glovebox

jdh1

HI, I just purchased a glovebox by ordering the pieces separately to save money but I didn't get instructions.Does anyone know how the door gasket goes on, does it stick to the door or the box itself? There are 2 cutouts on the gasket,are they for the hinges? I don't want to stick it on until I know how it goes. Also there is so much play in the hinges that I can open it without turning the lock, just lift up on the door. I should have know better from what I read on here and not wasted my money for the box. THANKS, jdh1

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, JDH1. Yes, The glovebox isNOT something Kubota should be proud of. I bought mine when I was searching for a place to put my am/fm/wb radio. The gasket on my boxis on the inside of the door and sticks around the edge in that little groove. The only place that is notched out is above the lock on my setup. I didn't want to have to use the key to unlock mine,{ especially since it could be opened by a thief by just uncrewing the ring around the lock} So I fixed it by removing a white plastic piece I believe..... and just use something like my thumbnail to open and close it. Oh well, Mine will open unexpectedly too... Maybe the gasket will help with your play???? Once you install the box with those 2 horizontal bolts, maybe that will help some as the dash may help apply a little pressure to the box. Good Luck and I will try to check back in a few days to seehow things are going. It's starting to get busy here on the farm. Bordercollie

jdh1

the gasket i received with the door is approx. 1 1/4 inches wide by 3/8 of an inch thick. the groove on the door is only 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch wide. i'm not sure if i should cut the gasket to fit in the groove? also the gasket seems just like a piece of self adhesive weatherstripping. the piece is approx. 26 inches long with 2 cutouts approx. 4 inches from each end. its not long enough to go around the whole door, i'm wondering if its a defective piece? thanks for the reply , jdh1

G

[&]Yes, my gasket is the same size as the groove. Yours does sound like it was made to fit around the hinges. Maybe you could do a dry run? My gasket is very thin and just fits in that groove you've described. If you could get a scrap piiece of thin weatherstripping, it would be the same size and just a tiny bit higher than the groove. Your gasket may also be improved over mine to help waterproof it more.Good Luck . Bordercollie