Net Tractor Talk

Go Back   Net Tractor Talk > Prospective Buyer Forums > Tractor Selection Forum

Tractor Selection Forum Do you need help with figuring out what size or type of tractor you need? Ask your questions right here.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 AM

fla45fan is on a distinguished road
Default beach tractor help - newbie

OK I'm very new to this tractor stuff - I recently inherited my childhood home which happens to be on a beach on Lake Erie in WNY state. Years ago we used a jeep to haul logs and back drag the sand to remove weeds and light debris. Nowadays it seems everyone is using tractors to do the job. I hired a contractor to clean it this spring and he used a large John Deere (95 series i think) to lift the logs (anywhere from 10 to 25 feet) before cutting them with a chain saw and stacking them to burn. He then used a rear rake to clear debris and weeds growing in the sand. It looked like the local public beach - clean and neat. The weeds tend to grow (like weeds) constantly causing me to use a weed whacker to clear them every month (3 hours each time). I have access to New Holland, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Mahindra, and JoHn Deere (I think) dealers. I want a front end loader bucket (possibly with some sort of fork attachments) and a rear rake. How much HP will I need ? What specs should I be looking for in bucket lifting capacity? Out of the brands which gives the biggest bang for the buck? Spring clean up after the winter storms is a BIG project - this year over four hours by a professional with a big tractor. Bear with me - I'm trying to spend as little as possible but don't want to have to upgrade because I cheaped out. I'm all ears.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 AM

irwin is on a distinguished road

4 hours of work a year with large tractor. Mmmm

Do you have any other use for a $16k to $40k machine? How much land is included in this beachfront property...

The biggest job you mentioned is moving logs.. they can be cut so a smaller tractor could move them easily, unless you have other chores for it just about any tractor will work.

Good luck tractor hunting...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

Welcome to the forum.

I grew up somewhere around where you are now. Our beachfront was between Sturgeon Point and Wendt beach in Derby. At the time, it was also a working dairy farm so we had all sizes of tractors.

For dragging logs and debris removal, everything from a compact tractor in the 25HP range up to the 100+HP JD's worked. In general, it was the compact tractors that did the work.

Things you didn't mention but you're going to have to consider.
How long and how steep is the trail/road that's going to take you back off the beach? Basically, how far from the water edge to where you're off the sand and on hard ground? That soft sand is where 90% of your problems are going to occur. When the sand is soft and dry, there will be times your tractor may start to sink.

You have beachfront property. You have a tractor. Be prepared to launch boats... Our family and friends would bring their boats to our house to launch instead of going to the public launches. For this, you're going to want a tractor with high ground clearance. If the ground conditions underwater were right, we would drive the tractor with the trailer/boat in tow (and all passengers already in the boat) until the boat floated right off the trailer. If the conditions weren't quite right, we would back into the lake and launch in a traditional fashion. Sandbars were also an issue. There's times that we needed to drive the tractor with boat in tow through a couple feet of water out a couple hundred feet, then get up on the sandbar that was out there and launch the boat on the far side of that.

Do you have any use for using this tractor in your lawn areas? R4 (bar) tires are going to be your best selection for beach use. They're just hard on lawns if the ground is soft and you drive over it.

Ahhh, snow belt USA. What's your plans for the winter? How are you going to clean your driveway? How big is your driveway? You'll be getting pretty high winds and snow drifts. You'll want to be considering snow removal as well. The FEL will work but what implement for the back (blade or snowblower)? If you're considering a front-end snowblower, make sure you get the correct PTO setup (as many use a mid-PTO which isn't standard on a lot of tractors).

If you do get the tractor stuck, how are you going to get it out? Is there other (larger) tractors available to drag you out or are you pretty much on your own? If the latter, you don't want to go to big or heavy...

OK, with that as a start, here's my 2 cents.
Something between 25-40HP should be enough.
You'll want a high ground clearance. Don't look at sub-compacts.
4WD will get you a LOT farther than a 2WD in both sand and snow.
If you're mechanically inclined, any decent brand (new or used) should work. If you don't want to work on it, stick with the more major brands and get newer.
Sand is your worst enemy. Look for details on the tractor that have things as protected as possible. This includes boots over U-joints, covers for PTO shafts, sealed hubs...
Tire Chains may also be in your future... Look at the clearance between the tire and the fender to make sure chains can fit through there without hitting your fender.
Tractor weight is not your friend on the beach. The heavier it is, the more it sinks. Larger (wider) tire can compensate for this.
Whatever you get, I'd propose you get a block heater... There will be some winter days your engine will appreciate it.

OK, all that said... I haven't looked at the newer ones but something in the size of a few year old Kioti C25 or C30 should fit the bill. The main drawback in my mind on this particular model would be that it may weigh more than comparable sized tractors from other mfgrs.

For your rake, get a good one... You'll be aiming for weeds but will be hitting slate and other heavier items. Make sure you pick on that can handle it (e.g. buy a rock rake/York rake that's made to handle the rocks but will pick up the weeds and debris as well).

Oh, speaking of snow... below is a pic of our house after a few days of blowing snow off the lake. OK, it was a blizzard. The beach/lake is on the other side of the trees behind the house. As you can see, the only way out was the 2nd story window. It took us a couple weeks to find my Mom's car... which was in the driveway. Some single story homes in the area were completely under snow with the exception of their chimney. We took shovels and broom sticks to dig them out. The broom sticks were to poke through the snow to find the end of their house, then shovels to dig out their door so they could get out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blizzard of 77.jpg (79.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Chief Bottle Washer / Admin

Doc is on a distinguished road

Excellent post Brian (BC)!!!!! Lots of good info there.

I would suggest not going smaller than a 30hp compact tractor especially if you will be dealing with lots of logs.
You can easily add clamp on forks to the front end loader, they work well and will help with the log work.

Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. I'm glad you found us. have fun tractor shopping and be sure to update us as to what you decide on.

Other Fun Forums:
Forums Forums .com +++ Net Pet Talk Forums +++ Net Cooking Talk Forums +++
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

bczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nicebczoom is just really nice

PS/EDIT: I said R4 tires. I really meant R1 tires.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Irwin
There will be much more than 4 hours a year. Normally I work between 40-80 hours in the spring doing physical labor just to clean up after the winter storms. The guy I hired this year (a professional) did it in about 3-4 hours using a BIG tractor. Other storms throughout the year just add to the work load. Then the weed whacking every month is between 2-3 hours - a rake would help greatly as well as debris and seaweed cleanup. Yeah I was hoping to get away with much less than $16-40k!

bczoom
wow, lots of info here - thank you
First - yes Hanford Bay outside of Silver Creek. There is access to the beach through a neighbors property - a very driveable incline to soft sand out to the shore. Now there are no boats in the future, but it's not out of the question. I know that there will be no grass cutting or snow removal (brand new snow throwing in the garage). As far as outside help there is a Ford and a New Holland that might be available but I'd rather not depend on that. (The Bobcat down the road doesn't look very capable).
A York rake? I'm guessing that's a type, not a brand. Sounds like it's the ticket for what I want to do. We have mostly sand and small rocks but no slate.

So I need a 25-40hp, 4WD compact with a front bucket and a York rake with bar tires. Any ideas on brands and or models? I have access to New Hollands at Romance & Sons, Mahindra and Cub Cadet Yanmar at Gugino's, and John Deere at Z&M Ag.

doc
gotta look into those clamp on forks - I'm betting they would be great for the really big logs

To all thanks for your advice, ideas and patience.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM

irwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla45fan View Post
Irwin
There will be much more than 4 hours a year. Normally I work between 40-80 hours in the spring doing physical labor just to clean up after the winter storms. The guy I hired this year (a professional) did it in about 3-4 hours using a BIG tractor. Other storms throughout the year just add to the work load. Then the weed whacking every month is between 2-3 hours - a rake would help greatly as well as debris and seaweed cleanup. Yeah I was hoping to get away with much less than $16-40k!
So I need a 25-40hp, 4WD compact with a front bucket and a York rake with bar tires.

Okay' sounds like you're a man that will get some use out of a tractor.

How much are you able to invest in a tractor and implements? Better yet how much price research have you done?
Example 4wd Kubota L2800HST with FEL for approx ** $18k-19k, same set-up L3400HST $19k-20k..
Point being a new tractor with a FEL is a costly investment, an investment in your health and abilities. I choose those two examples because they are a no frills, solid economy Kubota line. To find a tractor in that hp range with FEL for more than a little under $15k you'll either be used or off-brand.

** location will affect pricing

Not saying anything against used, bought both my tractors used and had good luck with em' but if I was borrowing money to purchase one, I'd most likely go new... any preference?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM

For clamp on forks check out paynes forks
http://www.paynesforks.com/

When I got my forks I also bought the clamp on hitch for the loader. Makes it very easy to maneuver a trailer in tight spots.

But first things first. For your tractor shopping get out there and talk to all the dealers close by. Sit in the seats and ask questions. Ask the same questions you asked here and see what they say. You are armed with some knowledge now and that sure will help. The more seats you sit in the better you'll know which you prefer for the ergonomics. When you'll be spending hours in the seat it is time well spent to be sure you get the one that fits you best. After you sit in a few you'll know what I mean.

Good luck and keep us posted how the shopping process goes.

Other Fun Forums:
Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM

irwin
I haven't done the price shopping yet because I've been totally ignorant on what to buy. I figured I would start with places like this first so I could ask the right questions when I got to the tractor joints. Nothin' like people talkin' 'bout PTO's and York rakes and not having a clue what they're talking about! I would rather buy new but if the right deal presents itself in a used rig . . . sure! It's like my bike - thought I wanted a new Harley but ended up with a used Honda - and I love it. Less money, less maintanance, just as much aftermarket goodies and chrome

doc
Love 'em - just what I had in mind for lifting logs.

Maybe by next summer I'll be the "pro guy" and be cleaning the other beaches at $100/hour
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Maybe by next summer I'll be the "pro guy" and be cleaning the other beaches at $100/hour
That would sure help with that ole tractor payment.

I normally buy nearly new cars & trucks. I wanted to do the same when I was tractor shopping but found that tractors hold their value better than cars or trucks. I could not find a used one that was priced enough less than a new one to make me buy.

You get a warranty plus you get much better financing on a new one. So if financing your payment can be less because of a lower interest rate and extended term (if you want it).

Other Fun Forums:
Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 AM

toyz4roy is on a distinguished road
Default tractor size

I think bc has given you the questions and info to start your search. I started with a lawn tractor then a 16 hp kubota compact and then a 21hp kubota compact. I haven't regretted any of the purchases, each has done more than I expected. I do know one thing, once you do make your purchase you will use the tractor for more than you ever expected and it will be hard to do without if you decide to sell.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I have access to New Hollands at Romance & Sons, Mahindra and Cub Cadet Yanmar at Gugino's, and John Deere at Z&M Ag.
Since you're heading over towards Springville and Arcade, give Tri-County Supply a look as well. They sell Kioti and have a lot of implements. They're on Rt 16, IIRC just north of Genesee road.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
First - yes Hanford Bay outside of Silver Creek.
Is Sunset Bay Beach Club still there? It's been a lot of years, but that used to be one hell of a party spot.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Oh yeah the Beach Club is still there. I used to park my boat out front, drink beer and pick up girls like crazy. Now it's just filled with a lot of young, oh never mind
Old 08-07-2010, 10:25 PM

Hey I just checked out the TYM lineup on advise from a friend. I'm impressed! I found the T293HST, a 29hp , 4WD, universal skid steer quick attach FEL with a 5.2 cu ft bucket, 1100lb lift at PP, R4 industrials, and a 5 year warranty for a whopping $12,600 (cash price). A five foot rake adds $300 to the price. The guy spent alot of time with this newbie, insisted on a test drive, and right up front indicated that he would be giving me his best price, no haggling needed.

Rammelt's in Westfield NY (Don) knew his stuff and was confident about his place against the competition, suggesting that I NEEDED to check them out. Said TYMs are the biggest bang for the buck and has had them from the beginning. Also sell Husqvarna lawn mowers, walk behinds to zero turners, chain saws and the likes.

So what do you think? I will be checking out others soon (also saw Cub Cadet for about $4-5k more, as well as New Holland for $4k more.) Neither offered a test drive, gave me some brochures, had a nice chat.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Very interesting. I don't know the TYM brand well but the little I have heard has been good. Price sounds outstanding.
Buying a tractor is also about finding a dealer who you have a good relationship with and can work with through the years. The dealer you talked to sounded impressive. That's a good thing for sure.
Good luck!!!!!!

Other Fun Forums:
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Mapleshade is on a distinguished road

This is what my buddy in Holland uses to maintain 10 miles of beach. After big storms he has found everything, including a whale.
Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beach4.jpg (76.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 PM

myyaz33 is on a distinguished road

My opinion is that a T293 would be a bit small for beach cleaning. I really don't think you would get the traction you need. If you like the TYM brand I would like into a T353 or T433

OR you could go get one of those big units like Mapleshade posted.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 AM

mapleshade
Now that's a tractor - if I had a mile of beach that would do it

myyaz33
How come? Don't you have a new 273? I was hoping that the 293 would have sufficent HP to do the job. Or should I be worried about the R-4 industrials. The dealer had confidence in the R-4 because they are wider than the R-1 ags and that they were less likely to sink down in the soft sand. I would love a 353HST but I didn't ever price them - starting to be at the high end of the price range with the 293.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:40 AM

TIRES
I'm still tossing tire types around - bczoom suggested the R-1 ags and the dealer is talking about the wider R-4 industrials. This is a combination of hard and soft sand with rocks mixed in. Opinions? I'm hoping to corner a couple of local beach tractor owners this week to get their opinions too.