Seat belt - use it?

Mith

Does anyone actually use their seatbelt?

I was just reading an article that Paul C had posted on another site about safety.
I think we all know that we should be using a seatbelt with a ROPS, but how many of us actually do?

I'll admit, I dont think I have ever used a seatbelt on agricultral or industrial equipment (but have never been on the road). Why, I dont know.... Just havent got into the habit. Looking back there are instances when wearing one would have made my life easier, let alone safer. I had an excavator on a slope, and had my feet on the front of the FOPS to stop me sliding off the seat. Had I been wearing the seatbelt I wouldnt have been sliding out the seat.

Anyone admit to not wearing theirs, or anyone with stories how the belt saved them?
I really must get into the habit like it is in cars/trucks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I plowed snow last weekend and did not use the seat belt. My driveway is completely flat and I had to turn a lot to see the rear blade (see seat time = back pain thread).
Other times, when I'm bush hogging or moving dirt from one place to another I always wear the seat belt because there is always hills involved. Kinda steep hills in spots. I've had enough pucker factor to know I need the seat belt.

mobilus

Jim, my land is flat as a sheet of paper...so when I'm on the tactoe here, I don't wear my seatbelt. But there have been many occasions out on jobs that I have worn it. I know that it and the ROPS can save lives, but to use it every time you mount the tractor just because it's there doesn't make sense to me. The theory of Operational Risk Management calls for a balance between acceptable risk and mission accomplishment. Depending on whether the job at hand involves any chance of roll-over, and the degree of that possibility, is the determining factor for me.

Mark

Jim, my land is flat as a sheet of paper...so when I'm on the tactoe here, I don't wear my seatbelt. But there have been many occasions out on jobs that I have worn it. I know that it and the ROPS can save lives, but to use it every time you mount the tractor just because it's there doesn't make sense to me. The theory of Operational Risk Management calls for a balance between acceptable risk and mission accomplishment. Depending on whether the job at hand involves any chance of roll-over, and the degree of that possibility, is the determining factor for me.

Mark

Like I've stated elsewhere...IT IS NO SKIN OFF MY NOSE if anyone dies or is seriously injured using their tractor...Actually, it is, because my insurance premium for my farm will go up because of claims by people who operated in an unsafe manner and then were injured...similar to my home owners insurance going up, because people continue to build along the coastlines of the south and the canyons of CA...USAA has got to get those DOLLARS back from somewhere...:rolleyes:

I'm a believer in safety just because I've seen PLENTY of people killed and injured in my lifetime...and the real story isn't them...its their family and friends who actually seem to suffer MORE...:(

What frustrates me is when people try to JUSTIFY unsafe actions...

If you want to run a ROP-equiped tractor without a seatbelt...THEN JUST DON'T ADVERTISE IT...:rolleyes:

Could you imagine your insurance company refusing your injury claim, because during the DISCOVERY phase of your case...that it turned up a message where you advocated improper operation of your equipment!!!!:eek:

mobilus

Paul, maybe you missed the ORM perspective...

If not, then don't preach at me.

I wasn't telling you or anyone else what to do. Mith just asked a question and I gave an honest answer.

And no, I wasn't justifying an unsafe action. If a person is retarded enough to not have a "pucker factor", then maybe they shouldn't be doing anything with any risk whatsoever, be it operating a tractor or wiping their own ass. The rollover risk involved in operating a tractor on level ground is virtually nil. Unless the operator is an idiot.

I don't look for anyone but me to cover my own ass. I can take care of myself.

Does anyone actually use their seatbelt?

I was just reading an article that Paul C had posted on another site about safety.
I think we all know that we should be using a seatbelt with a ROPS, but how many of us actually do?

I'll admit, I dont think I have ever used a seatbelt on agricultral or industrial equipment (but have never been on the road). Why, I dont know.... Just havent got into the habit. Looking back there are instances when wearing one would have made my life easier, let alone safer. I had an excavator on a slope, and had my feet on the front of the FOPS to stop me sliding off the seat. Had I been wearing the seatbelt I wouldnt have been sliding out the seat.

Anyone admit to not wearing theirs, or anyone with stories how the belt saved them?
I really must get into the habit like it is in cars/trucks.

Mith...after you have to use hydraulics to raise the ROP of a forklift off the upper torso/head region of a soon to be declared DEAD OPERATOR and then have to leave everything in place while you wait for the VOSHA team to arrive and inspect the accident scene and finally to have to DECONTAMINATE all of the rescue equipment that had blood products, et cetera...Hopefully, you become a SAFETY CONSCIOUS individual...

The real insult was, VOSHA's findings were that if this man had had his seatbelt ON...he would have been alive at the end of the day with no more than a probable concussion and fractured arm...:(

On terms of buckling up...when we respond to a fire...everyone on board the engine is buckled up before we leave the station...those couple of seconds spent don't change the outcome of any rescue call but if there is an accident on the way to the call...IT HAS PROTECTED EVERYONE on that engine

It seems like a NO-BRAINER to BUCKLE UP...but actually it requires one to use one's BRAIN...:rolleyes:

ghautz

Since I installed the ROPS on my tractor I have always used the belt. I don't trust my pucker factor. Things can sometimes happen too fast to react.

grandpa

I do use my seatbelt. Had tractors for years that didn't have them and was always worried "what if?". I catch myself forgetting to put it on now and then, but when I am doing any work around terraces or slopes, or that involves a load that could shift, I make darn sure it is on. I don't move near as fast as I used to, and jumping from a tractor might kill me as well.

RoadKing

I never use my seatbelt in my truck but always use it on my tractor.
I'm posting a few pictures of my driveway,on e looking up one looking down, which is covered with 2 to 4 inches of ice from water runoff from the mountain behind my lot.

Attachments

• Driveway 1 (Medium).jpg
    Driveway 1 (Medium).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 236
  • driveway 2 (Medium).jpg
    driveway 2 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 232

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I Always use the seat belt in my car or truck. I worked a consulting job for DOD (Department of Defense) and you had to have on your seat belt to be allowed on base. Once used to it, it's not so bad. Heck now if I drive at all without the belt I feel naked. Weird feeling, but overall a good thing.

If I'm working with the tractor, my seat belt is on. If I'm just putting it away, then I will not have it on. Seat belts are there for a reason. I know of two people locally that were killed by their tractor due to not wearing their seat belt.

firejake

Working for the state in the fire service you have no choice. After awhile you feel naked without it on. I am glad my MF has one and I use it. Have seen too many people in my line of work damaged and whatever because of not using one! Be safe, Dennis:tiphat:

billfires

I generally use my seat belt but had an interesting job last fall where I had to remove the vertical exhaust stack as well as the ROPS (one piece, non folding). This job involved excavation around an existing inground swimming pool where the only access was through a garage with front and rear 7 foot high doors. I also had to remember to lower the backhoe when going through. The area was level but we had removed the concrete apron and the back corner was tight. While backing out arond that corner with a full bucket (lifted about 3 1/2 feet high due to an obstruction) I ended up on 3 wheels. My machine is a New Holland 1920 with an 68" wide front bucket and an 8 1/2 foot backhoe that weighs aprox. 5500 lbs. I don't know exactly how close I was to tipping over but I put the rear stabilizer down to get back on all 4 wheels. It is the closest I have been to a mishap and I hope never to repeat it. Bill C

Mark777

Welcome Bill, and may I say what an entrance! as safety is a concern for all of us :D!

I can relate to your story about being on three wheels...different circumstances but the same results while unloading a Case TLB off of a low boy. Very scary even with seatbelts and a ROPS and I can imagine in your situation, without belts and ROPS a fear factor greatly multiplied......

Mith

Doc, I get the naked feeling without my seatbelt in a car/truck, but I just haven't got the habit on machinery yet.
I guess the only way is to always wear it, even when just moving across the yard.

From reading stories like yours Paul I will be thinking about it, especially on slopes.

firejake

:tiphat: Billfires: I had a similar situation while placing small bolders on the edge of my garden which slope slightly. As I was dropping my fell with the rock almost in place a began to tip. I corrected the situation quickly putting the rock down and backing off. Wakes you up I tell ya! Glad I had my seatbelt on! Welcome to NTT! Be safe Dennis:wave:

SPYDERLK

If I'm working with the tractor, my seat belt is on. If I'm just putting it away, then I will not have it on. Seat belts are there for a reason. I know of two people locally that were killed by their tractor due to not wearing their seat belt.
It would be fair to the discussion to know how these people were killed. For all we know they dived of the low side under the ROPS. A seat belt would have saved them because they couldnt have unlatched it in time. But so would have huddling down and clamping onto the steering wheel. I have turned over one tractor - a small one - by mowing saplings sideslope and having one spring back as an upside wheel went over it. I stepped off on the low side and was untouched and unruffled. Since the speed was 0+ and the tractor didnt tumble it was a serendipitous ideal response. Had I stayed on the tractor my head would have whiplashed against the ground and perhaps impaled on a cut stob. Had I gone over the high side I had a MMM to deal with. Im seeing many on this thread expressing thankfulness that they were wearing their belt when the tractor went up on 3 wheels. Im thankful that their tractor didnt turn over, but I have no confidence that if it had gone over it would be the seat belt that saved them. Situations are different. Sometimes the seatbelt+ROPS will save you at cost of minor injury. Sometimes the ROPS alone is the superior choice. On a big wide tractor going slow, just holing up between the fenders and holding on should be good with or without the belt. But with the belt a tip that places a tree across your seat cushion is a death sentence. I think the absolute best choice is to keep your options open and to mentally rehearse them.:respect:
larry

Larry, both deaths were on industrial size machines. One was an operator for a earth working company, used the machine everyday, he was filling in a wide trench and the side caved in. He panicked and tried to get off of the tractor on the down hill side. He was killed instantly and the real sad thing was that the tractor never even went over, he could have just sat in the seat without his seat belt and been fine. But to me, if he had been belted in and not felt that he was going to be thrown from the tractor, well he would have been OK.

The other guy was a laborer moving a 580 I think it was driving down a rough dirt road to fast and was thrown from the tractor and killed. That happened less than a mile from our place.

Now in both cases carelessness was to blame, but if they had been wearing their seat belts, they would have lived.

As far as keeping options open, pretty hard to rush to put the ol belt on when you see that you need it in the next split second. Lots easier to get it off than to put it on. Just my opinion.