Another Forks Project.

N

Nicahawk

I just got around to taking some pictures of the forks I built last summer.

Attachments

• Forks being attached (940 x 626).jpg
    Forks being attached (940 x 626).jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Forks bottom (940 x 626).jpg
    Forks bottom (940 x 626).jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 248
  • Forks on (940 x 626).jpg
    Forks on (940 x 626).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Forks in use (940 x 626).jpg
    Forks in use (940 x 626).jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 252

Dougster

Old Member
Very nicely done! :thumb: I love the lateral bracing, the nicely shaped ends and the whole attachment method. If they sold add-on forks built this well, I'd probably own a set! :)

Dougster

mobilus

Nicahawk,

What do you do with the donkeys?

My dad got a few several years ago, and now he has about a dozen and can't give them away. :yum: Out here in Texas, people use them to guard goat herds...only caveat is that you can only have one with a goat herd, because they'll herd together, separate from the goats if you have more than one.

I worked up some forks for my bucket, but I never found a good setup and a friend found me a pair of real tines atthe place he works. Now I need to build the carrier to replace the bucket.

Good job. :starbucks:

Mark

N

Nicahawk

Follow up....

These were made of 4" x 1-1/2" rec tubing x 1/4" thick. I bolt them on with gd 8, 5/8" bolts thru a 3" x 1/2" piece of flat stock on the bottom of the bucket for strength. Granted they are heavy but hell for stout. The will take anything the loader can lift. I leave them on most of the time because I use my new Kuboda for about everything else. I will start a new post in the morning with my boom pole.

irwin

My next attachment project or purchase needs to be brush forks! Those look pretty good to me Nickahawk.:tiphat:

Heres the biggest of 5 brush piles, it's about 8 foot tall, haven't measured it though.:pat: they all need to be moved.

shinnlinger

NIca,

Those are slick, do you only haul manure/brush with them? I would think they are a bit wide for pallet/lumber handling.

Are your bolts covered with poo when you are done?

I am thinking of somthing similar, but since I already have my carry all forks (prevois thread) I am thinking of something more manure/brush specific using leave springs that I hook on the lip like you did (do you you feel your setup puts to much pressure on the lip?) but run it under the bucket and chain bind it up around the back. THis way I avoid having to remove bolts full of poo.

Mobilus,

Look at setting your forks in your bucket, Easier to rig, and having the bucket on actually enables you to still carry small items like tools. My buddy has a slick QA set of forks and he actually drives his truck to a site with his chainsaw in the back and then rides his bicycle back to get his tractor because he cant carry tools on his forks(I know a box strapped to a pallet would work to) but then you cant fork anything also.

Construction rigs have forks that mount on the top of the bucket that flip up and down when needed.

Dougster,

If you brought that photo into a local welder, he would whip you one up in no time.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, If you brought that photo into a local welder, he would whip you one up in no time.
Depends which local welder we are talking about. Welder A tried to put his kids through college on one (comprehensive bucket reinforcement) project that I brought to him. It ended up being cheaper for me to buy a brand new HD KMW bucket instead. Welder B (a.k.a., the "old man") is far more reasonable in cost... but he won't make stuff. He will only weld up relatively small stuff that you bring to him. He is cheaper, but not exactly user friendly.

My best bet would probably be a nearby steel fab shop if I can catch them between contracts when they are not too busy. We've talked about some custom FEL attachment work before and they seemed interested... but the cost savings over the Bradco offering would not be great.

The *real* solution is for me to (re-) learn welding for myself!!! :rolleyes:

Dougster

mobilus

Nica,

Here's a picture of my boom pole. I used 2 1/2" OD square tubing with 1/4" wall for mine. Put a piece of 2" OD 1/4" wall in the end to make it fit a receiver that mounts on top of the bucket. I put legs on it to use the support of the bottom of the bucket.

I have it on the tractor now. I'll take some better pictures of it. The only thing I want to add is a couple of pieces of chain to the chain hooks on the top of the bucket for additional support.:rolleyes:

Mark

Attachments

• DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00338.JPG
    DSC00338.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00538.JPG
    DSC00538.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 224
N

Nicahawk

Pooey Bolts!

NIca,

Those are slick, do you only haul manure/brush with them? I would think they are a bit wide for pallet/lumber handling.

Are your bolts covered with poo when you are done?

I am thinking of somthing similar, but since I already have my carry all forks (prevois thread) I am thinking of something more manure/brush specific using leave springs that I hook on the lip like you did (do you you feel your setup puts to much pressure on the lip?) but run it under the bucket and chain bind it up around the back. THis way I avoid having to remove bolts full of poo.

Mobilus,

Look at setting your forks in your bucket, Easier to rig, and having the bucket on actually enables you to still carry small items like tools. My buddy has a slick QA set of forks and he actually drives his truck to a site with his chainsaw in the back and then rides his bicycle back to get his tractor because he cant carry tools on his forks(I know a box strapped to a pallet would work to) but then you cant fork anything also.

Construction rigs have forks that mount on the top of the bucket that flip up and down when needed.

Dougster,

If you brought that photo into a local welder, he would whip you one up in no time.

Yes the bolts are covered with donkey poo when I'm restacking feed bales or moving them around, as well as the tires, my boots, etc....go figure. But like I said I very seldem take them off because I use my new Kubota for every thing else. I have used these to remove old foundations, they do fit pallets, (two forks on either side), unload full pallets of stacked flagstone, push, lift, and position 2,000# feed bails, lift my trailers up for tire changes, and so on. They are strong enough to lift the back wheels of the ground, which you don't want to do more than once.
icon10.gif
I welded a new front lip on a while back and haven't noticed any distortion or movement when using. The old green machines had a bunch of steel in them including the buckets.!

N

Nicahawk

Boom Poles

Nica,

Here's a picture of my boom pole. I used 2 1/2" OD square tubing with 1/4" wall for mine. Put a piece of 2" OD 1/4" wall in the end to make it fit a receiver that mounts on top of the bucket. I put legs on it to use the support of the bottom of the bucket.

I have it on the tractor now. I'll take some better pictures of it. The only thing I want to add is a couple of pieces of chain to the chain hooks on the top of the bucket for additional support.:rolleyes:

Mark
That looks good. I'll post pictures of mine tomorrow. The chains are the way to go for maximum strength.
Nic

shinnlinger

Dougster,

I bet a community college near you has a 6 week twice a week evening welding class for you for $500. You can even build your forks for yourself while taking the class and justify the cost right there.

Mobilus,

I never thought I needed a boom pole, untill now. THanks for sharing..I bet I will make one sometime soon.

Dougster

Old Member
Dougster, I bet a community college near you has a 6 week twice a week evening welding class for you for $500. You can even build your forks for yourself while taking the class and justify the cost right there.
The local course is 10 Monday nights (total of 30 hours) starting Jan 28th and costs $275... but it is for stick welding only. No MIG. I am debating it, but with bills backing up faster than I can even count them and money insanely tight right now... this may be a luxury I simply cannot afford.

Dougster

The local course is 10 Monday nights (total of 30 hours) starting Jan 28th and costs $275... but it is for stick welding only. No MIG. I am debating it, but with bills backing up faster than I can even count them and money insanely tight right now... this may be a luxury I simply cannot afford.

Dougster

Doug, stick welding is harder to get the hang of than MIG. I think that taking the stick course would be a good idea. Once you learn the methods and technique, MIG is a piece of cake. I also wouldn't be surprised if you had access to a MIG machine for at least a class or too.
As far as being a luxury are you kidding me. Welding is a skill. Once you get good at it you can charge ridiclous rates to guys like you that need a bucket reinforced.

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, stick welding is harder to get the hang of than MIG. I think that taking the stick course would be a good idea. Once you learn the methods and technique, MIG is a piece of cake. I also wouldn't be surprised if you had access to a MIG machine for at least a class or too. As far as being a luxury are you kidding me. Welding is a skill. Once you get good at it you can charge ridiclous rates to guys like you that need a bucket reinforced.
The course decription includes the following footnote: "Limited MIG or Flux core basics available, ask when registering." :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that footnote is worth $275.00 at this point in time. :eek:

Dougster

shinnlinger

Well maybe next time,

but $275 to make youself a set of forks is cheap...and I agree with civenwhoo...If you learn the basics of good welding technique and learn to stich with a buzz box you are coming out ahead at only $275. HOw much extra did the Mahindra dealer charge to weld those hooks on your bucket?

After learning to stick, If you can run a hot glue gun you can mig, and beleive it or not, stick welding has better penetration and is more suitable for tractor type welding than anything else and best of all you can pick up an old buzz box for peanuts, just check craigs list.

Dougster

Old Member
Well maybe next time, but $275 to make youself a set of forks is cheap...and I agree with civenwhoo...If you learn the basics of good welding technique and learn to stich with a buzz box you are coming out ahead at only $275. HOw much extra did the Mahindra dealer charge to weld those hooks on your bucket?

After learning to stick, If you can run a hot glue gun you can mig, and beleive it or not, stick welding has better penetration and is more suitable for tractor type welding than anything else and best of all you can pick up an old buzz box for peanuts, just check craigs list.
Well... a couple of facts that may not make any sense to you ('cause they don't even make sense to me!): I already own a stick welder. It's a brand new Lincoln tombstone. Plus, I have two professional welders available to me for training or actual fab work in the form of my GF's two brothers. But the story gets kinda complicated and squirrelly at this point... I will spare you the messy details... and, for now, the Lincoln stick welder just sits there in its unopened box waiting to be resold in favor of a MIG welder. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Well... a couple of facts that may not make any sense to you ('cause they don't even make sense to me!): I already own a stick welder. It's a brand new Lincoln tombstone. Plus, I have two professional welders available to me for training or actual fab work in the form of my GF's two brothers. But the story gets kinda complicated and squirrelly at this point... I will spare you the messy details... and, for now, the Lincoln stick welder just sits there in its unopened box waiting to be resold in favor of a MIG welder. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Doug, while I know that you want that mig and it is nice to have a tig and acetylene as well,:D for your needs, (tractor biz) your stick welder makes the most sense. I know, I know that is not what you want to hear, but I'm pretty sure that it is the truth of the matter. Now go have a :starbucks: on me and get ready to plow that :snow: that's going to fall next week.:thumb:

shinnlinger

DOug,

YOu have a tombstone at your house right now? I loved mine and actually miss it. It really is a fine machine for tractor work. This aint rocket science, you can do it! Go get some AC6011 rod and some scrap and give it a go. Forget the welders you know, that is calling in to many favors, go on line or get a book read the first three pages and then GO STICK METAL!

still sitting there?

GET YOU BUTT OUT IN THE GARAGE RIGHT NOW!!!

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, while I know that you want that mig and it is nice to have a tig and acetylene as well,:D for your needs, (tractor biz) your stick welder makes the most sense. I know, I know that is not what you want to hear, but I'm pretty sure that it is the truth of the matter. Now go have a :starbucks: on me and get ready to plow that :snow: that's going to fall next week.:thumb:
Well, I think you know that this is a topic on which I have been going 'round and 'round for 13 months now. I bought the stick welder on what I considered expert advice that this was the correct welder for me and my needs. I had no sooner bought the dang thing when I was told exactly the opposite by equally qualified & trusted people: Namely, that a MIG welder would be much better for all of my needs AND be far easier to use. This was reinforced rather significantly in my mind when BOTH of my local big-dollar professional welder folks under consideration to do this work told me they would be using their MIG welders to execute my proposed projects. :eek: Son of a B$@%#!!! :rolleyes:

Going back rather peeved to my original "advisers"... they conceded that a MIG welder would probably be better than the stick welder for me and MOST of my applications. Thanks for nuthin' guys! :rolleyes:

And now are you ready for this??? Yesterday, I talked with yet another retired welder who absolutely insisted that the stick welder was the only way to fly. My head is still spinning from that conversation. :pat: I keep wondering: Am I on Candid Camera here??? :confused:

So here I sit in welding freakin' gridlock... unable to afford the $1,000+ MIG welder I want... but also unable to afford the lessons that would get me to the point where I'd feel confident attacking my projects with the Lincoln tombstone stick welder I'd bought. :(

That's where it sits today. Thank God Almighty that I've now got the CAT bucket and I can do everything I want with it... no mods or reinforcements required. The pressure is off (temporarily) for the badly needed mods to the other two KMW buckets. But other projects are waiting as well.

Dougster

p.s., a note to all: I joke about it so folks don't take me too seriously... and I understand that... but the old Dougster is hurtin' bad right now in the cash flow area. Medical, dental and other winter/year-end bills are crushing me. Things should improve by March or April when I make one grand, all-or-nuthin' "last gasp" effort to fund my pitiful little business for one last digging season. I will re-address the welding needs issue at that time to the best of my ability... but please give the old Dougster a little breathing room on this one topic for now. Thanks! -d

mobilus

I have a Lincoln tombstone, AC only, and though at times I wish for the MIG occasionally, I couldn't live without my tombstone (that sounds weird, doesn't it). I have built countless projects, from simple stuff on up to equipment trailers, and I too believe that if someone only has one welder, it should be a stick welder. With enough practice, you can weld anything from sheet metal on up. Read books, internet sources, and talk with your friends that weld...you'd be surprised how much knowledge you'll gain. But, like that teenage boy out on his first hot and heavy date, you may think you know how, but you'll lack the finesse required. Practice. No one learned any different...and when you pay that $275 for the class, you'll be doing the same thing. Weld some scrap iron together and see if you can beat it apart. When you can't, you'll be onto something.

Best of luck!:starbucks:

Mark