

Mith

I agree, I think you guys need to find a seat that is more comfortable for you, there is no reason why you shouldn't be as comfortable on your tractor as you are in your truck or car.
Find a seat with adjustable back support and suspension.

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
So I guess if my back is already hurting (L4-L5 disc about gone) then I shouldn't even think about a tractor! BUMMER!!
:eek: :no: :unhappy: :notthatway:

Fred

Mith

85e1pic.jpg

Here Doc, you might need to take a seat when you find out the price, but if it stops your back hurting......

($1200) :eek:, OK, maybe it doesnt need to be that fancy.....

Archdean

:D
It's my lower back. Worse than ever today, but even if I'm brush hogging and not looking back much I still get the lower back pain. Only from the Kubota though. The seat is a premium one. :confused:

Yep!! That's it! Kubota's are the cause, Damn things anyway, I'll even come get it just to get it out of your way and take it off your hands!

It's the least I can do :waiting: and I won't even charge you for the back haul!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

irwin

So I guess if my back is already hurting (L4-L5 disc about gone) then I shouldn't even think about a tractor! BUMMER!!
:eek: :no: :unhappy: :notthatway:

Fred

Guys, wear a back brace, I have to.
Fred, sounds like the same as me, been about ten years since I was told surgery might help (might).
Sitting on the tractor may be a bit hard on my back, but smoothing and fine tuning the ground (hoe/garden rake), pulling and pushing rocks, wrapping chains, using a chain saw, etc. are much worse!! Rather be sitting and directing the help on the ground,:wink: from the seat of the tractor.

I finally got some seat time yesterday. A little over an hour pushing and pulling snow around with my back blade. I spent a lot of time looking behind me. Now my back is killing me. Guess I'm catching up with some of the older members (54) but I never remember my back bothering me this much after a little tractoring. Anyone have things that help lessen back pain from seat time?

Aleve and the chiropractor helps when my back hurts a lot. Lucky for me that my tractor came with a very nice seat and I do not get seat fatigue.

shinnlinger

BUst out your ol' JOe Wieder leather weigth belt and that just might help.

MIth,

That is the seat, but again buy it used!

jbrumberg

This thread brings to mind two "gifts" I received from the elderly patients I worked with years ago:

"Aging ain't for sissies"

"One does not age gracefully nor well"

Trust me they were right :eek:

Jay

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dean, Thanks for the offer buddy. Always ready to help. :D :yum:

I had thought of a back brace. I might hunt down one of them. Hopefully a nylon one if they work.

My seat has all those adjustments. Lumbar and such. I've adjusted it to no avail. I figure those who said age are right on. Darnit.

jbrumberg

Ditto on the seat here:cool:. But change the Aleve and chiropractor to Tequila.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

Tequila will do, but I tend towards a dry, gin martini (Is that a NE thing?). I am not sure which is more medicinal- I might have to try an experiment for the sake of "science" :cool: . Jay

PS: To All: I am still allowed by my doctors to have one :eek:.

Bindian

Tequila will do, but I tend towards a dry, gin martini (Is that a NE thing?). I am not sure which is more medicinal- I might have to try an experiment for the sake of "science" :cool: . Jay

PS: To All: I am still allowed by my doctors to have one :eek:.
Jay,:wave:
Remember on the Beverly Hillbillies, Granny always had her jug of "tonic" for medicinal purposes?:cool: Works the same with Tequila!:yum::yum:
hugs, Brandi