Plumbing for Plow

Big Wheels

Help!
Looking at an 8' Quick Release plow (Used). I have quick connects at the rear ( for Hoe) and figure that will work. Will those hookups work?
What do I add for a control for left/right on plow?
Thanks,
Bob
Here is a pic from warmer days with my favorite Gal

458466842_AJ52p-M.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good picture. :thumb: :D
Never pulled a plow so I figure someone else will jump in here shortly with some info. Good luck.

rback33

I have never seen a plow with left/right controls. It sits in the furrow and goes.... Do you have a pic of this piece of equipment you are talking about?

rback33

I should have been more clear Snow Plow on the QR loader frame - sorry!

OH!!! :eek: Now THAT is a completely different animal there!:letitsnow:

Rear remotes could work. What will those be controlling? Depending on how you do the plow works, you might be able to use the tilt circuit of your loaders valve.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Seems to me the FEL will control the lift/lower and the tilt. Run the hoses to the rear for the left/right. Maybe I'm missing something.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Depends on the plow. Does it have one or two cylinders to control movement right and left?

kennyd

BW,

Maybe I am missing something here...

You already have a "rear remote" correct? You have 2 QD's (quick disconnects) at the rear and a lever that controls them?

If that is correct, then you do not need anything else, just long enough hoses. You probably have two SA (single acting) cylinders each with one hose attached to it, so to just plug the to hoses from th etwo cylinders into the QD'a at the rear.

Remember: The valve, remote or spool (whatever term you like) will see two SA cylinders as one DA (dual acting(with two hoses)) cylinder.

OK, I just re-read your post...You do not have a valve to control the hoses at the rear do you? I think what you may have is a "power beyond" loop to run your backhoe. In that case you will need a buy a spool valve and plumb it into that loop. This will turn into a $500 job...If you wan tot proceed I will give more detailed info...

rback33

How about some pics of the setup for the backhoe then? I understand Kenny's thoughts about the "loop," but what happens when he takes the backhoe off? All the one I have seen are set up as rear remotes with a handle to control flow to them. Otherwise, he would have to connect the two back together when he takes the backhoe off. Am I missing something here?

Big Wheels

I am 2 states away from the rig right now. Yes when the hoe is off I do have to plug the flow to the Hoe into the return to keep the loop intact. Thinking of using the Tilt lines on the bucket which would keep operation the the joystick - This would take away snow plow tilt. What do you think? I will be in VT late Thursday and I am sure things will look simpler in view of the tractor. - Bob

Last edited:

rback33

I am 2 states away from the rig right now. Yes when the hoe is off I do have to plug the flow to the Hoe into the return to keep the loop intact. Thinking of using the Tilt lines on the bucket which would keep operation the the joystick - This would take away snow plow tilt. What do you think? I will be in VT late Thursday and I am sure things will look simpler in view of the tractor. - Bob

OK. Perfectly clear now. Interesting that they did it that way.... I would say that you can use the tilt function of the loader valve to handle the left and right of the blade. Obviously, you use the loader lift circuit to lift it up and down and that you will have to make sure the blade is at the right tilt angle front to back before dropping the loader circuit out for the plow.

Big Wheels

Thanks to all!

Thanks guys, I will let you know how this works out after I get the Snow Plow to VT on Thursday late.
Bob
Here is picture from Monday of a Winter visitor to New England:

458633974_d3LJd-M.jpg

kennyd

OK. Perfectly clear now. Interesting that they did it that way.... I would say that you can use the tilt function of the loader valve to handle the left and right of the blade. Obviously, you use the loader lift circuit to lift it up and down and that you will have to make sure the blade is at the right tilt angle front to back before dropping the loader circuit out for the plow.

RB,

This is a VERY common way of doing it on Kubota tractors. They just extend the PB loop from the FEL valve to the rear of the tractor. JD also uses a similar setup for their BH's.

Last edited:

kennyd

OK then, what you have is called a "powerbeyond loop" for your hoe...

Disconnecting the curl/dump lines to the bucket and plugging in the plow can have mixed results. Often the loader cylinder leakdown a little, especially with the heavy plow hanging way out front and then you can't correct it because your hoses are disconnected.

The "easiest" way to get this done is what is called a 3rd function electric-over-hydraulic valve kit from WR Long. This setup will cost about $600.00 or so, but comes with all the hoses, fittings, brackets, and QD's plus a new joystick handle with a switch in it to operate the valve. Angling your plow is just a matter of moving the switch. The kit's are also tailored to fit your loader. If this sounds good then call them and talk to Nelson...He is a super nice guy to deal with.

Piecing together valve setup yourself will still cost $400+ and you will have to source all the parts to get it to work, plus fabricate the brackets to mount it all.

Let me know what you think...

Big Wheels

Kenny, Thanks, that rig looks good. I will have the plow and tractor in the same place Thursday night so I can see, feel and figure from there. I sure the WR Long is the way.
Bob