YANMAR 4 digit models vs 3 digit models

J

jeepfreak4x4

Hey Guys -
I see most of you posting (all positive) as owners of 3 digit models. In the Charlotte NC area, there is multiple listing for 4 digit model, but the resellers don’t seem to know much about the history of the tractor. Some are actually owners that have not owned it more than a few years and of course don’t have any complaints. They simply have no use for the tractor. I like everyone am trying to get the best bang for my buck. So that being said, some of you did a great job steering me toward a Y155D (and that is not a dead issue), but I am considering several 4digit models and want to be able to make some apples to apples comps.
A YM1500 w/o a loader is $2000 up to $2500
A YM1500 w/ a loader for $3500 (and a 4ft woods finish mower)
A YM1700 w/o a loader for $2300 to $2900
A YM2000D w/ a loader for $7400
A YM2000 w/o a loader for $3700

ANYWAY - where I am going w/ this is can 4wd double a price? Can a FEL actually push a price up $1500? How do I unscramble all this and make the best choice?

What do these models align with in the Yanmar 3digit world? I hate to say it but craigslist sellers seem to put whatever HP they think a tractor has not what it is actually rated at.

Your wisdom and tutelage is always appreciated

http://hickory.craigslist.org/grd/1498071909.html

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The only one in that list that is out of line is the 2000D. For that money you could buy newer or maybe include a backhoe. And the YM2000 without loader would have to be really nice.

Beware the 'reconditioned' imports. That is a whole 'nother topic.

Yes, a loader and 4wd each add tremendous value. Once you use a loader tractor you would never pay anything for a tractor without a loader. This assumes you need a tractor for the usual broad range of rural or big-suburban chores (and only have one tractor).

4wd makes a little tractor a match to a substantially bigger 2wd tractor. It will keep moving or extricate itself where the 2wd has run out of traction. Of course you need bigger to safely handle larger loader loads but small with 4wd is surprisingly competent. It's a real tractor, not a lawnmower or 'garden tractor' even though it looks small.

Hopefully Mark or Len will add to this, but:
YM2000 = YM240 (which had added safety features for the US market)
YM1700 = YM195 (which is a junior YM240 - same except smaller cylinder bore, smaller tires, and no water pump on 1700 plus some other minor differences). Look through the Yanmar brochures referenced from my sig, below.

YM1500 no match. Sort of a 3/4 size YM2000.

YM155 = YM1401??? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Anyhow, it's similar if not real close.

Another feature that in my opinion is worth paying more for is Powershift. On flat ground it is no big deal to drive around in a single gear. Particularly with the huge torque that all Yanmar's twins have. But if you have random slopes, Powershift lets you proceed without stopping to shift. This is a great convenience. Now I have you thinking about paying a little more .... it's fun to spend other people's money! :D

Mark777

The only one in that list that is out of line is the 2000D.

Beware the 'reconditioned' imports. That is a whole 'nother topic.

Yes, a loader and 4wd each add tremendous value.

4wd makes a little tractor a match to a substantially bigger 2wd tractor.

YM2000 = YM240 (which had added safety features for the US market)
YM1700 = YM195 (which is a junior YM240 - same except smaller cylinder bore

YM1500 no match. Sort of a 3/4 size YM2000.

YM155 = YM1401??? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this one. Anyhow, it's similar if not real close.

Another feature that in my opinion is worth paying more for is Powershift. :D

Hey Jeepfreak,

California is spot on....(except the 155D = 1300D are nearly identical) :starbucks:

Mark

J

jeepfreak4x4

Hey - Guys
Just thought I'd drop a note back in on you and let you know I finally gave in and bought that Y155D is was going on and on about.
Of course a week later there was a 1700D for the same price and more toys to go with it. But I love it. I'll get some pictures up soon along w/ the crazy story to boot.

Later - and Thanks Again

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Jeepfreak!!!!! Santa came early for you this year, huh?
Looking forward to seeing some pics. :thumb:

J

jeepfreak4x4

Gotta love that Green

Here's what i got - Copied from my facebook page.
This has turned well for me already. I flew all the way home from Boston on a Friday to pick it up, then back to Boston Monday. The things we do...

Attachments

• Little_Green3.jpg
    Little_Green3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Little_Green1.jpg
    Little_Green1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 149
  • blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Stay'n_Warm.jpg
    Stay'n_Warm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Cultivator_Plow.jpg
    Cultivator_Plow.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 143
J

jeepfreak4x4

I am looking for a ROPS to fit this tiny thing, as well as tiller.
Of course all the sellers tell me "of course my tiller will fit your Yanmar, but I'm more than sure 60" is too big. I'm thinking 48" is pushing the limits to be honest. I am just love'n the thing regardless, and cant wait to gets some manure on the ground, and turn some soil.

Tvern13

Wow - that yanmar looks to be in really good shape. You're going to wonder how you got along without it. Congrats!!! Don't forget to post up some pictures of projects and good luck. I've got a Yanmar 1610D and it really has been handy. Eventually I need to get a ROPS on mine also.

redman

I am looking for a ROPS to fit this tiny thing, as well as tiller.
Of course all the sellers tell me "of course my tiller will fit your Yanmar, but I'm more than sure 60" is too big. I'm thinking 48" is pushing the limits to be honest. I am just love'n the thing regardless, and cant wait to gets some manure on the ground, and turn some soil.

tractor looks like it is ready to work..but my 2 cents about the tiller is go with no more than a 48inch..i had a 1500 and it was perfect for the tractor..just don,t cut to deep at each pass..it will pulverize the ground..and looks almost like it would grow a marble