John Deere GT 235

sniezyk

Hello

I have a 5 year old GT 235 and I am having a problem. I attached a few pictures so you can have a look at the tractor, but I think maybe the tractor is vapor locked.

It had a new fuel filter installed in November, and I replaced the fuel pump today ( December 14th ) but the tractor still continues to have the same problem.

I start the tractor and it runs for about 20 or 30 minutes and then it starts to idle rough and stalls out, very much like it is running out of gas, even though the tank is full. I then have to wait about 10 minutes before I can start the tractor back up and then it only runs for a few minutes and shuts down again.

If you look at the fuel filter, you can see there is barely any gas in the line, and this is why I replaced the pump today, thinking the vacuum from the pump wasnt working properly. After changing the pump I am still having the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks - Mike

Attachments

• JD 001.jpg
    JD 001.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 62
  • JD 002.jpg
    JD 002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
  • JD 003.jpg
    JD 003.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 62
  • JD 004.jpg
    JD 004.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 61
  • JD 005.jpg
    JD 005.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 62

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Could it be possible that the vent for the fuel tank is plugged?

If the fuel cap is vented, try leaving it loose, just a little to see if it runs longer. Water in the vent, frozen, could be blocking the air from getting in.

If the cap is not vented, then there should be a vent line attached to the tank and it could be plugged. Again possibly frozen water in the line.

On another type of machine, my own RTV, I replaced the fuel filter with a water separator type and didn't notice I kinked the hose. It would run, quit, re-start and quit. Hard to find and had to visual see every inch of the fuel line to find the kink.

sniezyk

So I had a thought that maybe the fuel filter I replaced in November wasnt any good, so I went back to John Deere today and bought another fuel filter and replaced the other one. When I pulled the filter gas was squirting out of both sides of the line, so that leads me to believe nothing is plugged or kinked. I put the new filter on and I noticed the filter fill with gas, so I thought I was golden for a moment.

I ran the tractor up and down the street for about 15 minutes and noticed it was starting to sputter so I got it home and when I pulled the hood I noticed the damn fuel filter had barely any fuel in it again.... I dont know...

RJ - Gas seems to be flowing through the line, so I dont think thats the problem.

Spud - Ya I thought maybe it was the cap also, so I actually took the cap completely off and ran the tractor, but it made no difference.

To me it almost seems like Im not getting fuel to pull through the line, maybe the carburetor???

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi, And did it have this problem before the fuel filter was changed? I have had problems with fuel lines sucking air into the system and then the system losing prime.Old fuel lines sucking air can make for a hard start as the fuel has to be pumped up each time and then after it settles over night the same thing will happen the next day. But then it usually runs right unless the is a big air leak. Also for the record, the clamps(or brittle hoses)were tight enough that diesel didn't leak out but air could leak in. You may wish if it isn't the vent blocked to try this.: detach the fuel line from the filter and turn the key to where the fuel pump will operate to see if it will shoot fuel out of the hose , you may also want to make sure the hose is not blocked coming from the tank. You might could do this by either carefully blowing back with air in the loosened hose after detaching from the pump or by the same from the exit point on the tank. I put all new fuel lines on my case skid steer after the symptoms I mentioned and it has worked fine. same thing happened to several pieces of equipment and it was all in the fuel lines or the used clamps . A JD mechanic missed this on the big7420 tractor after replacing the fuel pump and charging us over 1200. Same thing happened the next day and I jumped off the tractor after attempting to crank and could ever so slightly hear the mosquito like noise of air sucking in the system , Put on a new clamp and it has cranked like a charm since. same goes for the skid steer and new hoses/clamps, my 332 mower and of coarse 7420 tractor.This was a long ramble but I wanted to mention just in case it might help someone save $$. If you have fuel pushing out of the hose when you check the pump , you might want to progress toward the carb to see if it goes all the way there under pressure.Also, did it do this when the weather was above freezing? Good Luck, Bordercollie

Last edited:

Red Beard

Also had a similar problem. Replaced all the lines and filters, cleaned the tank really well, checked the pump and same thing. I finally found a little bunch of lint like stuff inside a banjo fitting. You never know! Have fun!!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Another long shot before you get into cleaning the carb ports. But ..anyway.. some of those mufflers have a spark arrestor screen in them -and some don't. Sometimes, after warm up they can cause similar problems.. so can a bad/loose spark plug or wire. Bordercollie

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I'd go with these guys, the fuel lines and tank cleaning.

If it runs fine and just runs out of fuel it is not likely the carb at fault.

Small pin hole in a line or lint or perhaps because it is cold, ice in the tank.