OEM vs aftermarket filters

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good quality filters are a necessity if a person wants their machine to last. I have a friend that had one of the once big time but now low end filters (starts with an f) ruin the engine on his weekend race car. It collapsed so blew the engine... if only for a few dollars more....

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
F-RAM filters had a good reputation back in the 1950s-60s... but they have been dutifully exposed to how cheap they are in recent decades. Several well-respected authorities have inspected, cut them open, compared to other brands, etc. and they have been proven to have ruined a number of engines due to collapse of media and failed cans. While Wally-World has a wide-variety of them... DON’T buy them.
The even less expensive SuperTech house-brand of Wally-World is made by Purolator and is a much better filter. This is not just my personal opinion. I came to this information after doing skeptical serious research.
Kubota filters are actually reasonably priced and are always safe. Other reliable and quality brands are NAPA, WIX, Luber-Finer, Puro, Purolator, Motorcraft. Good quality but overpriced are Mobil1 and Bosch. K&N promises higher performance without support by outside labs and are overpriced. (Their air filters are particularly worrisome as their higher performance comes at the cost of reduced filtration.)

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
some of the old farm tractors i grew up with had oil and fuel filters that were just a sock filled with rags. we would wash them in a can of gasoline squeeze them out and put them back in.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
some of the old farm tractors i grew up with had oil and fuel filters that were just a sock filled with rags. we would wash them in a can of gasoline squeeze them out and put them back in.

AND.... afterwards...they were a good cure for Athlete’s Foot! :yum: