diesel fuel supplements

jdh1

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience using a diesel fuel supplement? I'm using " on road " #2 diesel and was considering using a supplement which will boost the cetane and also work as an anti gel. I figured I would only use it around freezing temps and below. According to the bottle it would only take about 1.6 ounces per 5 gals. of fuel. How about with " off road " fuel? THANKS

coobie

I have a diesel pickup truck,tractor and my kubota RTV.I have been using deisel additives in all three.I use Stanadyne performance formula and primrose 405-409 additives,and do so all year long,better safe than sorry.Some folks will call additives snake oil,but I am a firm believer in them.coobie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I use off-road or #2 heating oil almost exclusively in my tractor and RTV and have never had any performance issues.

I just use Sta-Bil in the winter to avoid any issues with gelling.

G

I've always heard to use additives liberaly. Unless you go really overboard with the mix, you can only help things. </P>

</P>

</P>

ba7man

Speaking of fuel, does anyone know if the new ULSD (ultra low sulpher diesel) fuel will pose any engine or preformance problems with an RTV? I don't think it will, buit wanted to se if anyone has some insight or knows for sure..

coobie

I was concerned with the USLDdiesel fuelalso in my new RTV.I spoke with my dealer and he showed me a letter from Kubota stateing to use Stanadyne PF additive.I have been useing Stanadyne PF diesel additive since 1999 in my Massey ferg,tractor(diesel) and my Dodge cummins diesel since 2003 with no ill effects.coobie

G

I was just at a Kubota school yesterday and this question was asked. They do not expect any problems for ULSD. They do recomend adding additional lubrication with a fuel aditive to make up for some of this change. </P>

Bio is also not approved yet. Apparently there is some concern over the long term effects of Bio on the injector pumps of some tractors. The service tech seemed to think it would be okay and only knew of one service instance in his area where they where blaming some mechanical trouble on bio diesel. Part of the reason Kubota is slow to do this is because they are also approving this for the other 500+ companies that they supply engines to. </P>

kinghill245

Since we just bought our RTV900 I called the dealer (Bobcat Central of Stockton, CA) regarding the low sulf. diesel and adding supplements. He asked the service dept and they told him that if we DID use it the warranty would be VOID! Now I'm thinking I better contact Kubota direct.</P>

K</P>