rtv x1100c bogs down

dtreid

My rtv x1100c tends to bog down quite easily under full throttle. Is there an adjustment to have it bypass more easily so that the engine isn't put under overload so easily?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The RTV hydro trannys take some getting used to. IOW not intuitive. When you notice it starting to bog down let off a bit off the pedal and the engine will then pick up the slack.

dtreid

I took a brand new one for a drive to see how it compared. It acted like my rtv900. Full throttle and the engine pretty much stayed at max rpm no matter what you were doing as far as hills.

Lee1935

A hand throttle kit will let you keep the revs up and stop thar transmission from shifting to a higher gear ratio Takes some getting used to ☺ put it low or high range, pull the hand throttle out to Max and slowly push down on the footfeed

foxalaska

A hand throttle kit will let you keep the revs up and stop thar transmission from shifting to a higher gear ratio Takes some getting used to ☺ put it low or high range, pull the hand throttle out to Max and slowly push down on the footfeed
Certainly works for me. My hand throttle seems to have a detent at about 1/3 throttle. Not sure if by design or a stiff spot in the cable. I leave it in that position all the time except when starting. Makes for smoother operation at slow speeds. I'm thinking of installing a dash throttle control similar to aircraft. Holding the hand throttle wide open on hills is a bit of a pain in the butt.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holding the hand throttle wide open on hills is a bit of a pain in the butt.
Do you have the OEM hand throttle kit? Mine locks into place wherever I set it. Once set, you can also turn the knob and it'll gradually increase or decrease the RPM's depending on which way you turn it.

foxalaska

Do you have the OEM hand throttle kit? Mine locks into place wherever I set it. Once set, you can also turn the knob and it'll gradually increase or decrease the RPM's depending on which way you turn it.
Mine is OEM. 2015 1100c. It's just a simple pull knob. I'm going to install what you have(aircraft type) but thinking about somewhere on the dash. Not handy where it is by the diff lock cable.

Kanook

FoxAlaska...sounds like your hand throttle isn't working correctly. As Zoomie said it should lock at any position between idle and full throttle.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there is a limit to everything but if your controls are not adjusted correctly it will cause premature bogging down of the engine.

Lee1935

Be advised that this says it is for the RTV900. Don't know if it'll fit the 1100.

I would assume that most folks know how to contact customer service☺☺
the 1100s would have a longer cable. My X900 dealer cable had roughly 10 inches of extra length

Lee1935

Certainly works for me. My hand throttle seems to have a detent at about 1/3 throttle. Not sure if by design or a stiff spot in the cable. I leave it in that position all the time except when starting. Makes for smoother operation at slow speeds. I'm thinking of installing a dash throttle control similar to aircraft. Holding the hand throttle wide open on hills is a bit of a pain in the butt.

I've often thought that something similar to the old model A hand throttle
would be just just
right

Lee1935

I've often thought that something similar to the old model A hand throttle
would be just just right

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
FoxAlaska...sounds like your hand throttle isn't working correctly. As Zoomie said it should lock at any position between idle and full throttle.

Mines the same way it has a high idle detent. If you pull it farther it will spring back. I am thinking there is a spring somewhere that could just be removed so it will stay put.