Shindaiwa saw ?

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
Anyone ever run one, i got one that a local saw shop i go to has let me give it a try, it's a used 575 model.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not anything new. I had an old one. It was very powerful but it was heavy and vibrated a lot. I'm sure they've gotten better over the years.

Is this where we all toss out our thoughts on Husqvarna and Stihl as well? :hide:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a Shindaiwa weed eater / saw. I got it back in 99 and it was a workhorse for me. It sawed up lots of multiflora and other nasty growth I cleared away.
The engine still works fine but the head on it broke this year. I plan to get a replacement but have not done so yet.
Overall I feel Shindaiwa makes some dang good stuff.

Toyboy

No reason to get a Shindaiwa when there is Husky and Stihl. Thats all loggers use up here in the frozen north. Whats that tell you?

whatscookin

Gold Site Supporter
What i have found out is that Echo bought them out and they do not make chainsaws anymore. I can get the saw for 100.00 but that is what has got me a pile of saws, i have a couple of Stihls,one big one small that i use but i like to tinker i guess you call it and i drag home saws from dealers that people give up on for whatever the reason,usually a fuel line or carb kit wil fix them and i get a little satisfaction doing it. I like to find the Homelite Super XL model, usually i can get them for five or ten bucks and i can bring them back to life and allot of the time they have a good bar and a new chain. I have been using airplane fuel for a couple of years now with good results, i was told it will not go stale and will not harm rubber fuel lines, they call it 100 low led.

Echo did buy/merg with Shindaiwa, and now I have to find another trimmer! All kidding aside, we run several Shindaiwa saws. 3-488 models, 2-757 models, and 2 357? (small pruning saws). After 2 years of heavy use (over 1500 trees) we have had great return. We break out the Stihl MS880 for the big stuff. Over all, I'd have to give the old Shindaiwas a nod for reliability, and ease of use. Now that Echo has bought them out.... time will tell.