How do you slip a brush hog clutch with the cover in place?

Meyerske

I have a land pride brush hog and it seems nearly impossible to properly slip the clutch with the cover/guard installed. Surely we don't have to remove the guard to slip the clutch, right? The access panel is so small it's nearly worthless. Any suggestions?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What do you mean by "slip the clutch"? Are you just wanting to confirm it slips appropriately?
I have a Land Pride RCR1260. Don't use it much but as I recall, I could test to confirm the clutch slips by either engaging the PTO too quickly or hitting something (scalping the ground or hitting something too big) and the clutch would slip.

Land Pride has all their manuals online if you need more details.
https://www.landpride.com/manuals-search

Meyerske

Per the manual, you are supposed to purposely slip the clutch periodically by loosening the clutch spring bolts and engaging the pto. This prevents the clutch from seizing (and no longer functioning).

What I'm finding is that lots of people don't know about this maintenance.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Per the manual, you are supposed to purposely slip the clutch periodically by loosening the clutch spring bolts and engaging the pto. This prevents the clutch from seizing (and no longer functioning).

I'll take a look at mine when I go out. I don't recall there being an issue of getting to the spring bolts.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I have a 5ft international brush hog. A manual did not come with it. I have never 'slipped the clutch', as you suggested I have never heard that it was needed. 18 years and still going strong. I would guess I use it 10 to 20 hours a year. This reminds me, time to change the gear oil. Thx.

Meyerske

I have a 5ft international brush hog. A manual did not come with it. I have never 'slipped the clutch', as you suggested I have never heard that it was needed. 18 years and still going strong. I would guess I use it 10 to 20 hours a year. This reminds me, time to change the gear oil. Thx.
The clutch probably is no longer functioning. It's effectivly a solid shaft with no shear pin. Don't hit a rock or stump.

Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Speaking of owners manual. Don't trust that tube to be watertight. Here's how I found my manual. :( Thankfully they have the manuals online.

Attachments

• 20200502_121747[1].jpg
    20200502_121747[1].jpg
    111 KB · Views: 22

Meyerske

This is the best pic I have of mine. I don't live where it is.
40eb5f1ae405feec1eaaa7e6a32f1d48.jpg

Meyerske

The instructions in the manual are easy. It does not mention the clutch cover/guard though.

Reminds me of the old Chilton's auto manuals. "Only 6 steps required. Step 1- Remove engine. Step 2-...." lol

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
I found it much easier if I disconnected the pto shaft from the mower and took it to the bench. Trying to work on it whie connected is a pain th the knees and back. Just removing and reattaching is enough of a pain!

Hope this helps

Fred