Blizzard snow plows verses kubota(curtis)

coobie

I have been looking at the kubota snowplows made by curtis.The curtis plows are around $1500 installed.I have also been checking into the Blizzard brand which are all hydrolic verses the curtis manual angle and electric lift.The blizzard brand has in cab joy stick lift and angle and seems more heavy dutyverses the curtis,but with a hefty price tag of $3000 installed.Has anyone have any experience with curtis or blizzard plows good or bad?Thanks for any information.coobie

ba7man

Coobie; I used the Kubota (Curtis) slow last year here in Alaska. Installation and workman ship were great! (I installed it myself in one evening). WE used it around the hoiuse and at our apartment building clearing the large driveway, sidewalks and most of the public road (just for the fun of it). I was a little concerned about the electric lift, buyt the whole thing worked so good, I can imagine anything being easier and the Kubota wil not stop pushing. Add side wings to "carry" more snow and you're set. The manual angle is very easy, and I usually need to spot and stand a second anyway. I think it is great!! Good luck.

larryRB

Curtis is made right up the street from me, and I turned it down.. I have a "Diamond" brand, which is built much more stout than any Curtis and the prices are identical

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ba7man"]Add side wings to "carry" more snow and you're set.[/quote]
I don't know if I would do that for S. MI snow... It's a lot heavier than the stuff you get up in Alaska.

coobie

I talked tomy kubotadealer today about the two plows,curtis and blizzard he tells me the blizzard is alot easier to put on and take off.He also tells me the blizzard is alot more heavy duty plow verses the curtis and will last a life time.I was also told that blizzard plow companywere bought by western plow company and are now one in the same.This stuff sure gets confusng sometimes.Thanks for all the replys so far.I will have to make a choice in the next few weeks,I am leaning towards the Blizzard plow so far.coobie

larryRB

I would suggest you go to Blizzards home page first, Then visit plowsite.com and visit letstalksnow.com. A lot of nice things about blizzard being said in these forums mentioned above. Also, one very negative thing mentioned frequently. Blizzards (ARE) extremely heavy.. I have the Kubota L 48 TLB which is a pretty stout machine and I wouldn't hang a Blizzard plow off the front for all the tea in China.. Don't know about you or you're predicament, however, I've been plowing professionaly way over thirty years,,, Town highway dep'ts, out farm, commercial and residential.. You need one heavy front end to hold a Blizzard plow and I don't see any compact tractor regardless of name brand that can hold this plow the life time of said tractor. I ordered a Curtis plow and lo and behold, the dealer, Messick's offered a new option that year, called Diamond. Built specifically for compact tractors.. Diamond in twice the weight of a Curtiss, two thirds less than a Blizzard and does an awesome job. Priced right too...

coobie

I have went to Blizzards website.The plow #I am looking at is the model 680 LT total weight of the plow is 375 lbs.it is a quick detach model.I had the HD springs added up front when I ordered my RTV 900 so I think it will hold the extra weight.coobie

G

Yea, gotta clarily that there is a plow for an RTV, there is quite a bit of difference between these and the blades used on compact tractors. I've been pretty happy with the curtis/kubota blade. The hydraulic angle kit is worth the cash in my opinion.</P>

Of course not much will push like Larry's tractor and diamond plow!</P>

larryRB

See,</P>

I just recently read where this guy wants a plow for a RTV.. All along I had the impression he wanted one for a tractor... I stand by what I said, in that a Blizzard plow, full sized versions of 7 ft and above, are too heavy for tractors...</P>

coobie

Ihave been doing some more research on snow plows for the RTV900.It seems that blizzard snow plows (model 680lt) have had quite a price increase since last year ($2800 installed last years price)This years priceis $3500 installed[:'(] Needless to say I will not pay that price for the blizzard plow,I don,t care on how heavy duty it is.I will be reconsidering the curtis snowplow ($1500 installed,electric lift & manual angle)and Blackline snowplows.Blackline plows seem like a nice setup.coobie

G

Don't forget to upgrade to the heavy front strut coils if you haven't already.

G

I've sold a few of the blackline plows.They are nice, real easy on and off and a piece of cake to install. I do not think its quite as heavy as the Kubota/Curtis plow. I'd be concerned if you'd catch the corner of the blackline as its only supported by the front reciever mount. There is a trade off, ease of use and convienance - or durability. </P>

</P>

coobie

I have looked at the ease of use with the blackline,and do have some concerns about the front reciever mount.I would like to see one in person before I buy one.Local Kubota dealeris going to test some on a RTV here in a few weeks,can,t wait to see the outcome.

coobie

WHOOWEE !! My head hurts.I have done way to much thinking on this snowplow thing.I ended up ordering the kubota/curtis (manual) snowplow today.I hope she holds up well to a good michigan winter of snow plowing[:D]coobie.PS,thanks for your post Messick farms,you swayed me away from the blackline plows as far as the heavy duty part.