How could I say no?

Mith

Picked up another GT this arvo. A nice old Howard Bolens. Its shaft drive, quite a nice bit of kit. I'll have to see if it can fire up tomorrow. The rpice was right, thats for sure :biggrin:

19-05-07_1826.jpg

Mith

Check what I found in the oil pan :D needless to say, its a non-runner. i have plans to repower however

20-05-07_1336.jpg

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Yuck...................... Time for an upgrade! So what's it going to be .... 18HP...:biggrin:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
18hp turbo!!! :thumb: vrooom vrooom! Get the yards done in 1/4 the time. :D

Mith

Only a 10HP. But its a big 10HP :D

Old engine on the left, new on the right.
22-05-07_1451.jpg

Its a real tight squeeze. Had to cut some of the chassis out, but I'll weld some reinforcement around there.
22-05-07_1750.jpg

Mith

Its in, and it works too. Got alot of 'finishing off' to do, you know, like a clutch, brakes, an off swtich, but the basics are there.
Its no beauty though :D

23-05-07_1818.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mith,
Did you ever get a chance to finish this project tractor?
Just wondering how it came out.

Mith

Doc, I parted it out the other month. I don't really have as much time as I used to, so I thought I'd focus on projects such as the loader.
I've actually got rid of so much stuff recently, and this winter I'll be getting rid of 3 more GTs, just keeping 2 of the WheelHorses, and the lawn mower.
Still, I've got a nice pile of parts to use for future projects. Infact, the rear rims off it are the ones that I widened for my new tyres, so its already payed for itself :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It's amazing how much you can make parting out some things like that.

I need to do what your are doing and have it completed by Thanksgiving. My garage and pole building are getting to look like that infamous pic of Junkman's garage and I hope to turn that trend around.

Mith

I've sold 2 gearboxes this summer, and could have could countless more if I hadn't run out. prices for new replacement parts are outrageous, so yup, you can make good money in second hand parts.
Most of the stuff I just store for my own use. I have shelves and pallets of spare parts.
I just scrap anything that I can get free or cheap, and keep the stuff worth something.