Dies at Full Speed

RickW

So last night had a strange thing happen with the 1100c, it just died while driving down a paved road at wide open throttle ... twice. The RTV had been running for about 10 minutes. Water temp was normal. Ambient temp was in low 90's and had the A/C on. So I drive down the road to go check on something. On the way down there I am only going between 10~12mph and everything is fine. I get to my turn around point to start heading back towards the shop and floor it. I accelerate right up to 22mph then 23mph and then I suddenly start loosing power. I release the throttle and quickly decelerate to a stop and die. This is only about 150 yards from the point I applied full throttle. I restart the motor. It takes a little bit of cranking, about 6~8 seconds, nothing excessive. Typically I just have to bump the starter to get it to fire. Started this morning as if nothing had happened.

So I continue to head back towards the shop. Starting off slow and listening for anything different but all seems normal. I continue to apply more throttle as I listen and look for anything out of the normal. All is normal. So I am not quite at full throttle as I approach the driveway so I decide to turn around and try a full throttle run again. Again I quickly accelerate up to 22mph then 23mph and holding. Then it happens again. This time about 200 yards from when I first applied full throttle. Same thing, I can get it restarted but takes a little bit of cranking and working the throttle to get it to fire. It runs rough at first but settles out after about 8~10 seconds. I run back to the shop at about 3/4 throttle with no problems or anything odd.

Of course when I get back into the shop I don't have time to tear in to it. The wife is waiting on me for dinner and it will take another 10 minutes to put all the tools and other stuff still in the bed of the RTV away. (option just dump on to shop floor but that would be even a bigger mess then the mess in the bed)

So my first thought was fuel. I had a similar thing happen last December but I had ran the tank almost dry then. So I was figuring as I accelerated what little fuel was in the tank was sloshing to the other side and the pick-up was sucking air. This time I have 3/4 tank of fuel.

Possibly dirty fuel filter. Not even sure where the filter is. The RTV operators manual only says to service it every 500/hrs and to contact Kubota service for the task. The more I think about it the less I think it is fuel/filter. Symptoms just don't match past fuel/filter experiences and I am have burned 3x as much of the is batch of fuel in the tractor with out any issues. The tractor fuel filter & bowl look like they have just been serviced with just over 30hrs since being serviced/replaced.

Other thought that crossed my mind was a dirty hydraulic suction filter. Currently unable to get a visual on it but did run my hand around it and it does not appear to have caved in or anything. Just dirty, no moisture or grease/oil. It has Kubota filters for the hydraulic system and K2 synthetic oil.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Currently the RTV has 310 total hrs and 1304 miles. 5% of that time is hard working (moving dirt or similar) with the remaining 95% of time of just lightly used for fun running thru the woods and such.

Thanks!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sounds like a fuel filter with water in it to me. have you checked the sediment bowl? could also be a bad primary pump but i doubt it. fuel filter with sediment bowl is under the cab on the frame rail on the X1100C.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Likely the fuel filter but I had the same thing happen on 2 pieces of diesel equipment. It was the fuel lines. Not that old but todays rubber just isn't the same. I'd crank it up , turn it off and listen for a mosquito type noise- hard to hear but I heard it and new fuel lines fixed my problem. Hoping though that it's just the fuel filter. collie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
For sure a fuel situation! Seems that fuel delivery cannot keep up with the demand at full throttle and then takes quite a bit of labor to get enough for the injectors to spray enough to fire......1 cylinder, 2, and then finally they all get to firing......So, yes, the filter could be that clogged, as can the fuel lines themselves...……..For me, it was the fuel pump that I replaced with a cheapo electric...…..Good luck and God bless...…..Dennis

Luckystars

I'm betting it's a fuel filter or sediment bowl or a pinched line. It's definitely starving for fuel. Let us know what you find.

RickW

Yes, it turned out to be a fuel issue as I first suspected. I should not have ignored my gut instinct until I had taken the time to rule it.

As the only mention of the Fuel Filter in the owners manual is take to dealer at 500 hours for service. No location or replacement part number is given. I found the filter on the passengers side frame rail just below the fuel tank. I have only been under the RTV a few times in the 5 years we have owned it but never noticed the fuel filter before.

The filter was black and had sediment in the bowl. The fuel was clean and free of water. With the guard/protection shield still on I was able to remove the filter and bowl easily. The spring loaded shut off for the fuel flow made spillage/wasted fuel minimal. Luckily the RTV uses the same filter as my tractor and I always keep a few extra. After cleaning the bowl of all the sediment and installing a new filter the RTV fire right back up with out missing a beat. Then ran it a 1/2 mile down the road at full throttle with both the wife and I inside with the A/C running the RTV hit 23mph immediately and held with no problems.

Thankfully a easy fix.