8n running issues

long_sj

i have an 8n that will start and run for 45 seconds then it dies. i feel like i have checked everything but problem persist ? Any help would be of great value since i use this to mow 45 acres.

urednecku

Fuel line stopped up some-where? dirty fuel filter? I'm not a mechanic, but sounds like not getting enough fuel to keep runnign.

Oh yea, welcome to the forum.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
It takes fire...fuel...air and it will run...asuming it is in time of course....I would start with air....and work from there....

long_sj

i have rebuilt the distributor , carburetor, and replaced points and condenser ,plugs and plug wires. i am leaning towards low fuel flow but don't know how to check it. i have removed the carb bowl drain and turned on fuel and gas flows freely out of carb drain ? is there a measure, or rate of flow i can use to test if engine is getting enough gas to run?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you have plenty of flow.

Since you're at the bottom of the carb via bowl, reach up from where the bowl would be and make sure the float moves freely. If it seems to get stuck or sticky in the up position, that shuts off the fuel giving you oh, about 45 seconds to burn up what's in the bowl.

sportsman

yes, check the fuel flo, and i have also had this happen to me on mine. when you put the sediment bowl back on you might have to put it on real loose then turn the fuel on and once the bowl fills up then tighten it, sometimes the air in it won't let the fuel in. and also make sure the gasket is on perfectly or it will block the fuel flo as well.

Sounds like your coil is breaking down and. I had that problem with the 8n I use to have. Wow, 45 acres with a 8n! I mowed 20 with the one I had once. My hats off to ya!

cj7

Did you get it fixed?

You might have dirt floating in your fuel tank that gets sucked against the outlet when running. Then it floats away once the suction (not running) is released allowing some fuel to reach the carb again.

Your symptom sounds more like a fuel issue to me.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If not fixed yet, try loosening the fuel cap, It could be an off chance that the vent in the cap is clogged.

wsmm

8n running problem

You may want to take your carburetor back of and remove the fuel bowl. Check to see if there is any rust paste in it. Will almost look like a fine light brown sand. If so clean out all of your carburetor passages again. Also check your fuel sediment bowl and see if there is any rust paste in there.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You may want to take your carburetor back of and remove the fuel bowl. Check to see if there is any rust paste in it. Will almost look like a fine light brown sand. If so clean out all of your carburetor passages again. Also check your fuel sediment bowl and see if there is any rust paste in there.
Good advice. I had to mess with the fuel sediment bowl more than I care to remember on my old 8N. Loved that tractor but had a heck of a time keeping it going. Spent more time tinkering than doing tractor work. :bonk: