Loader

Mith

I got the tyres loaded today, 75 pounds of water in each tyre. It sure digs alot better, still needs more weight though. Another 200lb should do it.
Took and lifted a full bucket of wet rot (composted grass).

Attachments

• 19-07-07_1647.jpg
    19-07-07_1647.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 26

snowbird

Nice looking loader. I've given some thought to building one and now you've given my both inspiration and some good looking ideas.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor Talk snowbird. I'm glad you joined up.
Mith is talented indeed. If you decide to make a loader I hope you'll share project pics like Mith has. We all like to see the work in progress .... and the finished product if you are willing to share. :thumb:

Mith

Snowbird, welcome!
Are you planning on designing your own or purchasing plans?
If you havent already take a look at the pf engineering site, www.loaderplans.com I got alot of ideas from there, and from looking at other peoples projects.
What kind of tractor are you planning on adding it to?

snowbird

Anxious to post pictures and tell the story of my quite unusual four-wheel drive articulated "garden tractor" with a Nissan pickup engine and 5-speed transmission. Based on another forum, I'm thinking I might need to have 5 posts before I can submit pictures?

Mith

I think you should be able to upload attachments using the 'manage attachments' button in the advanced reply screen.

Looking forward to hearing about your articulated tractor, thats another project I'd like to try my hand at someday.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Snowbird, I have not had the spam issues on this forum so I have not locked down new users. You should be able to post pics from post one on.

Articulated tractor with a nissan engine?? Sounds interesting for sure!!!!

snowbird

It looks like my pictures might be attached. I had to "downsize" them to fit from .bmp to .jpg.
Description: I built this tractor from scratch with the engine and manual transmission from a Nissan pickup (about 1985) 4-cylinder my dad had in a pickup that he had an accident in. The differentials are from two very old garden tractors (Pennsylvania Panzers) and are actually cut-down rear ends from Plymouth cars. I got some machine shop help to attach a drive sprocket on the front of the engine do power a 26 gpm hydraulic pump to provide hydraulics for the steering and I've got two remotes controlled from the cab. The tires and wheels are from an old John Deere 8-row corn planter and the articulated center is from an older plow rear wheel. As the picture shows, I've built a matching tilt-bed trailer and I've also modified a 42 inch snow blower for the front. I hope to build a neat loader like in your forum and I might also build a pull-type grader or earth-mover to pull behind it. So far I've made a heavy roller for my lawn for it by welding two 50-gallon barrels together and filling them with cement.
Hope you find this all interesting.

Attachments

• closer side view tractor.jpg
    closer side view tractor.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • right side view.jpg
    right side view.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
  • rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 18
  • left side engine.jpg
    left side engine.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 18
  • right side engine.jpg
    right side engine.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 17
  • differential chain drive.jpg
    differential chain drive.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 19
  • trailer for kit.jpg
    trailer for kit.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 18

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WOW!!!!!! That is impressive. Awesome job!!!! I tried out a small articulated tractor before buying my kubota. I liked it (a power Trac), but decided on the Kubota instead. One the size of yours would be perfect. Did you add a 3ph, or rig up some other way to attach your implements?

snowbird

My snowblower attaches to the front end with a bracket and I use a small hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower it.

I plan on primarily designing pull-type implements for the rear end, since I've got a big John Deere tractor (170 hp) for heavy 3-point work left over from when I was farming. My little tractor is more for light jobs (and for fun - - - I like designing and building stuff. Wish I had the drafting and engineering capabilities apparent in other contributors to this forum. I plan to lean on their suggestions for a loader, for example).

Mith

Thanks for posting, thats a pretty darn impressive machine!

It looks like it might be a bit exciting on hills being so tall, but pretty much spot on for around a yard

Very neat. How long did it take to build?

snowbird

I guess I've never driven it sideways on a really steep hill. Don't have many of those where I live, but its center of gravity is pretty low I think because there's lots of heavy metal below 24 inches or so. I think the cab makes it look tall, too.

I'd guess the basic machine was ready to test-drive in about 4-6 months. I never kept track, but it became sort of an obsession for me (I'd sometimes even get up early in the morning and go out to the shop to work on it).

I've sometimes wondered if for folks like me who like to invent, engineer, and build stuff with their hands are somewhat like poets, writers, and composers who just have a "drive" to do their things: it just sort of comes out.

Mith

Snowbird, were you planning on adding a loader to your arcticulated tractor or another?
Your artic pretty much has all the hard part done, just make a frame and plug the hydraulics into your remotes, or run an extra valve into the cab.

Took the loader off the tractor the other day to get easier access under the bonnet. It wasnt quite as 'quick' attach as I had hoped, but a few modifications and it should go on and off in about 5 mins.

snowbird

Loader would go onto the little articulated tractor. I have a big John Deere with loader, so the little one would be for small jobs (but mostly just for the fun of building it).

You must be a good designer to make a quick-attach loader.

snowbird

Looks like an interesting forum, but I couldn't get registered. (Got error message saying page couldn't be displayed).