2004 RTV900 4 wheel drive question

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I a bit out of my pay grade with these machines so let me ask for the experts advice.

I was grading dirt in 4 wheel dive and a couple of times I notice when pushing hard the back wheels would spin but no movement in the front.

Initially pulled the 4 wheel linkage of the trans to check adjustment and it was fine. Lever move in both directions and the linkage was correct at the end of travel in both 2 and 4 wheel drive.

Raised the unit on jack stands with all four wheels off the ground and started it in 4 wheel drive. The driveshaft turned as did all four wheels so everything appears to be connected. I could stop a front wheel with my foot but that could be just a function of the open driveshaft.

Check the front axle fluid and it's at the correct level and clear with good color.

Any thoughts on where I am or further testing I might do.

Thanks in advance.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Did you check the center fluid also? Its sorta hard to get to but I reached in from the front center (I didn't have a winch to get in the way though) and was able to check it that way.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
when you lock the front drive in you should have 50-50 front rear with no slip. could be not engaging or stripped splines on the input or output shafts? when you stop one wheel all you are doing is allowing the differential to do it's job.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks BC and Authuritis for the suggestions. It will be a few days before I can get back under it but I see I have a couple more things to look at.

I'll let you folks know what I find.

Greasy Kid

I'm having an issue with the four wheel drive engaging on my Kubota RTV 900 (2007) also. I believe it may be a linkage issue when I push the 4 wheel drive lever in there's absolutely no resistance. Seems to me that there should be some resistance when engaging. It feels to me like whatever is hooked up to the shift linkage back at the transmission is loose or broken the shifter moves in and out too smooth and with no resistance and the four wheel drive won't engage. Does anyone have a suggestion on what is going on? I will be thankful for any help!!!!! Avantiguy I was wondering what the linkage feels like when you engage yours?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I would check the linkage for slack and go from there. Maybe it just needs adjusting.

v10rick

Site Supporter
I'm having an issue with the four wheel drive engaging on my Kubota RTV 900 (2007) also. I believe it may be a linkage issue when I push the 4 wheel drive lever in there's absolutely no resistance. Seems to me that there should be some resistance when engaging. It feels to me like whatever is hooked up to the shift linkage back at the transmission is loose or broken the shifter moves in and out too smooth and with no resistance and the four wheel drive won't engage. Does anyone have a suggestion on what is going on? I will be thankful for any help!!!!! Avantiguy I was wondering what the linkage feels like when you engage yours?
It can be difficult to shift in and out of 4wd. What seems to work best...while parked with the engine running put pressure on the 4wd lever, while turning the steering wheel to full extremes. Maybe it was forced unnecessarily which broke the cable or transmission.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
What v10rick said is true about the shifting. Look on the dash near the shifter and see if there is a label describing the 4 wd shifting and/or shifting the transmission also. I sold my RTV 900 a couple of years ago but remember it having a sticker stating that. I was orange from 2005 until 2019. see this thread also and the link within it . https://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/threads/transmission-stuck-in-4wd.16023/#post-111405 I know you said that yours is "too easy" to shift so there is a post on the link within the link telling how a fellow checked his linkage at the transmission to see if the problem was internal or external. collie

Last edited:

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My linkage still feels normal - A fair amount of resistance - when I go between 2 and 4 wheel drive. The lever on the trans moves as it should. I disconnected the linkage and the trans lever doesn't move any further so it's not an adjustment issue. I still don't have 4 wheel drive and all the testing is making me afraid it's in the transmission. Everything moves as it should and just like it did prior to my issue. I plowed snow with it a couple times and it's fine for 6 inches or less of wet snow.
I looked over the parts manual and it has to be either a broken gear or and trans issue as there doesn't seem to be much else that can slip. I was hoping for a shear pin or something like that but so far - No Bueno

I forgot about it last fall (CRS) and just had to many other issues that distracted me so I'll take another look late in the week.

Hope you find the cause of your issue as it might give me a clue.

tobac

Is this an example that due to heavy pushing that the front wheels have extra ballast and have good traction. It could be transferring weight from rear to front. Hence rear will slip. You need rear wheel ballast ie fill with water or weights. Good luck

Reactions: Doc