Looking for fun UTV

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm selling the corvette that I traded my boat for. Guy from gas monkey garage (Richard) started to buy it right off but backed out. It was auto he wanted standard shift and the lt3 instead of lt1 engine ....
If you wanna see it go here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-C...6241982b6&item=301253362358&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Once I sell that I'm looking for a fun UTV. I've seen pics of some and they are just two seaters. We have groups around here that go on caravans with 15 or 20 or more utv's and spend the day riding. I wanna try that. I've been told the RTV is not quite right for this type of riding. Low clearance, heavy and ...kinda slow.

So we can use another vehicle to transport folks to and from our river lot, might as well make it a fun UTV.

I know we don't have much of a utv crowd here but I figure it's worth asking. What brands are best and why? Any particular features to look for etc etc. Spill yer guts. LOL JK.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Are you looking for a 2-seater or a crew cab? Not too many companies make a crew so that may limit your options.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
two seater would be fine by me. I've seen some of the four seater versions and they have such a long wheelbase, I'm afraid that would cause issues on parts of my trails. A neat little two seater would fit the bill for me.

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Doc,
My short list would be a Honda, Yamaha or Polaris.

Depending allot on dealer and price, both important.

Polaris makes a big range of good vehicles.

Honda my favorite.

Yamaha's Rhino old favorite and been around forever.

Size 700 cc and up seems to be minimum for a 2 seat vehicle.

Food for thought.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Spuds! :tiphat: And from the little I know I do think you are right on.
I have had Honda ATV's and they are awesome / bullet proof. I was told their UTV's do not share that trait. Plus the selection from Honda is very limited.
Yamaha has gone to the viking 3 seater. Nice but kinda wide for my trails. I have no experience with polaris. I knew a guy who had at polaris ATV and he had lots of problems with it. So I probably have not given Polaris a fair shake. My wife bro told me today that he had a Polaris till earlier this summer. Rock solid. He liked it but sold it and got a newer Can Am. A completely new brand to me. No clue where these guys came from. I hope to do some real shopping soon.

Think I sold the vette today. Find out tomorrow if his money sources worked out and then Sunday if he picks it up. He's seen pics but not driven the car yet. Fingers are crossed.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, dude did not show up to buy the vette. He got called into work, or so he said. He said he would call me today. No call. Oh well, I move on.
In the mean time I've been shopping and using my RTV. I'm leaning more to buying a 2nd RTV than a UTV.
Today I hauled gravel to parts of my trail. Just thinking a 2nd RTV (if I had it in the stable) could be loaded at the same time and take two of them back on the trails ...unload one and then the other. Two of us were doing the work then each would have a RTV to drive. Perfect. LOL ...so I've been looking at the offerings on Tractorhouse for RTV's too. Seems much more sensible than a UTV to me.

TRIBUTE100

Hey Doc, Check out my picture album with the Chevy truck bucket seats with self contained seat belts mounted in the bed. We've taken my 2010 RTV 900 on a couple of trail rides and it's worked out great. Not fast, but steady and sure. One place we went was:
http://www.windrockpark.com/

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I can't get into that link (it wants me to log in) but I remember you shared some of those pics here and I got the same idea from you. I'm planning to do the same thing with my RTV I just have to find a deal on bucket seats. I think that is an awesome way to haul a couple of extra folks in comfort. Thanks!!!!!! :tiphat:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - for an interim solution (or permanent for me), whenever I have people riding in the back, I take the cushions off the lawn furniture and lay them in the bed of the RTV. The longer ones work nice since you can run them up the bed towards the front so they're cushioned on their back.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Brian .... have done exactly that. And it works in a pinch or if I don't want to put in the buckets. The bucket seats seem safer for the a passenger on our up and down trails. They get rough at times.

DIXIEDOG

Rather than a second RTV why not go for a fun UTV that can work also....two fall squarely into that category. The Polaris Ranger and the Gator 825i both are very capable trail machines that will go places a RTV couldn't come close to but you can still get the power dump capability and the ability to move big loads. I went the Gator 825i route and haven't looked back, it's so much nicer on the trail than my RTV was....it has gobs of power and true 4WD rather than 3....I've taken it places that no UTV should go and it kept on going. I have friends that have quads and sport utvs (RZR's) and up until 40 mph they can't gain on me at all. We can all go through similar terrain and the comfort level of each is about the same. The Gator is a bit more $$ than a Ranger but the dealer was very close to me and JD is known to stand behind their equipment so I paid the extra for peace of mind. No complaints yet. :17875:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great info DixieDog. Very timely to for me. Thank You!!!! :tiphat:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well .....keep me in mind if you see any RTV900's, 1100's or 1140's for sale.
Last weekend I had the chance to drive a 2014 CamAm UTV. Very very nice. And probably what I would want if I was riding a lot of trails in groups at the UTV poker run parties. But after driving that, and getting in our RTV and driving it to show off our trails I found I like the RTV best.
Not saying I'm ruling anything out. I can't resist a GREAT deal if it comes my way but my focus is more RTV than anything else.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, looking is on hold ...but that would be a twin to my current RTV. :thumb: Anyway ...all on hold as I still have a 93 corvette for sale. Down to 5200 for the vette. Anyone interested? :yum: