RTV Hydrostat

ZEP2

All,</P>

Seems like a great Forum here. I have a RTV900 that I use for occcasional hunting / hauling firewood / etc.... Love it to date, but only have 53 hours on it so far (pretty much a garage queen for it's first year!!!!). I just went over my 1 year of ownership and now have the front driveshaft rattle. Just started when I had it out this weekend, seems odd not to have it from the start but hopefully it can still be covered. The real reason for this post is a question I have about the hydrostat. I am currently researching a purchase of another UTV for play use. I found the following comment in one of the ATV forums for the Poalris XP:</P>

----"<FONT face=Arial size=2>THe KUBOTAs are what are Unreliable, that fully Hydrostate system is unproven and unreliable, it is not the same as what is in the tractors it is made by someone else also... "---------</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>First off, is this true? Seems like it could be some mud slinging by some jealous folks, but thought you guys may have some thoughts or insight on this. </FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Also, are there any high hour RTV's out there. My dad seemed to always get 2K+ hours out of his Kubota tractors with no issues (with reg service). Hpefully the same will hold true for the RTV's.</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks....</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></P>

doggman

Sounds like someone has envy issues. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it. </P>

Virtually all equipment and auto manufacturers use subcontractors to make some of their parts and assemblies. Auto window stickers will say what percentage is made in the USA and elsewhere, for example. It doesn't state who makes what, though. </P>

Kioti Tractor, in Korea, used to make some of the assemblies for Kubota. The roll cage for your Kubota probably came froma USA sub.But they're still Kubota concepts. John Deere Gators use non-JD engines. Compact JD tractors use non-JD running gear. But they're still JD. </P>

I will say that the RTV900 transmission and 4WD linkage/selectors are sticky and sometimes SEEM unreliable until you learn their quirks.Kubota couldand shouldimprove that area. I don't have anylinkage issues on my bigger Kubotas tractors with hydrostats. If they would go with electric-over-hydraulic controls they'd really have something.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum ZEP2.

Yep... I too would call it mud-slinging. I just read an article the other day from a farm magazine which rated all the UTV's. For quality, the RTV was on top.

The member bordercollie on this forum has somewhere between 700-800 hours on his and it's still going strong. I was at the dealer yesterday and he mentioned a RTV with close to 1000 hours on it. Everything was still going strong but the body had taken serious abuse by the owners (who are using it to build a golf course).

G

[quote user="doggman"]

</P>

Kioti Tractor, in Korea, used to make some of the assemblies for Kubota. The roll cage for your Kubota probably came froma USA sub.But they're still Kubota concepts.</P>

[/quote]</P>

For the record, this is not true. There has never been any relationship between these two companies. Infact, Kubota sued Kioti over the fact that their dealers where telling customers that Kioti built Kubota's machines and that they where the same. </P>

To my knowledge I believe Kubota is building the HST in the RTV.As a whole the company does very little outsoucing compared to others in this buiness. Thats a large part of the reason why Kubota's machines are rather affordable. I could be wrong, but outsourcing a transmissionis traditionaly not the way they do business. Roll cages specificly are always stamped with the manufacturer and testing certifications. I can't ever recall seeing one without Kubota's name on it.</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!! I haven't been able to get on the computer for a while so I'm sorry for the late reply. I believe the Kubota RTV is the "BOSS". Yes, I have 943 hours on mine. I bought it late Feb. 05. It runs great and once you know how to handle the trans,it will go anywhere... if you have mud tires. Listen to forum members on how to use the trans and you will be happy. The engine is great as is the warranty. The only thing I would change if I were the engineers would be factory standard backup lights and the air intake location.I changed my intake location after buying so many air cleaners.. Keep the oil clean and she will keep going. I had a 3010 Mule before and it was more like a golf cart.This is more like a jeep. So easy to get in and out of.I use mine every day on the farm .. How 'bout that power steering!!!Let the wind blow thru your hair and enjoy your RTV . The're GRrrreat!!! Bordercollie

Ricochet

[quote user="MessickFarmEqu"][quote user="doggman"]

</P>

Kioti Tractor, in Korea, used to make some of the assemblies for Kubota. The roll cage for your Kubota probably came froma USA sub.But they're still Kubota concepts.</P>

[/quote]</P>

For the record, this is not true. There has never been any relationship between these two companies. Infact, Kubota sued Kioti over the fact that their dealers where telling customers that Kioti built Kubota's machines and that they where the same. </P>

To my knowledge I believe Kubota is building the HST in the RTV.As a whole the company does very little outsoucing compared to others in this buiness. Thats a large part of the reason why Kubota's machines are rather affordable. I could be wrong, but outsourcing a transmissionis traditionaly not the way they do business. Roll cages specificly are always stamped with the manufacturer and testing certifications. I can't ever recall seeing one without Kubota's name on it.</P>

[/quote]</P>

Neil knows his stuff. Kubota (Seiki)makes all of their HST transmissions in Japan with 1 exception theT-series T/M, which is made in the USA by Hydrogear (they maketons of T/Ms for riding mowers of all makes). ROPS are made by other companies within the USA and Japan (for the big stuff), but designed by Kubota.</P>

Lastly, I know of several RTVs with well over 1,000 hours on them and still running well...some of these that I'm thinking of probably have around 2,000 hours on them now. The RTV900 VHT T/M is very reliable, especially if you compare it to the crap the Gator has in it or the Mule CVT belt drive T/M (they have gotten better/tougher though).</P>

G

The only thing right now in my experience to fail the HST in the RTV's are:

1. Colapsed suction line to the charge pump,..
2. Contamination do to lack of service/ or other
3. Hitting a rock and splitting the rear HST housing.<--dont ask still have to repair

Since these machines came out, I have only had to rebuild 1 HST unit,.. which I may add are VERY easy to do. And it had a pinched suction line to the charge pump. We have sold about over 50 units, since picking them in 2004. We sell full line of Kubota products and parts.

Jason