Road grading

Thought that I would post a few pictures of grading our road that is shared with 3 neighbors. I use my Road Boss Grader when the ground is a little damp so that the loose, redistributed dirt re-packs better.:thumb:

Attachments

• PC290003.JPG
    PC290003.JPG
    385.2 KB · Views: 3,852
  • PC290001.JPG
    PC290001.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 15,098
  • PC290002.JPG
    PC290002.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 23,780
  • PC290004.JPG
    PC290004.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,410
  • PC290005.JPG
    PC290005.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 8,819
  • PC290006.JPG
    PC290006.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 4,450
  • PC290007.JPG
    PC290007.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 3,306

Archdean

You have got to be the hero of the day for the other two neighbors (at least their wives must think so) ....

Dougster

Old Member
You have got to be the hero of the day for the other two neighbors (at least their wives must think so) ....
Well, one of Brian's neighbors is Michael Jackson. I'm not sure he still has a wife! ;)

Seriously Brian, that is WAY cool. :thumb: Thanks for the pix!!! :wave:

Dougster

Yes, the neighbors do like it when I grade the road. It is smooth as glass when I get done and usually stays like that about 2-3 weeks before the wash boarding starts. I try to grade every 2-3 months, don't want to spoil the neighbors to much.:mrgreen: After I graded our road for the first time with the 7520, neighbors never have come out to grade again. I guess that they figure that I'll get to it when I have time and they don't want to mess up a good thing.;) :respect:

Archdean

""I graded our road for the first time with the 7520, neighbors never have come out to grade again. I guess that they figure that I'll get to it when I have time and they don't want to mess up a good thing.;) :respect:
__________________""

Yeah right/OK/alrighty then~ . 15 years ago I made the same tactical error.. result, the road the grass the fields the downed trees the weeds and etc.I guess are all mine now!! :waiting: for a gallon of diesel or at least a thank you!!

""I graded our road for the first time with the 7520, neighbors never have come out to grade again. I guess that they figure that I'll get to it when I have time and they don't want to mess up a good thing.;) :respect:
__________________""

Yeah right/OK/alrighty then~ . 15 years ago I made the same tactical error.. result, the road the grass the fields the downed trees the weeds and etc.I guess are all mine now!! :waiting: for a gallon of diesel or at least a thank you!!

Well, my immediate neighbor is one of the local sheriff's and he has thanked me a couple of times. He is on call 24/7 and hates the wash boarding. Says that it is hard on his vehicles, It most likely wouldn't be so hard on them if he would slow down a bit. As far as the other neighbors, not one word. I'm still:waiting:also, and I'm not holding my breath.:whistle:

Dougster

Old Member
Well, my immediate neighbor is one of the local sheriff's and he has thanked me a couple of times. He is on call 24/7 and hates the wash boarding. Says that it is hard on his vehicles, It most likely wouldn't be so hard on them if he would slow down a bit. As far as the other neighbors, not one word. I'm still:waiting:also, and I'm not holding my breath.:whistle:
It's like my snowplowing clients when they are getting those free clean-up pushes! :eek:

They think you are just out there having fun. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Bindian

Brian,
Those are some awesome photos and views too. How much does one of those Road Boss's cost?
hugs, Brandi

Brian

We have about 1-1/2 miles of private community road. I have the same problem no diesel no thank you even had one complain, that I was taking the crown out of the road. NO MORE.....:moon3:

xPosTech

I try to grade every 2-3 months, don't want to spoil the neighbors to much.:mrgreen: After I graded our road for the first time with the 7520, neighbors never have come out to grade again. I guess that they figure that I'll get to it when I have time and they don't want to mess up a good thing.;) :respect:

Hi Brian

Maybe it's because they don't want to mess up a good road.:applause:

I've seen the DR TV ads for their little grader. Yours looks as if it has has a little more meat to it.:thumb:

I'm convinced that washboarding is caused by worn out shocks plus the speed. Once it starts, it snowballs (dirtballs?)

Washboard will also wear out a set of shocks pretty quickly, too. The best vehicle for driving on washboard is a '50 Chevy Salesman's Coupe. They were designed for washboard.:tiphat:

Ted

Attachments

• 50b1.jpg
    50b1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,435

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rep points for Brian. Awesome pics / post. :thumb:

I wonder how well that grader would work on a road with large rocks beneath the soil?
How does it compare to a box blade. The finish sure looks smoother, but I was wondering what the grader looks like without the dirt in there. What makes it work like it does?
Nice job. It's a shame but some neighbors just think it's owed to them. :hide:

Brian,
Those are some awesome photos and views too. How much does one of those Road Boss's cost?
hugs, Brandi

Hi Brandi, thanks for the compliments. I paid $1400, but that was from a local dealer who had a bunch of them from over 10 years ago.:eek: I think that they are over $2600 now.

Rep points for Brian. Awesome pics / post. :thumb:

I wonder how well that grader would work on a road with large rocks beneath the soil?
How does it compare to a box blade. The finish sure looks smoother, but I was wondering what the grader looks like without the dirt in there. What makes it work like it does?
Nice job. It's a shame but some neighbors just think it's owed to them. :hide:

Doc, I'm :sorry: that I didn't get back to you this morning, just ran out of time. As far as grading with large rocks just below or at the surface, my guess is that it would work as good or better than any other blade. As far as to compare it to how well it works compared to a box blade. There is not much of a comparison there. I have a Gannon roll-over box blade that weighs about 1000lbs, a rear blade that weighs about 800lbs and a land scape rake. All of these implements get used on this same road. Depends on the circumstances and what needs to be accomplished. But if I could only use one of these implements to work the road, it would be the Road Boss hands down. None of the others smooth as well or as fast as the Road Boss Grader.

My grader is an older version, it does not have the serrated front blade and the sides are a bit longer than the newer ones. Here's a link to the Road Boss website. http://www.roadboss.org/

Brian,
It is 8 foot wide right? Do you think it would work okay for leveling yards and such? How does that work with your TNT? Does your TNT have a float mode?
hugs, Brandi

Brandi, the cutting width is 7 foot, it is 90" wide overall. It is great to level and smooth out just about any where that it will fit. You should know that we have float modes with our rear remotes, or at least I do. But it does not work well with the top link in float mode.:badidea: The rear picks up and so the front blade does all the cutting and the rear blade is up in the air doing nothing. This act would also hinder the distribution of the material that you are grading. If you are interested in one of these, I think that the guys that I got mine from still have one of my size (7') $1400 and a 5' er @ $900. Oh, to be honest with you, I doubt that my tractor (12,000lbs) would pull an 8 footer very well. There have been some guys on TBN that have got 8 footers and say how good that they worked, but I have my doubts. They had 6000lb tractors and that is just not enough weight to be pulling an 8 foot grader blade. It sure wouldn't work here anyway.:forgetit:

shinnlinger

I like that road boss as it has no moving parts..I might have to whip up a front scarifier blade to throw on my grader rig.

At the moment mine consists of a woose boy Woods back blade that I put wheels on (see my snow removal rig in another post) and I have some side pans I made up that bolt to the side to form a box. Behind this I pull a big rolling water tank to compact everything in one pass, and you are right...you are wasting your time if it is not damp. I light rain is perfect.

I am thinking of a rock rake/rock picker design for the front bucket made out of leaf springs that I could also use as the serated blade and then maybe weld a hunk of railroad track to the top of the back blade for weight to help my existing setup, but a serated blade running at an angle in the box might be a little slicker...

As for neighbors, I would talk to them. Put a sign on the road that asks if they like your grading and your phone number and see what happens.

See if some kind or arrangment/schedule/compensation/ can be reached....What do you have to lose? It doesn't sound like there is much conversation going on in the first place and it sounds like resenment is growing. Worse case scenerio is they say F off and then you are back at square one. At least you tried.

The flip side is you might get some paid work out of it or at least some appreciative neighbors that know who to be appreciative to, and you never can tell when that might pay off.

As for neighbors, I would talk to them. Put a sign on the road that asks if they like your grading and your phone number and see what happens.

See if some kind or arrangment/schedule/compensation/ can be reached....What do you have to lose? It doesn't sound like there is much conversation going on in the first place and it sounds like resenment is growing. Worse case scenerio is they say F off and then you are back at square one. At least you tried.

The flip side is you might get some paid work out of it or at least some appreciative neighbors that know who to be appreciative to, and you never can tell when that might pay off.

Out at our place, pretty much everybody stays to themselves, that's why they moved out here. Sort of strange actually, out in the country you would expect to see people outside, not here, you drive around all the dirt roads and hardly see anyone if you do see anyone at all. By the way, the only paved road is the main road through town. As far as resentment, I don't really care if anybody says anything at this time. Not to say that things won't change, but as of now it makes no difference to me. And I don't want any more work, I have enough to do now.

Dougster

Old Member
Out at our place, pretty much everybody stays to themselves, that's why they moved out here. Sort of strange actually, out in the country you would expect to see people outside, not here, you drive around all the dirt roads and hardly see anyone if you do see anyone at all.
Might that have something to do with that big gun you carry on your hip??? ;) Is it a .44 Magnum... or just a .357??? :rolleyes:

Or an I confusing California with Texas again??? :mrgreen:

Dougster