tractor will not start

plumbing01

hi i need help my craftsmen .i belive it is in the kill swich under the seat. is there a way to override it maybe at the starter.thanks chris

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to NTT plumbing01.
I don't usually defeat safety switches, but you might be able to do it under the seat. Connect the 2 wires together. Also make sure you have the clutch/brake pushed all the way. Some of them won't start without it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Plumbing01, sorry to hear about your tractor trouble. I'm glad my Kubota does not have the seat kill switch, cause if it did I sure would be tempted to disconnect it like OhioTC said.
I hope you enjoy NTT and don't forget, post often! :thumb:

Mith

Jerry has your way of 'fixing' the seat switch.

If you just want to make sure the tractor spins over you can connect +12V supply straight to the terminal on the side of the starter and it should turn over. Or you can jump across the terminals on the starter solenoid which is pretty much the same effect as connecting straight to the starter.

If you provide more details on the problem we can probably give you a better idea what it might be.

xPosTech

Welcome to NTT. :wave:

On some older Craftsman machines the switch opens when the operator is present. If so, just unplug the switch connector under the seat. If that doesn't do it, then try shorting the terminals as Jerry said. If you hear a 'click' when trying to start, I would suspect the solenoid.

Follow Mith's advice to eliminate starting circuit interlocks. Make sure the blades are off and it's out of gear. Have someone sit in the seat, push in the clutch and turn the key to run. Connect one jumper cable from the positive battery terminal to the big red connector on the starter. Don't clamp it to the starter connector, just touch it.

Whatever you try, always expect it to start. Don't let it surprise you when it does. Never stand in front or between the wheels, etc.

All in all, interlock switches are pretty reliable. I've never come across a failed switch, just the mechanisms that open or close them, or the wiring.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Doc: Might want to take another look at that "welcome to forum" smilie. :rolleyes: