Do you use a fuel additive?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I always use a fuel additive in the winter time ....but never in the summer time.
How about you? I got to thinking (scary as that might sound) that I should probably use it in the summer time also.

Mith

I'm not convinced these additives actually do anything to justify their cost. Diesel from the pump seems to have all the anti-gelling stuff already. I had a tractor sit with a tank of diesel for 3 months, started when it was well below freezing just fine. Infact, the reason I started it was because it was so cold the coolant was frozen.

The only problems I have had is with fuel bad from the pump.

No additives here, any tie of year.

PBinWA

I had some cloudy crud just below my fuel filter the other week so I gave the tractor a blast of Power Service and the cloudy stuff went away.

So I guess I use it "when needed".

jwstewar

Staff member
I'm pretty much with you Doc. Always do in the winter or at least starting in the fall when I'm not sure how much more fuel I'll be using. Never do in the summer. Of course, I'm also bad about using all of the fuel in the can and then going out to mow and running the tank low and not getting more fuel until time to mow or whatever. I usually change the fuel filter at 100+ hours when I do the oil change. I say 100+ because I try to do it right at 100, but usually end up going to to around 105 or so. Don't think I've ever gone more than 115.:hide2: I've not had any problems at all with fuel problems. I'm now at almost 800 hours on my little New Holland.