What is the biggest thing you've towed/drug

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What is the biggest / heaviest thing you've either towed or drug with your tractor?
I've pulled my 6000 pound boat trailer (piece of cake), probably the biggest thing without wheels would be a ornamental tree. I pulled it up by the roots, and drug it to a burn pile. But the tractor barely strained. My box blade can put a strain on the tractor, but that's just how it works ....so I don't count that.

Mark777

Me too. I mean trees.

We had two large pines well over 60' infested with pine bark beetle. After cutting them down, I cut both in three 20+' sections. The first two sections weren't bad at all, but the last section had the base at 24"...and it was all the tractor could do to skid it a couple hundred feet to the saw pile.

The tractor huffed and puffed and what I should have done was cut the last section of the 20' base into two more halves.

B

bczoom

I don't recall what the heaviest rolling (on tires) load is.

Using the 3PH to lift them, I've hauled rocks that were a bit too big. It was one of those cases where you use the FEL to lift the front of the tractor off the ground then lift the 3PH arms to "try" and lift the rock. The rock was still on the ground but the 3PH arms are now higher due to the front of the tractor being off the ground. Once I raised the FEL, the front tires of the tractor didn't come back down. I put weight in the bucket until it started lowering. I then drove (with the front tires still mainly in the air) and had to use the individual rear brakes for steering.

I've also done about the same with loads in the FEL. The load was so heavy that the front rims were pretty much touching ground (even with the tires over inflated). I was actually able to lift the rear of the tractor off the ground by me just lifting the rear drawbar.

jwstewar

Staff member
Two Full size Chevy Trucks and an 8x16 shed - all at the same time. Lets see those Kioti guys top my little New Holland.:mrgreen:

Attachments

• MVC-071F.jpg
    MVC-071F.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 458
  • MVC-072F.jpg
    MVC-072F.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 369
  • MVC-073F.jpg
    MVC-073F.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 465
  • MVC-074F.jpg
    MVC-074F.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 411
  • MVC-075F.jpg
    MVC-075F.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 412

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
:eek: So Jim basically you have a Ford (New Holland), towing 2 chevys and a building. :eek: How embarrassing for us Chevy guys!!!!! :eek:

jwstewar

Staff member
Doc,

Now I liked you up until now.:bash: DON'T CALL MY TRACTOR THE F WORD.:bangin: I don't like Fords and wouldn't look at a New Holland tractor for a long time because of it. Then I got mad (OK, not mad but didn't like their sales tactic) at the one Kubota dealer I was at. We left there and were heading to Monica's parents' house in Jackson and I said lets go drive a New Holland down at Crosses where your Uncle works. Low and behold, I fell in love with the tractor and haven't looked back.:mrgreen:

PBinWA

Probably an overloaded trailer full of wet horse sh*t. The tires on the trailer were bulging and I had to tow it up hill for 1/4 mile.

The tractor was in a low gear and working hard but it made it.

Mith

Rolling load would be a trailer load of concrete slabs. It was a flatbed trailer and I stacked them maybe a little on the high side. Bent the tongue of the trailer it was so heavy. I gave it a load of tongue weight so I didn't lose traction.

Dragging would be a stump I dug out with an excavator. I couldnt pull it normally, had to pull one side forwards, then the other, sort of twisting it side to side, took ages to move, but I got it done.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
100_0558.jpg

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Used to pull my 5000 lb camper around with my little YM1700 Yanmar on a 3 point drawbar. REAL SLOW................

jwstewar

Staff member
He ain't telling you the the trucks were idling and in gear ................ :mrgreen:

No, the trucks weren't idling and in gear. They were in low range 4x4 in first gear redlined both spinning all 4 tires. :bb: Couldn't get the damn shed to move. No combination other than all 3 would move it. We were just trying to drag it on the 4x4 runners it was on, didn't try using any pipers or anything underneath. It was interesting when we had to turn. Tractor was also low range 4x4 about mid-way on the hydro. It was the only thing not spinning. It was controlling the speed. Good thing nothing broke otherwise those 2 Chevys would've run over me and the New Holland and would've kept on going.

jwstewar

Staff member
OK, I had fun with my first post in this thread, now I'll give a more legitimate answer.

Does this count as big? I need to mow beside the garage and under the camper. Also wanted to move my implements out from between the two that I "trapped" there when I parked the camper. I move it probably 100 - 150' and then backed it to where it was albeit a little closer to the garage.

For a little more info on the camper and how we are remodeling it see this thread over at Forums: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=10369

Attachments

• 100_2335.jpg
    100_2335.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_2336.jpg
    100_2336.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 477

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No wonder it looked big inside in your other post over on ForumsForums. WOW. It's a big un. :D

I'll be towing our houseboat out of the water for the 1st time later this year. It's estimated to be somewhere between 30k and 32k. I doubt I ever know for sure. It will be a short tow to the shed on the yacht club property. The boat is way to big to tow on the road. It would have to be put on an 18 wheeler and have 'wide load' signs. We have a mobile home 'tote-er' that we use to pull out all the houseboats. This will be my first year at it, so I hope to have plenty of help from the other members there.

Mith

This certainly isn't the heaviest thing, but the bulkiest for sure.
Ended up moving it down a fairly steep slope and under a tree. Required a bit of brute force and a saw to get it under the tree. Certainly much quicker than dis-assembling and re-assembling.
It was a little hairy on the hills, and it bent the trailer, but much easier :D

Attachments

• DSCF0829 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0829 (Small).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 420

Grrrr

For me the heaviest and most unstoppable thing would probably be a 12 tonne silage trailer pulled by a Deere 6410

This photo was from a silaging job this year with the contractor I work for a bit. That trailer is really heavy when it is filled up, you can feel the weight surging forward when you touch the brakes. I could have done with a bigger tractor, not to pull it but to stop it on hills.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yesterday we used a mobile home 'toter' to tow my houseboat out of the water. 16 tons or 32,000 pounds. :eek: The creaking noises were scary but the toter pulled it up the ramp okay and got her put into a shed at the boat club. Whew. I was dreading that.
This is my first year with this boat. It's a 20 year old Gibson. Nice boat, but glad it only has to be put in and taken out ONCE a year.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• DSCF0030r.JPG
    DSCF0030r.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 461

jbrumberg

Why drag it if you can lift and carry it :smartass:. I did not take a picture of me dragging my Honda CRX Si with locked up brakes to another location. I did tear up the lawn a little bit :rolleyes: Jay

Attachments

• DSC00637 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00637 (Medium).JPG
    129 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC00609 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00609 (Medium).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 421