Time for New Cooling Fan

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, It has been a busy Spring for me. I have spent a good bit of the less windy days (not many of 'em around though) spraying pasture with the Kioti Dk40se. I have really enjoyed the work. It would be better if I wasn't under the gun though as the neighbor farmers are trying to plant earlier and earlier each year. That makes it hard to spray without concern. The rest of the times the RTV has been helping with the cow working or cleaning pastures. 12+ hr days for the past several weeks and I am tired - so almost didn't notice a "zippy" whinning noise when I was checking the fence today . I noticed the temperature gauge was close to the red zone on the RTV and was not going down. The noise had stopped but still the temperature was just not going down. I quickly raise the bed and see that the fan is still-. I am close to home but want to let it cool off so I walk that section of fence, Afterwards, I get it home to the barn while it is still in the safe zone and remove the fan. I checked the fuse before hand and it was good. I can see from inspecting the fan that the fan shaft has a bad bearing.(Got some wobble and very stiff.) The fan motor is $75 plus tax. What's really aggravating is that no one within 100 miles stocks the thing. !! Too late to order today so will end up paying $25 extra to overnite it on Monday.Nothing makes me appreciate the RTV more that not having it when checking on fence problems. In the truck and out the truck ,up and down, down and up open door ,close door, beat the cows to the gate in the truck open it pull through it , get out close it before the cows get out?? Ha!!! I will be glad to pay $25 for the overnite- those cows know how to beat me in the truck but not the RTV!! bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It ain't true-. the $75 I mean..... try $350 -$400 -what a rip off!! Anyone know of an after market source??? This is crazy.. I'm thinking maybe mount a different fan motor provided the blade will fit .... gee how depressing.... bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Anyway to get the bearings out or open it up for replacement of worn/burnt out parts?.............Is there a manufacturer's name or markings on it????????

You are right.....total rip off and yes, it is wrong....there must be a replacement, its only a 12V motor. It would seem to be the size of the shaft and mounting system........God bless, and in YOUR case I know HE does so just be patient Bud...........Dennis

DIXIEDOG

Is there any way you could mount an automotive electric fan in there? You could likely get one local if you have any Autozone, Napa, Pep Boys or Advance Auto type place there.

Something like this one

flx-398_w.jpg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks D&D and Dixiedog. I had to go work on the fence and take a breather so just got in for lunch. After crawling in and out of the truck about 40 or 50 times I am determined to make something work. I have searched on ebay just to see what is out there and have found quite a few that look as good as the oem.(Like Dixiedogs example etc.) The only problem I see is the mounting holes but I will just have to put on my thinking cap. The Denso oem is pressed together and not repairable. I going to go and measure the shroud and see what is the closest to it. By the way, the complete shroud,blade and motor are less than $75 on ebay. some are in the $40's and less. I wish I knew the cfm of the units but will go for one of those that appear heavy duty. Thanks for the encouragement. Bordercollie

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
fan

BC...try on from a 2009 jeep wrangler....just might work for ya Jerry

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks KiOho for the tip. I just got back from a working visit to se Ark- or would have replied sooner- no net there. I be checking on that fan tonight! Thanks again! bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hot Under the Collar- attempted rip off

I ordered a 12" Flex-a-lite fan through Amazon delivered for $68. This same fan is $20 more at jegs. I paid $4 for next day and here it is. After doing a lot of research, I decided that I wanted a name brand that would stand up to my demands . I looked at several brands and decided on this Flex-a-Lite "made in USA" one. This 12" model is the "392" and moves 920 CFM. I'm not sure what the oem $400 (just the motor no blade!) motor put out but it was so overpriced I became angry and really ticked at Kubota for trying to rip me off. I have discovered that most of these oem denso fan motors can be bought at a NAPA store for a fraction of the Kubota or other dealer price -just so you know for the future should you want a denso for a vehicle... This F-A-L system mounts directly on the radiator with a plastic bolt type system . It looks easy but am thinking about simply drilling 4 mounting holes in the original shroud and securely mounting the complete fan system to the old shroud with bolts and simply putting it back on with the vent correctly oriented . I took a few pictures of what I am thinking of doing with the mounting. If it doesn't work, I will just mount it directly to the radiator which is the normal procedure. I will keep ya'll informed. By the way, I got this Fed Exed about 5 this evening and had a little more feeding to do so when I started cleaning on the radiator it was getting late. Well, I started washing the radiator out and a lot of trash kept coming out. This was after I had blown it out "real good". I kept on washing out and blowing out and the trash kept coming. It was much easier to wash than normal because the shroud was off... Amazing, really amazing how much crud was still in there. So one day , if you have nothing to do , you may want to try this extreme cleaning .
Shame on you Kubota for trying to rip off loyal customers with" got ya over a barrel pricing". If I had , had to pay $400 for that $100 denso motor, I would go Green ! Talking about bad customer relations!! I'm still hot under the collar. bordercollie

Attachments

• DSCF3068.JPG
    DSCF3068.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCF3069.JPG
    DSCF3069.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF3070.JPG
    DSCF3070.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCF3071.JPG
    DSCF3071.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear it is working for ya...M/F wants 75.00 for a hydrolic filter....and so far cant find a cross for it...Im going to pull it off and start getting mesurements and start looking for a match that way....the first change I paid their price because it was in warenty....as soon as I find a match Ill post so that anyone else that has one can get around paying so much....later Jerry

cov62431

BC makes a good point, we use NAPA alot. ki0ho whats make and model on your massey/ I'll give it a look and see if I can find anything.

urednecku

kiOho, I bought filters for my Kubota from Messicks, I think it was. Even after paying about $14 shipping they were cheaper than the local dealer, by far. Didn't see M/F on their home page, but just meaning check several places on-line.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
BC makes a good point, we use NAPA alot. ki0ho whats make and model on your massey/ I'll give it a look and see if I can find anything.

It is a mod..1532....2008 0r 2009...It is actualy made by ISEKI for AGCO....
I have tried napa...Oreillys.. Baldwin...Wix...Fram....and a few others and cant find a match..The massy number is..6252978M1..Im betting that it is made in Japan...Im going to pull it off in the next few days and get the mesurements on the can...gasket ect and maby will find something that way....will sure apreciate any and all help on it.....thanks Jerry

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Nice work finding a work around for that overpriced Kubota part!

Thanks, I got it all hooked up and it works "just right". I drove around and raced down the road till the temperature approached the normal position -about 1/3 up for me. Then the fan kicked on and dropped the temp down almost to the starting point.Then it cut off.The next time, as soon as I saw the temp beginning to fall, I stopped and raised up the bed to have confirmation. Yes, it works!! If anyone should need to put one of these fans on their kubota pay attention to the wiring . The fan instructions are very clear about if the wiring is reversed the fan will be an air pusher instead of a puller.If it is reversed, then the blade would need to be turned around too or it won't perform well. I used the plug I cut off of the denso fan on the new fan and just plugged it right into the oem kubota plug.I save at least $300+ over kubota by using this Flex a lite fan which has a nice reputation and a yr warranty to boot. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. There are some things I just won't swallow when I don't have to. bordercollie

Bordercollie;
When I read your first ad I snickered a bit knowing Kubotas over kill fee structure would never produce a realistic part for seventy five dollars. They are definately out for profit over customer satisfaction.
I am a huge fan of refit or going with a different brand many times to make the existing situation better.
They have good products but you should be in a position to sell the ranch for major replacement items IF your a loyal customer.

Ricochet

Bordercollie;
When I read your first ad I snickered a bit knowing Kubotas over kill fee structure would never produce a realistic part for seventy five dollars. They are definately out for profit over customer satisfaction.
I am a huge fan of refit or going with a different brand many times to make the existing situation better.
They have good products but you should be in a position to sell the ranch for major replacement items IF your a loyal customer.

Yeah, it's amazing how much they mark up parts and accessories and go with cheap OEM components (so you have to buy their overpriced replacement parts).

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Yea, I'm just really glad that I confirmed the price . When the guy said $401 plus shipping/tax, I was informed the $75 was wrong so I said forget it!! Just remember the saying "Never trust nobody" and take care of yourself because others won't do things the same as you do. If they say the oil, or whatever, is ok then check it because some folks just don't care about what right anymore. bordercollie

I know what you mean. Last weekend my son drove home so we could check the squeek in the front suspension. I know it has been a couple years since we replaced the pads so I called NAPA, my local store for replacements ( I bought the $64.00 lifetime pads and found the old receipt )
He checked with four other local stores, no one had them in stock. I checked myself finding this hard to believe as a Toyota Solara has Camry pads . Found a local store across town with the pads in stock. Brought my receipt which they did NOT want to honor because NAPA stores are privately owned and they don't own the store where they were purchased.
Needless to say this brought on a heated response where I promised to call headquarters if this wasn't resolved. After more discussion he took my receipt and we left with the brake pads.
I'm going to be more of an Auto Zone person in the future. I have returned warantee items in the past without a hassle and they seem to care about customer relations.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The RTV and I gave the new Flex a lite brand cooling fan a good work out today trying to beat the approaching storm. In my opinion, it cools better than the original. I went down the paved road at 25 and it never went over a 1/3 of the way up.(temp gauge) I pulled a heavy trough through the pasture- it never went past 1/3 before cooling down. With the oem denso ,the temp would rise up when stressed. I am very happy with it and think things turned out better for me and the machine. Plus, $$$ saved. I will mention again that the wiring is odd on this flex a lite fan -black does not go to black if you want a puller. Thanks everyone and D&D you are right about being Blessed. Thanks again, bordercollie