Unable to Remove HVT Trans Filter on 50HR Service?

OK, it's been a while since I've posted, but I am read everything.
Those who contribute regularly, THANKS!!!

Now, on to the question: Has anyone, who performed their own services encountered difficulty in removing the filters for the first 50 hour service? I performed mine (base on my dealers advice, since it is relatively easy...) and had no problems, except when it came time to remove the HVT Yellow Trans filter (it sits above the rear passenger axle). I couldn't remove it! It was on with superglue!! What prompted me to inquire is because it is on so tight that the housing that the filter screws into began to rotate!!! That's when I stopped and said, this isn't right. I called my dealer, who promptly had the Service Manager call me, and will be sending a Road Service Crew, to remove the filter and insure all is well. No meniton of costs to me, which I will not pay, as removing a filter should not be this difficult. I conveyed to them that it seems to me that when the vehicle was assembled, somehow this filter was rotated a little too far, so I expect this issue to be covered under warranty.

Has anybody experienced a similar challenge?

Again, to those who contribute regularly, we do appreciate it!!

SCO

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SCO,

I don't recall having any particular problems with that filter. Now, I will say that darn near every filter on any engine is put on too tight at the factory. I just changed my ZTR and truck engine oil for the first time a couple weeks ago. Just to get them off mangled the original filter...

Let us know how it goes after the service crew takes a shot at it.

G

Tight filters are normal, but I am having a hard time understanding the hosuing behind it rotating. Let us know what you find. </P>

fastmvr

Stoney, I did my own filter changeout for the 50-hr and had no problem with either filter. Of course I use my old one-size-fits-all strap type filter removal device and that thing allows you to use practically an unlimited amout of torque to loosen the filter. It couples to a 1/2" drive ratchet and has really come in handy through the years. Most auto parts stores carry them I expect. Best of luck and I'll be watching to see how yours turns out.

RTV900

I did think the filters were a little tight but I did get them off. It was the transmission plug that was killer. U-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e! I was starting to think it had an opposite thread.</P>

RTV900

As long as we are talking about RTV900 service what did you guys use for spray type grease. I'm thinking of fogging the whole vehicle with oil?</P>

doggman

I mangled mine taking them off for the first time. The regular oil filter strap type wrenches just crushed the cans. I wound up using giant Channel Locks to remove the wreckage. </P>

Note: When I bought the Super UDT for the 50 hour change from the parts/service counter, the parts man told me nobody uses the stuff. I bought it anyway since the text in the manual says to use it. The lube chart mentions both types.</P>

If you oil fog the machine and drive in dusty conditions you'll probably wind up driving a giant dust bunny...</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="doggman"]Note: When I bought the Super UDT for the 50 hour change from the parts/service counter, the parts man told me nobody uses the stuff. I bought it anyway since the text in the manual says to use it. The lube chart mentions both types.[/quote]
Although not specific to the RTV (although it's happened), if it says to use UDT (or Super UDT under extreme weather conditions, DO IT!!!! I've seen many that tried substitutes and had true performance issues.

[quote user="doggman"]If you oil fog the machine and drive in dusty conditions you'll probably wind up driving a giant dust bunny...[/quote]
That's what I would think as well. I did my quarterly pressure washing of the tractor and RTV yesterday. If just blowing off dust, they look like new. I think it would be more of an issue if coated with oil.

BTW for RTV900 - What happened to your pics on UORC with your tracks on? I wanted to refer a couple people to your pics but they wouldn't come up. (I especially like the one where you were moving a friend...).

G

<DIV>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Ya, think I'll hold off on fogging. Thinks for the input.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>One other think I'd like to ask about.The rubber cap for the transmission filler spout. Min<SPAN class=915591618-25072006>e</SPAN> had a stainless steel fiber pad in it<SPAN class=915591618-25072006>.</SPAN><SPAN class=915591618-25072006>D</SPAN>oes the transmission need to breath or something. Why didn't Kubota place a better cap on the transmission, threaded or something.<SPAN class=915591618-25072006> I'm thinking about putting a hose clamp around it.</SPAN></FONT></FONT></P></DIV>

ANONYMOUS WROTE: "One other think I'd like to ask about. The rubber cap for the transmission filler spout. Mine had a stainless steel fiber pad in it. Does the transmission need to breath or something."

I inquired to the Service tech, that came out to my farm, about the stainless pad. He said is is exactly for what you said, to allow air in/out.

SCO

The Road Service crew arrived, as planned at 7:30am this morning. Jim even called the day before to confirm appointment.

He told me there has been only a few RTV's that experienced a similar issue and all were due to the same cause: The nut that holds the housing (that the filter spins onto) isn't tightened enough at the factory. When the filter is attempted to be removed, the nut gives before the seal on the filter, and alas, you have a filter you can't get off and a housing that spins.

He did have to use large lock-jaw pliers to hold the housing, just a bit, while turning the filter. He did have to ram a screw driver through the filter to get it to turn, then used a traditional filter wrench, to remove it the rest of the way.

After getting the filter off he did tighten the nut (in the center) AND HE PUT QUITE A BIT OF TORQUE INTO HIS GRIP. I suggest to everyone who performs their own service to check this nut next time you change the filter. Tighten it!

I was very pleased the dealer did not charge anything. No cost for the "AT HOME" Service Call, or the Tech's time!

SCO

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SCO,

Glad to hear everything worked out. I'll try to remember to check that flange/housing bolt next time I change the fluid.

Anonymous. Not sure what year RTV you have but the earlier 2004 models didn't have a breathing filler cap for the hyd. lift reservoir. This is since been changed as well. If you have an '04 model, you may want to see if you're supposed to replace that cap.

Brian

RTV900

[quote user="bczoom"]
Anonymous. Not sure what year RTV you have but the earlier 2004 models didn't have a breathing filler cap for the hyd. lift reservoir. This is since been changed as well. If you have an '04 model, you may want to see if you're supposed to replace that cap.

Brian
[/quote]</P>

Sorry, didn't relize I was not logged in. I've got an 05. It just has a rubber loose fitting cap that fits over the top if a pipe comming from the transmission.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
RTV900 - You're OK.

I was referring to the hyd reservoir that's way in the back (just above the filters) that had an issue with the cap in the 2004 models.

G

I know this is an old topic, but there is one thing that no one mentioned. As long as your RTV is still under warranty it is advised to use the appropriate oil "UDT" for the service intervals. If there is a failure within the HST unit and they can prove through sales records or other that you haven't been buying/using approved Kubota oil, there is a chance they can void your warranty.

As was asked before, and replacement trans/hydr oil that can be used,..

Agco Permatran III or also called "821"

Jason