Turbo or Not

I have had my RTV 900 since new. I live in hill country and have worked this little horse practically everywhere but sometimes have to resort to ingenuity to get some things done due to a lack of power in tight places.

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing and would not be without it. It is my WORKHORSE and MY Hunt Buddy also. I just wonder if a Turbo would be worth the investment. I really have had no Major troubles with this machine.

I have never had the Kubota people adjust any of the linkages and I just bought a Service Manual. On another sight a guy said having the linkages would make a Big difference in the way it performs.

Have any of you guys had any experience with this, either a Turbo or just Adjusting everything up to spec.

Thanks

Al

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Al,

What altitude are you at?

Personally, I'd start with the easy/cheap fixes first. As you noted, check your linkages first.

Then I'd probably look at the injector pump. I was going to do this myself but a good friend is a diesel mechanic so he was going to do it. He stopped into the Kubota dealer to get specs and such before starting and they told him they'll adjust everything to max efficiency for $200.

Last for me would be a turbo. For $2K or so, I'd want to make sure I really needed it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
1,500 or 15,000?

1,500 shouldn't need a turbo. I'm at 900-1200'. My hills are very steep. It goes up 300' of elevation in 1000' of distance but I mainly traverse the hill.

Do you have the hand throttle option? I find that's a huge help. Set that to about 1/2 throttle then just press the go pedal to about 1/2 way and you should be able to climb most anything.

I ordered a Hand Throttle Kit and a High Mount Air Cleaner Yesterday. The dealer told me to run the cleaner without the inner filter also. Just to keep the outer clean.

10-e-c-dirt

On a diesel pickup, I know from experience that a free flow intake and exhaust systems makes a world of difference, Wonder why no one makes it for the RTV??

OrangeBuggy

At 1500ft. I would say you are fine staying stock. I'm at 4000ft. and my x1100 ran just fine. I did turbo it so we can go to the mountains in NM. As a side benefit I do have more power running around here and that's fine with me. No troubles so far and I'm happy with it.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
At 1500ft. I would say you are fine staying stock. I'm at 4000ft. and my x1100 ran just fine. I did turbo it so we can go to the mountains in NM. As a side benefit I do have more power running around here and that's fine with me. No troubles so far and I'm happy with it.

Did you go with a kit or build yourself? How much boost? What exhaust temp did you see?

OrangeBuggy

Did you go with a kit or build yourself? How much boost? What exhaust temp did you see?

Kit from (www,Wiedmann Bros.com) for $2,300. Part #SF-KX110014. I believe it's 3#'s of boost. No pyrometer at this time, maybe later on. I do let it cool down for several minutes before I shut it down. By the way, I have seen this kit for $2,150 at other sites.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Kit from (www,Wiedmann Bros.com) for $2,300. Part #SF-KX110014. I believe it's 3#'s of boost. No pyrometer at this time, maybe later on. I do let it cool down for several minutes before I shut it down. By the way, I have seen this kit for $2,150 at other sites.

Thanks, I have been thinking about a turbo project this summer.

OrangeBuggy

Thanks, I have been thinking about a turbo project this summer.

I'm real happy with it. Hills that would slow you down to a craw around here, I can go up with some dignity now. It's no faster, but for a RTV, now it jumps off the line, if you can call it that. The trans and injector pump well need to be tweeted also.
Harry

Lee1935

I have had my RTV 900 since new. I live in hill country and have worked this little horse practically everywhere but sometimes have to resort to ingenuity to get some things done due to a lack of power in tight places.

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing and would not be without it. It is my WORKHORSE and MY Hunt Buddy also. I just wonder if a Turbo would be worth the investment. I really have had no Major troubles with this machine.

I have never had the Kubota people adjust any of the linkages and I just bought a Service Manual. On another sight a guy said having the linkages would make a Big difference in the way it performs.

Have any of you guys had any experience with this, either a Turbo or just Adjusting everything up to spec.

Thanks

Al

I thought seriously about a turbo for my X900 as I use it in steep Mts in BC. (Work not play) added the hand throttle kit, no more thoughts about a turbo:boobies: PS always go straight up or down☺

HBTexas

Gold Site Supporter
I have seriously debated the Turbo for my X1100 RTV . I cant make up my mind,
We have property at 9000' in Colorado , Have not taken my RTV up to the property Yet.. But planning to.
A couple of things concern me about the Turbo are.
1. Its going to increase the intake air temp .."
2. Oil.,. They have that oil line, That must steal oil from the engine that could have been used elsewhere,.
That concerns me the most.

But may be no other way to climb the huge hill on our property.
I can see me getting to the bottom and needing the winch to get back up top .

Reactions: Doc