Brown model 684 brush cutter

Dargo

Rather than buy a JD MX7 rotary cutter for clearing some of the really rough stuff on my property, I think I'd rather buy a Brown 684. Here is a link to Brown's web page Brown 600 series cutters. Here is a link to the JD MX7 JD MX7 The Brown seems to be heavier built from what I can tell. Does anyone here have a Brown? If so, how do you like it?

I have a 6' rotary cutter that I mostly built myself. It weighs around 1000 pounds and has an extremely strong frame/cage around the cutter deck and a good slip clutch. However, it only has a 60 hp gear box and the deck material is not as thick as the Brown. Picking up that one extra foot in width would make a difference between having to make two passes vs. one to be able to make trails for my RTV1100 and ATV. I have so much time and money (in the steel) building the 6' cutter that I just don't have the time nor desire to build another "tank" rotary cutter. It looks like the Brown comes from the factory as close as any to meet my personally desired specs.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the Brown rotary cutters and would especially appreciate any info on how to acquire a 684 Brown for a reasonable price; either new or used. Thanks!

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't had any dealings with Brown but that thing is built like a tank!

You think Brown might be related to Bush Hog, maybe some employees who moved down the road to Dothan and went into business for themselves?

Jim

Glowplug

Hey Dargo! Long time no see! Course I've been hanging out on that 'other' tractor forum.

From what I've heard no one who has a Brown is dissastified. I had looked in to those cutters myself. What I like about it is its durability and blade tip speed. You could probably use it as a finish mower just as well as you could use it to cut down trees! I have yet to decide on a 7' rotary cutter though. But I don't think I would ever be able to lift that thing! 2,200 lbs.! Not even with MY tractor! I can't remember what tractor you have. But if your tractor can handle it I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with that cutter. The only downside I could see would possibly be parts and repairs. It's not exactly the most well-known brand out there ya know.

Rather than buy a JD MX7 rotary cutter for clearing some of the really rough stuff on my property, I think I'd rather buy a Brown 684. Here is a link to Brown's web page Brown 600 series cutters. Here is a link to the JD MX7 JD MX7 The Brown seems to be heavier built from what I can tell. Does anyone here have a Brown? If so, how do you like it?

I have a 6' rotary cutter that I mostly built myself. It weighs around 1000 pounds and has an extremely strong frame/cage around the cutter deck and a good slip clutch. However, it only has a 60 hp gear box and the deck material is not as thick as the Brown. Picking up that one extra foot in width would make a difference between having to make two passes vs. one to be able to make trails for my RTV1100 and ATV. I have so much time and money (in the steel) building the 6' cutter that I just don't have the time nor desire to build another "tank" rotary cutter. It looks like the Brown comes from the factory as close as any to meet my personally desired specs.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the Brown rotary cutters and would especially appreciate any info on how to acquire a 684 Brown for a reasonable price; either new or used. Thanks!

My guess would be to contact them and either find a seller in your area that's willing to negotiate these numbers or become a distributor yourself...:D
Brown 600 Series Heavy Duty Brush Cutters and Shredders

Effective Date: May. 1, 2008
Model # Description
List Price​
Brown 672HD
  • 6 Ft. Extra Heavy Duty Brush Cutter - 4" Capacity
  • 145 HP Gear Box @ 540 RPM - 1720# Weight - 50 HP Minimum
$ 5,670.00​
Brown 672HD-1
  • 6Ft. Extra Heavy Duty Brush Cutter - 4" Capacity
  • 145 HP Gear Box @ 1000 RPM - 1720# Weight - 50 HP Minimum
$ 5,935.00​