Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 AM

DougC will become famous soon enough
Question researching for future purchase

Around 30hp loader backhoe I think. I've rented a couple. Have 40 acres in E. Washington. Going to remove fallen trees, clear brush and saplings, landscape and create agricultural area on 5 acres over a couple years. Keep a fire break cleared each year. Most of the land is on a slope. Maintain the 1 mile dirt/gravel road and drainage, remove snow. Possibly do some house construction prep and backfill. Which brand/model?
Are the ones from India as good?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Hi Doug. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk.

30hp sounds like the perfect size for what you are wanting to get done. I started to go a little smaller, but ended up with a 30 and am glad I did. Mine is a Kubota. It has done a utterly fantastic job for me. It's done everything I've wanted and more.
The only item on your list that would make me consider a wee bit more HP would be the back hoe. I've considered a back hoe but it's still in the consideration stage.

Kioti has a very good rep and saves you a few dollars. A number of members on here have a Kioti. I have no experience with the offerings from India but expect some of our members do.
Good luck in your search. Sit in as many seats as possible. You'll just know the one that is right for you. Ergonomics play a very key role in tractor shopping.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 02-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Erik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura aboutErik has a spectacular aura about

Doug, welcome to the forum.
Mahindra (India) TYM (Korean), Kukje (Korean, marketed as Branson & the new Montana), Kioti (Korean and a more common name to some), all provide sturdy equipment at a good value point.
Case & Hew Holland are the same machine w/different paint.
McCormick is made in Italy
Massey/Challenger are Japanese (Iseki)

I have 35 acres and built a house a couple of years back - I also use my 35 HP machine to maintain firebreaks w/a 6' brush hog, so I see our chore lists as being pretty similar - other than you working on more slopes than me. (Kansas = not known for steep slopes )
Figure 5 PTO HP per foot of mower for rough stuff. You'll also want a box blade 6-12 inches wider than your back tires.
30 HP might do what you want, but I highly recommend filling your tires no matter which way you go, for a lower center of gravity.

good luck!

if we cannot make you have fun we will make fun of you
Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM

MtnViewRanch is on a distinguished road
Style:

Doug, if you are talking about Mahindra tractors, most of the ones that Mahindra sells that are in the 30hp range are made for Mahindra by Mitsubishi. They are very good tractors and basically trouble free. I have a 3215HST myself, and while it is a good machine I would be looking in the 40-50hp range if it were me. Mahindra has some new models that look like they are a very robust line of machines and they are built in India. They are the 35 series tractors, and I believe that they are the 3535, 4035, and 5035. The 5035 just now came out and is not yet listed on Mahindra's website, but I have a brochure. http://mahindrausa.com/tractorBySeries.php?c_ID=35

Either the 15, 16 or 35 series would work well for you. When I got my 3215HST, I was very impressed with what a little workhorse that it is and I have a Mahindra 7520 also, just to give you some reference.

I would recommend that you check out every make and dealer that is within a reasonable driving distance for you. Just about all tractors these days are pretty good machines and will do what you need to do. But they don't all feel the same, controls etc. are in different places. You really need to set your butt in the seat and get a feel for how you sit and where all the controls are placed and if they are located in a comfortable location for YOU. What fits one person does not mean that it fits you. Comfort is something that only you will be able to tell. Some guys say that you will adjust to what ever you get, and while that may be true, I say why? Why adjust to something if you can buy something that feels natural from the get go?

Another thing that you may consider and this depends largely on you, is the dealer. If you are a person that is going to depend on the dealer for a lot of things, ( service, warranty, transportation) then you may want to shop dealers first. Find the dealer that is going to do all the things that you might need him to do, then find the tractor that will suit you that he happens to sell.

All things to ponder, I hope that some of this may help you. Oh, one last thing, some tractor brands that I would consider.
Branson
Bobcat
Case
John Deere
Kioti
Kubota
Landini
LS Tractors
Mahindra
Massey Furguson
McCormic
New Holland
TYM
Good luck
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM

thcri is on a distinguished road

I think 30 hp is a tad bit light and will agree with MtnViewRanch
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks. I'll go out and sit on everything.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:07 PM

urednecku is on a distinguished road

I'll agree with what others have said...sit on as many as you can, & the dealer makes a big difference.
I will add, if it comes down to 2 or 3, go with the 'bigger' one. I have never heard anybody say "I wish I had just a little smaller tractor". But several times I have said "I wish this thing was a tad bigger"!
I have the Kubota M7040, and like it. It pretty much does all I need on the 72 acres I run.
Good luck, & keep us informed!
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM

listerfarms is on a distinguished road

looking at jd 5425 and 5410 whitch is best
Old 03-30-2010, 09:22 AM

bordercollie is on a distinguished road
Smile

I just bought a DK40 se Kioti. with the 401 loader. Thanks to members here I went with this model and size. I love it. It is very finished and comes with a drawbar and 2 remotes , horn, and the loader is detachable with it's own stands and well plumbed with quick disconnects. It has buttons for 4wd and the pto. I just love it and am cutting my teeth this week on it by spraying pastures. It is great .. Kioti has incentives right now as in $ 3500 off of the DK 40 with loader. I got mine with farm tax and delivered the mid 19'000. Good Luck! Bordercollie
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm noticing there's not too many dealers in the Wenatchee are, unless someone knows of one thats not popping up on the net
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM

EastTexFrank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I'm noticing there's not too many dealers in the Wenatchee are, unless someone knows of one thats not popping up on the net
That kinda limits your choices but there is some good information in this thread.

Like others I would put 30 hp as your minimum. It would probably handle most (if not all) of your tasks but when it comes to clearing downed timber there is no substitute for power and weight, especially when working on slopes. I too am on some pretty fierce slopes and I did, and I'm still doing, most of what you want to do with a 24 hp tractor but hauling out downed timber was a struggle for the little baby. It was willing and it tried and it tried but it usually meant that I was wading into brush with the chain saw to cut it up into smaller, more manageable lengths. Now, with the L4740 in 4-wheel drive, you'd be surprised what you can drag out of there. It's a completely different animal. If you do err, err on the larger side. Don't get into the mindset of, "What is the smallest tractor that I can get by with". Nobody ever regretted having a few extra horses and a few extra pound when it came to the heavy stuff.

Good luck with your shopping.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM
E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971

MBDiagMan is on a distinguished road

A good way to get good value is if you are comfortable with a clutch pedal. Buy one of the simple models with manual gear selection and a clutch pedal. It will get you more tractor for the money and less doodads to have to maintain and expen$ively repair in the future.

My $0.02,

John Deere 5045D, Ford 3000 Diesel, Bad Boy Lightening ZTR Mower

I live so far out in the boondocks that my TV runs on propane.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM

fla45fan is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm really liking the TYM line - looked at New Holland, Cub Cadet, Mahindra and Kabota - bought a TYM 353HST - looks like you have a dealer in Thorp -www.tractorco.com. Do a little shopping - got mine w. FEL and yrk rake for under 15k! see my reviews in the Other Brands forum and Tractor selection forum.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM

thanks guys. I keep reading these, so feel free to keep suggestions coming
Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Big Dog is on a distinguished road

My local Kioti dealer is advertising a CK30 with loader for $15,500

My right to keep and bear arms should not be curtailed by the fears, phobias and paranoia of those who don't!
The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker.......
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 PM

RetiredLE is on a distinguished road

So, what did you buy?