Speed loss on X900

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have noticed a loss of uphill power with my X900 and it is not related to fuel filter, pump, etc. I have 9,000 miles on the machine. I installed a hand throttle which helps when plowing. I am very familiar with how to "down shift" with the hydrostatic transmission by easing off on the pedal and this still works fine. It is just a bit more sluggish on hills. I ran across this video while searching for ideas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz6Rb9wBwf8
I've been kicking this around for a year and today I decided to give it a try. It is quite amazing what 3/4 of a turn did! I believe this hollow threaded rod is a micro adjustment for fuel delivery to the fuel rail. Tomorrow I will give it more of a test, but after today's adjustment it seemed to be an amazing change. I was testing it on a hill with 6 inches of new snow and I didn't have to "play" with the pedal to continue on.
Has anyone done this? This is easy to do - the most difficult thing was taking the anti-tamper cover off!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yes sir. when KTC needed to meet epa i think they just turned down the fuel a bit. actually i am really glad they did it this way so i can just adjust it myself. screw it out a bit until you can just barely see some smoke then back in until smoke just begins to clear and you should have all the fuel the little engine can use. smoke is just wasting fuel and adding carbon to your piston crowns.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
how did you remove the tamper proof sleeve?

That was the hardest part! The cap as two opposing slots cut in it where it acts as a crimp that prevents it from pulling off. After trying to pry if off I I ended up squeezing it with vise grips and distorting the crimp enough to be able to pull it off.
I did not open the adjustment up til I got smoke - perhaps I'll play with it some more and open it up some more to see what more I can get from the machine. Right now I can accelerate on some of my hills where I couldn't before. ?. It is a work vehicle so I am not hung-up on speed. I just hate to see the machine labor. Very nice today hauling a load of fire wood. It will help next winter when I put the plow back on!

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
As I said I am not too concerned about speed as I am power to keep the momentum going up a hill - When the machine was new (1,500 hours ago) it wasn't too bad, but now that I have made this adjustment it is "like new" or even better. Here is a picture of the anti-tamper sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 66

TRIBUTE100

I'm going to give that try on my 2010 RTV 900. Access to that adjustment on mine is not as easy as shown in that video on a 900X. I would have to remove the bench seat, then pull off that entire panel which goes from the back of the seats and all the way down to the floor. I'm just going to cut an opening in the passenger side tray indention under the seat for access. then I'll just patch that up with some thick plastic I have that's used for truck mud flaps. Glad I saw this post !